Ask a question
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
xene68

Sick and Tired of slow broadband and buffering video streaming!!!!!!

I have had 30mbps broadband for several months now and I am just absolutely sick of the connection running very slow during peak times.  I reported it over the phone to Virgin a few months back and it improved for a while, but its slower than ever now - youtube videos buffering all the time, cant watch iplayer or anything like that.

This is NOT what I am paying for!!!! 

I am not going through all the ridiculous tests over the phone again - it took ages - it doesnt matter if mt connection is wired or wireless - the result is **bleep** broadband!!

I have already installed separate DSL router and put the Superhub (ahem) in modem mode as the wireless connection was so poor!!

Sick of Virgin and their superslow broadband!!  I would appreciate if a Virgin tech could take the bother to get this issue rectified or Im leaving and going back to Sky!

Wendy.  I am in Area 20 (Stoke on Trent) 

Please use plain text.
Expert Opinionator
Dai_T

Re: Sick and Tired of slow broadband and buffering video streaming!!!!!!

Hi xene68, 

I have checked your connection to the network and I can see several discrepancies which are no doubt causing your problems. I have sent you a private message regarding this and will be more than happy to continue when I receive a reply.

Dai_T
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?
Please use plain text.
xene68

[ Edited ]

Hi - thanks for checking the connection.

have replied to inbox message.

Many thanks

xene68

Please use plain text.
xene68

Hi Virgin Tech people,

Here is an update to the problem with slow and unplayable video streaming that my connection is having.

Since the engineer visited, the problem has not been resolved - youtube, iplayer etc - in fact any web video streaming is just not working properly during peak times - constantly buffering and if I try to let the video download in advance (eg pausing a youtube video) it takes an absolute age.

SpeedTest.Net shows a speed of 26mbps which is fine - the problem is video streaming is unacceptably poor.

The last virgin forum tech to pm me, advised that there is high utilisation at peak times on my connection, but its not at levels which constitute 'priority work'.  Well, to me, this continuing and worsening problem with watching streaming video (or not as the case may be) is a priority to ME and I want it fixing!!! If I do not get a satisfactory response from Virgin Media this time I will terminate my broadband contract and go elsewhere.

You state no buffering on your advertisements so it should not be happening - I can understand occasional issues with the service but not this, every peak time period! 

I hope to hear a satisfactory response very soon,

Regards

xene68

Please use plain text.
Jue
One to Watch
Jue

[ Edited ]

I am also in the stoke on trent area (ST3) and at peak times suffer from the same things you have mentioned. I aswell a month ago reported this issue to VM on these forums and over the phone and was told that the area has "high utalization" but not at a point in which they are willing to do anything. Never had any problems with the broadband last year and It's only recently in 2012 when my broadband during peak times is unbelieveably slow at some points. 

Looks to me that VM have oversold the broadband in the area and this heavy load of people using the connection is what is making it slow. 

Please use plain text.
xene68

Hey thanks for that. I only had the broadband installed around September last year, had some initial problems with speed but it settled down.
I agree about the oversold broadband in Stoke - Virgin obviously have not got the infrastructure to cope with use.

I am sick of it and will be cancelling if I dont get a satisfactory response from Virgin - ie a fix.
Please use plain text.
xene68

Another update for Virgin:

Its 10:50 am on a Saturday and youtube videos are buffering every few seconds - stopping and starting all the time - whether in 360p, 480p or 720p.   

Whats going on Virgin??  

Very unhappy with this service.

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
simoninvegas

Hi Xene68, I am also in area 20 Stoke-On-Trent and for as long as I can remember my broadband was perfect, that was up untill the area was upgraded (downgraded more like).

I had a very stable 50mbit connection for a very long time with never any need to call CS and complain.

In January I upgraded to 100mbit and again it was perfect, no buffering, no lag and always got full speed on my downloads, then the area was upgraded.

Since then I have downgraded to 60mbit as the 100mbit was extremely poor, at best achieving 40mbit at peak times with loads of buffering on youtube and other streaming services and lag during online gaming.

The 60 mbit only gives about 20-30mbit during peak times and is consistently poor with buffering and lag.

VM's upgrade has been pushed out rather than rolled out and the network cannot support the over utilisation.

For me as with many others the only reason we are still with VM is due to BT Infinity not being available here yet.

Vm have given a free upgrade and then increased charges,then they changed their terms and conditions regarding their STM policy that are totally unrealistic and to top it all off  they have  packed far too many users on an already congested area , all of this they are completely aware of but don't seem to be interested in fixing as BT Infinity isn't an option for us to move to ...YET.

I think that if a satisfaction survey was carried out on all of the areas already upgraded VM directors would be horrified as to the results.

Roll on BT Infintiy and some competition...

Please use plain text.
Jue
One to Watch
Jue

I agree. I've been with VM from back when it used to be NTL and even when I was on a 2mb line I never had the problems I do today. Sure VM have me by the nuts because they know we don't have infinite in SOT, therefore we are
Not high priority. There is no competition for them to worry about. I'll tell you something
VM get your **bleep** together or me like many others will be switching
when other companies develop in the area
Please use plain text.
Forum Team
Jen_A

Hi xene68,

Having read your post, I was expecting to see high utilisation on the line. But there is not. I can find no issues with SNR, FEC errors & power levels etc.

Could you please hardwire directly to the Superhub whilst in modem mode, reboot pc into safe-mode-with-networking and now run traceroutes and pingtests to bbc.co.uk.

Please post the output for us to view.

Jen_A
Help & Support Forum Team

Problem Solved?Fault with your service?We did warn you!
Please use plain text.