Searching for something?
Making Waves
Shinwow

Ridiculous cancellation fees

Can't believe this. We had a 12 month contract on Virgin 30mb (which was rubbish anyway, old BT down the phone line was way better) and due to our landlord deciding to end the contract early (6 month break clause in a 12 month contract) we have had to cancel. Due to our circumstances we cannot tranfer the account to a new address. So my flatmate rang up to cancel today and was told it is £120 to cancel! That's not far off the amount it would be if we kept it. Is there anything we can do to lower that amount because that's a ridiculous amount, especially given the awful speed and reliability we get here in E17.

Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
MattyH

Re: Ridiculous cancellation fees

From VM's perspective, you are cancelling your contract for no valid reason, even though you have no choice as you are being kicked out.

Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
k_langfield

I think due to VM's upcoming price increases on 1st April you can cancel without fees, you just have to give them 30 days notice, its what i'm planning to do if they don't fix my connection soon.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Fibre-optic-broadband-cable/Prices-increasing-on-some-services-o...

Please use plain text.
Superuser
apcyberax

might seem unfair but you signed a contract agreeing to keep the services for the full contract. This is how vm know what they can charge. if it costs them £200 to install it and they speed that out over the contract then if you cancel early vm lose money.

If there was a chance you couldn;t keep it for the contract time and you didn;t want to pay to cancel you shouldnt of signed a contract.
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
bec6110

Ok I am aware that you have to pay a cancellation fee but im being robbed by £180! The story goes....

I wanted to upgrade my TV channels and i rang in June to do this, was put off first by the cost so they came back with discounts and i agreed, BUT at no point did they say this would be a new contract and i did not ask for one. My contract or so i thought finished in October and i am due to move house and i know i can not take the TV contract with me. I knew in June i was moving so why on earth would i agree to a new 12 month contract???

Anyway ring to cancel and get a shock to hear i have a £180 fee to pay. Apparently on my notes the "adviser told me of the 12 month contract" urm did he hell... I asked for the recording of this conversation to prove he did not and got told they dont keep them. What a suprise. 

So bascially ive been stitched up and lied to on the phone. Why should i have to pay this? As far as i was aware i was moving at the end of my contract, I did this on purpose so I wouldnt have to pay fees and still get robbed. 

I never had this with Sky I could add channels and cancel without any issue and they never changed my contract terms. 

I was told i could take my broadband and phoneline but then they would put me into a 18 month contract or pay the £180. I just dont trust them anymore to do this, I have been lied to once so what would stop this happening at the end of the next contract? its disgusting.

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
CindyTang

What's funny is that Virgin rarely if ever, provides the service they have advertised which in effect has breached their contract and robbed you of your hard working money. Also by charging this ridiculous cancellation fee they're adding injury to insult and just proving once more that greedy corporations that have a monopoly on the market would feed their customers worm laden dirt, advertise it as prime rib steak while charging you the moon for it.

Please use plain text.
Human Answer Bank
VMCopperUser

bec6110 wrote:

Ok I am aware that you have to pay a cancellation fee but im being robbed by £180! The story goes....

I wanted to upgrade my TV channels and i rang in June to do this, was put off first by the cost so they came back with discounts and i agreed, BUT at no point did they say this would be a new contract and i did not ask for one. My contract or so i thought finished in October and i am due to move house and i know i can not take the TV contract with me. I knew in June i was moving so why on earth would i agree to a new 12 month contract???

Anyway ring to cancel and get a shock to hear i have a £180 fee to pay. Apparently on my notes the "adviser told me of the 12 month contract" urm did he hell... I asked for the recording of this conversation to prove he did not and got told they dont keep them. What a suprise. 

So bascially ive been stitched up and lied to on the phone. Why should i have to pay this? As far as i was aware i was moving at the end of my contract, I did this on purpose so I wouldnt have to pay fees and still get robbed. 

I never had this with Sky I could add channels and cancel without any issue and they never changed my contract terms. 

I was told i could take my broadband and phoneline but then they would put me into a 18 month contract or pay the £180. I just dont trust them anymore to do this, I have been lied to once so what would stop this happening at the end of the next contract? its disgusting.

If they did not send you a new contract and they have no proof that they told you on the phone then distance selling bounds you by a maximum of 3 months and 7 days.  Call back, go through retentions and tell them that they either let you go before the end of that cycle or you report them to OFT for a breach of distance selling rules.

I know virgin media claim that they send out new contracts to everyone every time there is a package change but that is a blanket lie.  I received my first ever contract just last year, and I have had VM/NTL services now for about 12 years (with retention deals every time I go out of cycle).

If they cant provide proof of acceptance (recorded call, contract) then the 3 month and 7 day rule applies.  If yo uare past that time scale then I am unsure as to how long you must stay, it would be worth a trip to your local consumer advice centre.  If there is no paperwork then they cant force you into the contract terms. 

For reference I ask every time I am on the phone "will this lock me in - and for how long". 

Distance selling rules get you out if yor within the 3 months and 7 days.

The lack of contract/confirmation in writing or admission of acceptance gets you out once yor past that mark.

Two key things I would suggest.  1) Be nice to the staff, 2) Be sure your not just speaking to the normal churn agents in "Accounts".

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.

I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

Read or Not ....
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
bec6110

Its a joke! Three days of calls and im awaiting a call back that has gone the 24hrs they promised. I have asked for proof of the call or a new contract that i have signed and so far they have come up with nothing. They wont take my notice until they have authorisation to over ride the charge. I will have moved out by the time this is sorted then I wont have access to the house anymore. 

Lesson Learnt, I will always be checking any ammendments to my soon to be SKY package will not change the length of my contract and that if it does I would not be adding/removing anything. 

Virgin customer service is shocking, and they have shocking selling tactics. The TV box is not even that good, mine kept freezing and i couldnt access all the channels at certain points for considerable lengths of time.

On the plus side I have already lost them one potential new customer and anybody who else ask's me would i recommend them will get a very sharp response of NO. 

Please use plain text.
Superuser
adacom

who are you talking to - if its india then forget it 

speak to retentions - they wil do what they say - or do in my experience

retention - 150 from VM phone or 0845 454 1111 [option 1 or 2] then option 5 option 2 - dont worry about the i want to leave messages - uk call centre open 8 'till 8 Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm on Saturday and closed sundays

Tony
Please use plain text.
Proof’s in the Pudding
Luke_Thomas

Hi bec6110

As I am sure you are aware, this is a community forum and our Complaints team do not monitor these boards. For this to be seen by the relevant people, I would advise going to the contact us pages of our website, selecting "Fault with your service", "I want to make a complaint", clicking the red "Contact us" button in the bottom right and then filling in the form that appears.

Kind Regards,

Luke Thomas
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?
Please use plain text.