Ask a question
One to Watch
nik_c

SERVER NOT FOUND issues EVERYTIME we start computer

Hi,

We have had the 50MB superfast connection now for a week and a bit. Everytime we switch on the computer for the first 5-10mins the connection does not find ANY server. ALL browser come up with the message SERVER NOT FOUND (or their equivalent).

Called the VirginMedia support line, but they cannlt find anything wrong with either modem, or tech stats in the area.

Has anyone similar issues, and found a solution?

We are using the VirginMedia SUPERHUB (big black modem with blue VirginMedia button on the side).

It is gettng pretty annoying as this is supposed to be the fastest service yet it takes us (FAR!!!!!!) longer to get to e.g. our emails than with a 50kbps modem 15 years ago!

Nik C

Please use plain text.
Usually Always Right
Dave_O

Re: SERVER NOT FOUND issues EVERYTIME we start computer

Hi nik_c.

Can you confirm whether you power down your hub when not in use? If so, please try leaving it on for a day or two to see if the problem continues. Because of the nature of the 50Mb connection, it can sometimes take a few minutes to lock on to the relevant signals when first booted up.

David Owen
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
nik_c

Hi,

No the hub is never switched off at all. the lights are always on, the virginmedia cable is always connected. the only things that are powered down are our 2 laptops that are connected to it through wire (ethernet) rather than the wireless connection. My laptop is regularly disconnected as I use it in different locations.

Everytime we even walk away from our laptops, and the connection is not used for a time ( not sure what exactly that is but anything about an hour would be accurate I guess), will lead to the SERVER NOT FOUND error when waking up the copmuter and trying to access any web site.

thanks,

Nik C

Please use plain text.
Superuser
horseman

nik_c wrote:

Everytime we even walk away from our laptops, and the connection is not used for a time ( not sure what exactly that is but anything about an hour would be accurate I guess), ....

As a sanity check make sure you don't have PowerSave/Management feature enabled in NIC properties of your laptops?

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
nik_c

I discovered that the ALLOW THE COMPUTER TO SWITCH OFF THIS DEVICE TO SAVE POWER box was ticked. Did you mean that? I have unticked it and will report back if the problem is solved.

I would find that strange though as on no other network connection does my laptop have the same (or even remotely similar) problem, and it did work properly (ie connected immediately) on our previous connection which was an NTL / Virginmedia business connection.

Nik C

Please use plain text.
Superuser
horseman

nik_c wrote:

I discovered that the ALLOW THE COMPUTER TO SWITCH OFF THIS DEVICE TO SAVE POWER box was ticked. Did you mean that? ....

Yes....    Forgot MS had long since changed their descriptions to numpty speak... :smileywink:

As for the reasons....  I doubt whether you want to spend the rest of the year listening to my explanations! :smileywink:

Glad it's fixed - Merry Xmas!

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
nik_c

OK, I have tested the thing now. -

not fixed unfortunately. same behaviour of SERVER NOT FOUND when i wake my laptop up, or boot it up.

Very strange.

NIk C

Please use plain text.
Super-Solver
Lee_G

Hi nik_c

Are you able to ping any websites during this period? (type ping bbc.co.uk from a Command Prompt window to test this)

Regards,

Lee Grant

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.

Please can we ask you not to PM the Forum team unless requested to do so by us
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
nik_c

Hi,

Will try that next time I start up.

thx,

NIK C

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
DJ-Shadow

Hello

I have found that some PC when woken up do not wake up the network card as well, and the only solution is too power off the PC and then power it back on, or a restart will resolve the problem.

Mike

Please use plain text.