Ask a Question
Making Waves
gazzab

Slow Steam Downloads...

I'm on a 10mb/s line and get a speed of about 9.5. When I download games from Steam or Game it downloads at a constant 1.2MB/s for a while, then drops to just below 300MB/s and stays there. It's got nothing to do with the Steam servers as it happens any time of day or night and I've had the same issue downloading games from Game.

Does anyone know whether Virgin cap the limit on Steam downloads? Maybe they think it's a torrent downloading application or something?

Please use plain text.
The Troubleshooter
Ignition

Re: Slow Steam Downloads...

Not likely to be anything to do with shaping I'm afraid.

-----
If you found my post helpful I'm clearly not trying hard enough.
Please use plain text.
Super-Solver
Lee_G

Hi gazzab

Does the speed reduction happen at a particular time of day?  Are you still able to achieve higher speeds by downloading from websites (such as http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com or http://www.gamershell.com/)

Regards,

Lee Grant

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.

Please can we ask you not to PM the Forum team unless requested to do so by us
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
shake303

Hi Lee - thought I'd jump in here as I'm having *exactly* the same issues!

Am also on the 10mb package and 3 hours ago started d/l my first game via Steam. At first I was getting 1.2mb/s (for about 10 minutes approx) and then it dropped to just under 300k/s and has been like that for the last 2 hrs and 45 mins.

I have tried the links/downloads that you posted but there is deffinately a severe throttle as both downloads go to 140k/s or thereabouts.

Does VM think that Steam is P2P?

Thanks

Ian

Please use plain text.
Gandalf
Pete_R

Hi Shake,

To my knowledge, steam is server based, as such it would not be classed by our equipment as peer to peer traffic.

Do you get slow downloads from any other site?

Regards,

Peter Rafferty

Help and Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
GodBlock

Hello, I actually signed up just for this as I am also experiencing exactly the same issues with steam downloads which to be honest is why I use the internet (for online gaming) I get upto 1.2Mb for maybe 20 minutes if I'm lucky and then it drops to just under 300Kbs for the rest of the download

I tried to download any random file from gamershell whilst steam is downloading at under 300Kbs and the download is also slow around 100kbs

This is extremey frustrating

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
GodBlock

even after stopping the download because it's going so slowly and running a speedtest.net my normal 9.0mb is now only 2.40mb

I think there is some kind of shaping going on here

Please use plain text.
Gandalf
Ray_M

Hello GodBlock,

Our application management (traffic shaping) runs from 5pm - midnight Monday to Friday and from midday to midnight at weekends. Are you experience this issue mostly during these times or can it happen at any time of the day? I've also checked the network and all is OK this side.

Regards,

Ray Miranda

Help & Support Forum Team

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
ForAllOfThis

[ Edited ]

Having exactly the same problem. Currently at my parents house for christmas who are running a 20mb virgin media connection. I have been downloading quite a few steam games and can confirm that the problem happens between the traffic times.

If I download during the daytime I can download at well above 1 or 2mb on steam. Trying to download a game now and it's going between 0 - 200 kbs. Attempted to download from websites and downloading at the same time and speedtest.net is showing my download speed to be between 2.5 and 3 mbs.

Edit: Also started downloading at 1mb - 1.5mbs for the first 10 minutes or so then got hit with some slowdown.

Please use plain text.
Wizard
ColinTaylor

[ Edited ]

Hi Guys,

I just thought I'd jump in and say that IMHO this is not a VM problem (for once). I have also experienced this a few days ago whilst using my non-VM (ADSL) connection to download a game demo from Steam.

If you head over to the Steam forums you will see quite a few threads about it, for example: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1681701

Of course, that's not to say that individuals might have their own bandwidth-related problems, but if you're only seeing it with Steam downloads then it's a Steam problem.

HTH,

Colin

Please use plain text.