Ask a question
One to Watch
DrHypnosis

Re: R36 Upgrade Breaks VOIP

I, too, am seriously peeved with virgin. I contacted them about a seperate incident and they automatically upgraded my firmware to R36 which terminated the use of my voip phine which my freephone number diverts to and they did this on 2 days before my groupon deal went live for my new business. Thanks Virgin!!  I told the technician on the phone that I had a voip phone attached and he should have at least made me aware of issues before deciding to upgrade the firmware.

I have tried everything. Including putting the router into modem mode and using my old router but when I do that, the router finds the DHCP server but cannot establish an internet connection. So I have had to revert back to the R36 upgrade and no phone!! I think that Virgin should make this a priority, else I am thinking of going to another provider..pretty pronto!!

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
matthew1471

[ Edited ]

I'm also now affected by this issue. The only thing that changed was I unplugged the SuperHub from the UPS and back in and ended up with R36. Then my problem started.

I rang tech support, they were unaware of this issue, said the SuperHub could not be downgraded and sent me to 'customer care', who then said had I tried tech support....

I just want to know it has been confirmed as an issue by VM, identified and rougly when it will be fixed.

These are the topics I have found about this issue:

- SuperHub R36 - SIP no longer works (http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-30Mb-Setup-Equipment/SuperHub-R36-SIP-no-longer-works/td-p...)
- R36 Upgrade Breaks VOIP (http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-30Mb-Setup-Equipment/R36-Upgrade-Breaks-VOIP/td-p/1343436)
- R36 blocking VOIP? (http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-30Mb-Setup-Equipment/R36-blocking-VOIP/td-p/1342118)

Please use plain text.
Wizard
stuart77

Hello, I am the user who was on the R36 beta trial who reported the original SIP fault.  Hopefully I can give you some of the trials and errors I found might help to fix problems.

Firstly when I received R36 it seemed great.  I had some serious drop-outs on wifi equipment and R36 significantly improved this.  It was only when I went to make a phone call I found the problem - and even then not straight away, because the call was fine for five minutes before dropping.

The biggest problem appears to be SIP registration.  My service is provided through Sipgate using a Linksys WRT54GP2 VOIP router (not using routing features and connected to a lan port of the hub).  I still had audio with no problems, but the service dropped around every 10 minutes.

I tried port forwarding, port triggering, even placing the VOIP service in the DMZ.  None of this seemed to work and changing the firewall settings had no impact (note the firewall's default low service will allow VOIP, any higher level won't work).

In the end turning off uPNP worked for me and I posted this solution on the R36 beta forums.  The port forwarding solution that has worked for some people seems to be a device specific issue and not the cause of the bigger problem which still seems to exist.

It may be worthwhile noting I use a STUN server to my provider and this could be a big factor for people.

I hope in some ways this goes towards helping people and I will be sticking around to see if I can offer more help.

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
handymac

.Following my own problems with R36 which I commented on elsewhere, I bought a wireless router from Curry's, put the Superhub into modem mode, and my problems disappeared. So that might be an option for this VOIP problem.

I have VOIP and configured port 5060 on this router no problem.
Please use plain text.
Boffin
martileic

Be carefull with opening port 5060 to anyone, I did to try it out, which didnt work but ended up the following morning with a hack/attack on my voip router. In my Hub logs I found my router had done a LAN-side Ping Flood because of this, needless to say I shut the port and the problems stopped.

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
matthew1471

[ Edited ]

I have now found out what the SuperHub is doing that is causing at least my SIP sessions to fall down.

Short Story : The SuperHub is voluntarily re-writing your public IP address with the local IP address of the device connected to its port.

Long Story : Read my blog post

For me there was a work-around, I hope there is for you too. I would love to see an option in the "Advanced Settings" to turn this IP address re-write off and on...

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
chippieuk

Any official update on this Virgin Media??

I just discovered the problem after some time away when I got an email asking why my phone kept going straight to voicemail.

Using a Linksys PAPT2 plugged into the super hub.

I don't reallyw ant to permanently open up a common port, nor do I think that lowering the firewall settings is an appropriate solution.

When will this be fixed, and in the meantime, is there any way to roll back to the previous firmware?

Please use plain text.
Boffin
martileic

If you go into your linksys configuration page, select admin login and advanced, then click on line 1 set NAT Keep Alive Enable to yes and make sure your Register Expires is set to 600 or less. that works for me on a differnt model of linksys, so hopefully it should work for you.

If your provider has a STUN server make sure that is set too, they should give you details of what the settings are.

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
handymac

When you consider that the first article in this thread was dated 31st July, it really isn't very reassuring that almost a month on VM haven't provided another automatic firmware update on the network to take care of this problem.

For technically capable people like me, fixing it (although expensive) has not been that much of a challenge. However probably most of the clientel that the broadband service provides for are more than likely not technically capable people, and many might not even realise that their cable modem is causing problems when a browser starts ducking and diving - they would probably put that down to it being a problem with the Internet rather than a virus which VM introduced to their cable modem without their knowledge.

Come on VM, your finger must be a rich brown colour by now so let's have some action to take this awful R36 out of play !

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
DrHypnosis

Now extremely p****d off. Had a problem with the router so they shipped me another one. When I logged in it had got the old firmware on it...Wicked!! I thought. I set up all the paramiters for all the hardware that I have connected to it, my stora, my ipPhone, printer etc and then bloody VM pushed the R36 to my router so my problems started again. I didn't want the pigging update!! As a consumer, do we not get a sodding choice!! Not being able to use my voip, paying extra to have calls diverted, thinking of suing Virgin Media for deliberately preventing me from being able to use the full functionality of the service that I am paying for.

Please use plain text.