Ask a question
The Sorter
Slackyb

Slow internet connection

As requested in one of the 'BN2' threads, here's my post with my issues and information.

- My broadband is very slow on weekday evenings and weekends. I don't know abou weekday days as I'm at work
- Hostname: cpc1-brig15-2-0-custxxx.3-3.cable.virginmedia.com
- Tracert results:

C:\Documents and Settings\slacks>tracert bbc.co.uk

Tracing route to bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.138]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms     1 ms     2 ms  192.168.1.1
  2    21 ms     *       25 ms  10.10.140.1
  3     *       19 ms    30 ms  brig-core-1a-ae1-2566.network.virginmedia.net [80.3.65.33]
  4    21 ms   185 ms    57 ms  glfd-bb-1a-so-020-0.network.virginmedia.net [212.43.162.221]
  5    99 ms    43 ms    94 ms  glfd-bb-1b-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.105.172.6]
  6   298 ms   306 ms    74 ms  glfd-tmr-1-ae5-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.105.159.46]
  7    86 ms     *       49 ms  redb-ic-1-as0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.185.78]
  8    88 ms    25 ms    13 ms  212.58.239.249
  9    42 ms    73 ms    26 ms  212.58.238.133
 10    13 ms    47 ms    48 ms  virtual-vip.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.138]

Trace complete.

- Modem info:

Downstream SNR :     42.7 dB
Downstream Receive Power Level :     10.2 dBmV
Upstream transmit Power Level :     45.7 dBmV

speedtest.net reports download of 7mb. Upload test is just not working at the moment, but the last time it worked it was extremely slow; something like 0.02mb or something. However, speed at the moment as ascertained by downloading the 2 demos you suggest - 1600kb (*shrug*)

I've been running a continual ping to www.virgin.net and www.bbc.co.uk for the past 2 hours or so; 10% packet loss on both.

Please keep me posted on how this issue progresses.

Many thanks.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
apcyberax

Re: Slow internet connection

you have 2 problems there.

1) your on brig15 and that is known to be over subscribed.

2) your downstream power i to high as this should be below 7dBmV

Please use plain text.
The Sorter
Slackyb

Thanks. I know there's an issue with brig15, but I was requested to start a thread of my own about my issue.
Please use plain text.
The Sorter
Slackyb

Hello - if there are further details I can provide to assist in the resolution of this problem then please let me know. Otherwise, could someone please provide further information as to when this issue will be fixed?

Many thanks.

Please use plain text.
The Sorter
Slackyb

OK, well I contacted my 'sources' in Virgin Media (which I try to use as a last resort) and this is what I've been told: "Currently there is overutilisation on the upstream port you are connected to, there is also an issue with the timing server on that site. An outage has been logged for this and the estimated fix date is the 9th November. I will be checking the status of the outage and will inform you of any changes." I'm guessing that the 'upstream port' is the brig15 thing.
Please use plain text.
Super-Solver
Lee_G

Hi Slackyb

We need to take a look at your connection to investigate this but as the last time you accessed these forums was not from your home connection we are unable to locate your account. Therefore I have sent you a PM, can you please reply with the information requested and we will look into this for you.

Regards,

Lee Grant

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.

Please can we ask you not to PM the Forum team unless requested to do so by us
Please use plain text.
The Sorter
Slackyb

I was asked to post back if my broadband performance didn't improve after the resolution of area fault F001432736, which was apparently resolved on Thursday evening last week. Performance was OK over the weekend until Sunday evening when the same symptoms developed, and performance has been extremely shoddy during peak hours since. I've got about 5% - 10% packet loss at the moment, last night it was 20%+

Please can this be looked into.

Many thanks.

Please use plain text.
Gandalf
Pete_R

Hi Slackyb,

I've had a look into this and there is an issue with downstream utilisation in your area, I have raised this with our outage team and I'm currently awaiting a reference.

Regards,

Peter Rafferty

Help and Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.
The Sorter
Slackyb

Hello - may I have an update on my issue please.

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Usually Always Right
Dave_O

[ Edited ]

Hi Slackyb,

Could you please send me a PM with your Virgin Media account number and VM email address?

I'll then be in a position to provide an update.

David Owen
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.