Searching for something?
Crafty
angeloedades
Helpful Answer

Superhub - cannot change the subnet mask

Hi All, 

Can someone please tell me whether this is a joke or by design - Why cant I change the subnet mask for my superhub (For my local LAN configuration) ?

Currently all the bits are field in up to /24 (255.255.255.*) and I am only left with the last 8 bits to configure. 

Can someone please shed a light into this?

Angelo Edades

Please use plain text.
Crafty
angeloedades

Re: Superhub - cannot change the subnet mask

Anyone any info at all?

Angelo Edades
Please use plain text.
Good to Know
Bri_G

Hi angeloedades,

They are all like that.

Is there any particular reason you want to change the subnet, having a local ip range should suffice your needs for a home network.

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.
Crafty
angeloedades

Hi Bri_G

thank you for taking the time to reply.

Unfortunately even as a home user and an IT professional designing a network in /24 range does not suffice for my needs (I will be having physical machines, networking devices, virtual machines and other little things that will need an allocated IP address (this is then incorporated in my /22 design)).

Do you think there will be any plans for this obscene limitation to the removed?

If not then I guess I will have to have to work around this limitation.

Any more information would be of great help.

Angelo Edades

Please use plain text.
Fix-a-Lot
legacy1

Its not like the Superhub is a Enterprise bit of kit and I doubt it can handle more then 253 connections to the internet with the NAT its got the mappings and collision remapping would likely be too much for it.

------------------Die-hard direct connection modem user :smileytongue:
Believing is catch 22 the VMDG280 should never of been made the Super hubs 1 & 2 could have been built better the years go by and we can't see the mistakes that were made to make things right.
The more that use modem mode the more we need IPv6: Pingtest, BQM, Speed Test, Outgoing ports test
Please use plain text.
Crafty
angeloedades

Hi legacy1,

I am aware that the superhub is not an enterprise product.

My point being is that I would of advantage if it can sit on the same subnet... I will be having other dedicated switches and other networking appliance.

Angelo Edades
Please use plain text.
Fix-a-Lot
legacy1

Having it sit on the same subnet is one thing but are you expecting to use the hubs DHCP server to handle more then 253 in a table of who’s got what? As well as internet access?

Believing is catch 22 the VMDG280 should never of been made the Super hubs 1 & 2 could have been built better the years go by and we can't see the mistakes that were made to make things right.
The more that use modem mode the more we need IPv6: Pingtest, BQM, Speed Test, Outgoing ports test
Please use plain text.
Good to Know
Bri_G

All I can suggest is Bridge Mode with additional router(s) for your subnet(s).

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.
Crafty
angeloedades

Hi legacy1

The superhub will only act as a gateway as DHCP / DNS will be delegated to the domain controller.

It is intended in this design to only relaye packets out wards.

Angelo Edades
Please use plain text.
Fix-a-Lot
legacy1

angeloedades wrote:
Hi legacy1

The superhub will only act as a gateway as DHCP / DNS will be delegated to the domain controller.

It is intended in this design to only relaye packets out wards.

Angelo Edades

Ok but still the NAT the superhub has for the gateway maybe too much for it if too many connections are made outwards to the internet.

None of which matters since the subnet is locked in place...

Please use plain text.