Settled in nicely I
DerekCitsl

Re: R36 Upgrade Breaks VOIP

Thanks, but that link just crashes my browser - IE will not load it. I've tried just http://www.connectionanalyzer.com/ and that does the same thing?

In any any case the fault clearly started with the R36 upgrade so I assume VM will know what's causing it by now. Just have to wait for them to fix it...

Please use plain text.
A regular I
BeeTee

Oops, sorry about that. Obviously works for me (IE9). Oh well.  

Please use plain text.
Knows the ropes III
martileic

DerekCitsl wrote:

I can't get an answer either. I think their priority is to fix the corrupt file download problem which everyone is shouting about.

In all fairness the support team on here are still answering enquires on here from july, they havent got round to this thread yet, so probably arent even aware of this issue.

Please use plain text.
Settled in nicely I
DerekCitsl

In all fairness I think they should have tested an upgrade properly before release.

I manage software rollouts to tens of thousands of workstations. Problems as severe as we are seeing (the corrupt dowloads at least) will have appeared in pilots and beta tests if they were wide enough and for long enough. Rollout to 5% of total for a month is usually enough to catch all but the most minor problems, provided that every report of any issue is taken seriously and investigated thoroughly. One call to a helpdesk normally means 50 people have the same problem but haven't reported it. Was everone on the VM helpdesk fully aware of who was on the beta test and pilot R36 firmware I wonder?

Rarely (very rarely) something new can manifest itself later on or during full rollout, in which case there should be a contingency plan to either pause or rollback the version.

I have seen reports of problems with R36 on here from mid July, yet the rollout continued with users powerless to stop it even if the knew it was coming There appears to be a general concensus that R30 was perfectly stable.

No-one would suggest that any software (or firmware) will ever be free from bugs, but problems never need to cause widespread disruption if managed properly...

Please use plain text.
Knows the ropes III
martileic

They can only beta test with people that put themselves forward, its a shame you or me didnt, then we would have noticed the problem.

A lot of people who participate in a beta test do so because they have a problem and hope it will fix that issue, few who dont have a problem take part just in case it introduces a problem they never had and hope they all get fixed before general release. At least that was my feelings when they asked for beta testers.

Please use plain text.
Just joined
WattoGold

So the long and the short of this is wait for an unknown period to see if anyone at VM are even aware of the issue let alone considering a fix! I don't understand. How are you supposed to get service? Forget calling VM unless you like listening to music for ages.

Posting here offers sympathetic views etc which I appreciate but I need a working resolution sooner rather than later. Can anyone suggest a path. 

I may have to consider moving back to BT for broadband, at least they react to issues and you can talk to people to resolve.

PS Is R36 needed for the 100Mb upgrade promised because it hasn't arrived here yet?

Please use plain text.
Knows the ropes III
martileic

[ Edited ]

Unless Virgin can sort out a workaround to this then you probably arent going to see a quick fix to this.

They will need to identify what's causing it, then work on a fix, then test it before doing a beta test. They will no doubt want to include other bug fixes in it too.

I have always found ringing retentions the quickest path to talk to someone. You can bring it to their attention and stress the importance of a fix to this problem for you, whether it gets you anywhere you dont know until you try.

Personally I prefer using these forums than talking to someone without any technical knowledge, going through a check sheet.

One thing I didnt try was resetting to factory default, I did read this can fix firewall problems after the upgrade, have you tried this?

Please use plain text.
Just joined
WattoGold

I have rebooted to factory default but no change. The falcon phone registers one call and no more there after. I agree with you about the phone route: recorded instructions first etc, then scripted response with no knowledge or understanding is typical.

Is there any way to roll back the software?

Please use plain text.
A regular II
MikeMartin

[ Edited ]

I also use VOIP all the time, though mine is by Vonage. I have experienced no problems with R36. So the issue maybe limited to your type of VOIP or some type of interaction of VOIP with issues within your area of the Virgin network (of course coupled with some issue with R36).

It could be that another R36 issue that causes corrupt downloads could also be causing your issue.  The download issue looks like the corruption of packets that R36 fails to handle correctly by retries. If that is the case it (presumably) would also corrupt VOIP packets.

Personally I have not experienced the download corruption issue (or the VOIP issue). So both issues could be just affecting users that are on part of the Virgin network that is noise prone or heavily utilised i.e. where you would expect some packet failures and R36 would have to do re-tries (but maybe fails to do so). 

Currently Virgin is beta testing new firmware that looks to solve the download issue, and it might also solve your issue.  Virgin have recently re-opened invitation for customers to participate in the beta test.  I think it might be worth all those experiencing the VOIP issue to join the beta trial and see if it fixes your VOIP issue.  It can't see that you have anything to lose.  See Virgin's post in the link below and send a PM to Mark to join the beta test:-

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-30Mb-broadband/Corrupt-Downloads-Master-Thread/m-p/1353826...

Please use plain text.
Settled in nicely I
DerekCitsl

Anyone up for an interesting read, how about this from 30th June:

http://www.cableforum.eu/index.php/topic,799.msg5421.html#msg5421

Two posts on from that one is a list of all the bugs that were known about - including "Issues with SIP phones"

Please use plain text.