Ask a question
Making Waves
sbarkham

Torrent Speeds

Hi,

Do Virgin Media throttle torrents? I can NEVER get above 3-5kb/s via torrent but can get up to 3mb/s via http downloads. I am on the 30MB package and get 30-31mb/s

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Wizard
ColinTaylor

Re: Torrent Speeds

sbarkham wrote:

Hi,

Do Virgin Media throttle torrents? I can NEVER get above 3-5kb/s via torrent but can get up to 3mb/s via http downloads. I am on the 30MB package and get 30-31mb/s

Thanks

Yes

http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy.html

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
sbarkham

Thanks, looks like im been throttled then :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Freakishly Helpful
jhuk

To answer your question in the way you meant it, NO!

VM Traffic shape all after a certain amount but you should be able to get your 30Mb/Sec on Torrents as I sure do.

You need to find a good upload speed not to low so you get good download from others and not your full upload speed as it will kill your download speed.

Also if your Hardware Firewall (Router) and Software Firewall are not configured fully for your torrent client you will not be full connectible and speed will be far slower.

I do not know what client your using but the one I use will tell em if I am not connectible with a yellow light and my speeds will be slower till I get it to turn green.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
Mutt

Have you forwarded the port you use for torrents on the superhub?  If not, check your torrent client settings and you should see which port is being used. Copy it for pasting later.   Depending on your client you might also see a "randomize" option for the port.  Untick that.

When you forward the port on the superhub you'll also be requested to enter your local IP address.  Open up a command prompt and type:  ipconfig   Make a note of the IPv4 address.

Log in to the superhub then choose the "Port Fowarding" option.  Under the "Add Custom Rules" section you'll need to give the rule a name, start port, end port, protocol and Local IP address. 

Here's an example:

Name:  Torrent

Start Port:  63012  (This is the port you see on your torrent client)

End Port:  63012  (You're only using one port so start and end ports are the same)

Protocol:  Both (TCP and UDP ports)

Local IP Address:  192.168.0.x  (This is the IPv4 address you noted down earlier)

Once you've entered all that click "add" and restart your torrent client.  If you don't see an increase in torrent speeds change the port on your torrent client and edit the rule you just created on the superhub to reflect the port change.

It's up to you what port you choose but I like to use a port in the 50000 - 65000 range.  Works for me.

Forwarding the port used for torrents should help a lot but if you need to tweak further follow the advice HERE

You may already know this stuff but it might be of use to someone.

Matt

Please use plain text.
Wizard
ColinTaylor

jhuk wrote:

To answer your question in the way you meant it, NO!

VM Traffic shape all after a certain amount but you should be able to get your 30Mb/Sec on Torrents as I sure do.

But please bear in mind that the following is in addition to VM's usual traffic management:

"File sharing

We moderate the total volume of file sharing traffic on our network between 5pm and midnight on weekdays and midday and midnight on weekends. This policy, which applies to all broadband packages, is restricted to Peer to Peer ("P2P") applications and Newsgroups (which are commonly used to distribute large amounts of data)

This policy does not impact any applications other than Peer to Peer and Newsgroups, so things like watching iPlayer, online gaming, making calls via Skype, downloading music tracks from iTunes or streaming them from Spotify and sending an email or normal browsing are unaffected.

It's important to remember that these traffic management policies only apply at peak times when speeds are most likely to be affected by people using more than their fair share. Outside of peak times we do not manage traffic."

Please use plain text.
Freakishly Helpful
jhuk

[ Edited ]

Still has absolutely nothing to do with his issue as he is only getting a few Kb/Sec so could not even download enough to be Traffic Shaped in any zone

He is talking about can he ever get fast speeds on Torrents and the answer is yes he can and should be able to get his MAX speed until he hits Traffic Shaping!

His Torrent Client+Soft/Hard Firewalls all need looked at and configured properly IMO.

So basically both your posts do not help him in the slightest and quoting VM BS TS policy to me is as waste of time as I already know all that!

Please use plain text.
Wizard
ColinTaylor

[ Edited ]

jhuk wrote:

So basically both your posts do not help him in the slightest and quoting VM BS TS policy to me is as waste of time as I already know all that!

OK, chill out man. There's no need to be rude.

I was quoting the TS policy for the benefit of the OP not yourself, as that part of the policy is often overlooked.

Also, we don't know for sure what times of day he has tried using his torrents. As the policy applies Monday to Friday 17:00 to 00:00 and Saturday to Sunday 12:00 to 00:00 irrespective of how much he has downloaded, he may just have tried within these times.  After all, some of us have jobs to go to.

That doesn't mean that I disagree with your posts though.

Anyway, armed with all this information the OP should now be able to determine where the problem lies.

apcyberax explains it better than I can.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Fibre-optic-broadband-cable/Usenet-is-too-slow-packet-loss-in-ga...

Please use plain text.
Freakishly Helpful
jhuk

It makes no difference what time he uses his Torrents as if he only gets 3-5KB/Sec he will never reach TS trigger, that is dial up speed.

I ain't being rude but nothing you have said helps him remotely.

Please use plain text.
Wizard
ColinTaylor

[ Edited ]

jhuk wrote:

It makes no difference what time he uses his Torrents as if he only gets 3-5KB/Sec he will never reach TS trigger, that is dial up speed.

The point I was trying to make, admittedly very badly, is that with P2P there is no personal trigger level.

According to apcyberax's post the trigger is done on a network (presumably that means "area") basis.  Therefore it is possible to have not downloaded anything at all and still be squeezed down to almost nothing from the start. Theoretically.

I'm not disagreeing with the valuable information you and Mutt have posted.  I'm just saying that it's something else to consider.

Please use plain text.