Ask a question
One to Watch
robjewitt
Helpful Answer

Super Hub and Apple Time Capsule

I've had the Super Hub delivered as part of the upgrade to 30 mb but I don't want to use the thing as a router as this will mess up my Apple Time Capsule and Airport Extreme network.  

Is there any way to make the router act as a modem only?

Please use plain text.
Boffin
Incognito

Re: Super Hub and Apple Time Capsule

[ Edited ]

Hey,

The 'official' solution is being tested by VM at the moment and will be rolled out in the future via a firmware update (testing in April) that will allow you to put the SuperHub into 'Bridge Mode' and thus being able to use it solely as a modem. For more information see:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Fibre-optic-broadband-cable/Superhub-Firmware-Update-Bridge-Mode...

However, at this time there have been user work-arounds allowing utilisation of a separate router to some degree. Be warned though, these methods aren't perfect but are the only option until the firmware update is released. The below guide should be enough to get you off the ground with this:

http://www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/faqs/167-how-to-connect-a-router-to-the-virgin-media-super-hu...

Regards,

Incognito

----------------------------------------------------
Regards,
Incognito
----------
I like to think I know my stuff... Some people tell me I do and the others, well, they rarely say otherwise twice...

Nope, still learning...
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
robjewitt

Hi there - thanks for the update.  I'll keep my eyes peeled (and the Super Hub in its box)

Please use plain text.
Superuser
Sephiroth

If you search the forum on Airport Extreme, I posted guidanxce for somebody needing to attach the AE onto the Hub.  It worked - but I'll have to leave you to find the thread. 

Seph - (My advice is at your risk)

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
robjewitt

Would that be this post?  If so, I think it refers back to one of the links mentioned above

Please use plain text.
Superuser
Sephiroth

I don't know anything about the link you posted because it didn't take me to any post of mine.  But the guy on the Apple forum may have got one thing wrong.  If you place the AE ino the DMZ of the SuperDud, then it lives in the same subnet and you have the Dud's ethernet ports available to you as well.

As you can't find my stuff, here's more or less what I would have said:

ATTACH A ROUTER TO A VM HUB

• Plug your cable router’s WAN port into any of the LAN ports on the Hub.

• Plug your PC into any Hub LAN port and access the management page. 192.168.0.1

• On the LAN IP page examine the DHCP lease info; you should see your PC and the second router. Note the MAC address of the (second) router and add it to the DHCP reservation section and give the second router an IP address of say 192.168.0.10. (Use ipconfig/all in a cmd window to find the MAC address of your PC if your not sure which is which.)

• Now go to the DMZ host page on the Hub and enter the same IP address (e.g. 192.168.0.10). This means that the Hub will pass all traffic to the second router without any checks or filters. The second router will be in the same subnet as the router side of the Hub.

• Turn off the second router and back on again, plug your PC into the second router, login and, if necessary, set the router’s login page to "Does your Internet connection require a login" to NO and then you should see the WAN or internet as 192.168.0.10.

• You’re ready

• Don't forget to disable wireless on the Hub and use the wireless on the second router. You should also turn the firewall off on the Hub and disable the IP Flood Detection facility. By the way, you now have the use of the ethernet ports on both routers.

AIRPORT EXTREME CONFIGURED FOR VIRGIN CABLE

AE = Airport Extreme

AU = Airport Utility

AU->Manual Setup->Internet->Internet Connection->Connection Sharing->Share a public IP Address).

Check/configure:

--\Manual Setup

----\Internet

------\TCP/IP

--------Configure IPv4 -> Using DHCP

--------IP Address -> Renew lease (should set itself to your VM static ip-address)

--------DNS Servers -> set to the OPENDNS values. 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220

------\DHCP

--------DHCP Beginning Address -> 192.168.1.1 (just a suggestion)

--------DHCP Ending Address -> 192.168.1.200

------\NAT

--------Enable default host -> (untick and leave blank)

--------Enable NAT Port Mapping Protocol -> tick

If the light turns green, it won’t be necessary to switch off all PCs & networking equipment and switch back on (slowly) in order, VM modem --> AE --> any powerlines or switches --> finally PC/Laptop/XBox etc

Hope that helps

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
robjewitt

Thanks for this advice, Sephiroth

Followed your instructions up until this point:

• Turn off the second router and back on again, plug your PC into the second router, login and, if necessary, set the router’s login page to "Does your Internet connection require a login" to NO and then you should see the WAN or internet as 192.168.0.10.

Because I was using a Time Capsule/Airport Extreme there is no traditional router login (192.168.0.1). Apple users need to login to their Airport Utility and switch their second router into Bridge Mode [Manual Setup >> Internet >> Internet Connection >> Connection Sharing >> Off (Bridge Mode)]

From that point on I went back to your instructions:

• Don't forget to disable wireless on the Hub and use the wireless on the second router. You should also turn the firewall off on the Hub and disable the IP Flood Detection facility. By the way, you now have the use of the ethernet ports on both routers.

This all worked nicely.  I then reset my Airport Express to extend my existing wireless network (Manual Setup >> Airport >> Wireless >> Wireless Mode >> Extend a wireless network) and things seem to work well.

Once again, thanks for your help

Please use plain text.
Superuser
Sephiroth

Glad it's working and thanks for the advice on the steps you performed, particularly the bridge mode step on the TC/AE.

Apart from the quirky terminology on the AE screen, that device is £140's worth of near functional perfection, IMO. 

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
eeperman

Hi all

I am following the above instructions in order to bridge my VMDG280 and connect to my Time Capsule. The trouble I am having is when I try and add my TC to the DHCP Reservation section. I enter the MAC address and an IP address of 192.168.0.10, but I get an error message saying Incorrect IP Address.

The TC is showing in the Client Lease Info window with an IP address of 192.169.0.9 - is that the IP address I should use or is it important to use 192.168.0.10?

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
robjewitt

As far as I can tell, if your TC  is showing in the Client Lease Info window with an IP address of 192.169.0.9  then I'd be inclined to enter that figure in the DHCP Reservation section.   

Please use plain text.