Searching for something?
Making Waves
mashton

Packet Loss and High Ping Times - London SE24

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have had very poor internet performance on my 20Mb connection for some time. I consistently measure packet loss in excess of 15% and my ping time at over 150ms, with a jitter of over 200ms. Sometimes these are extraordinarily high at over 1s!

This poor performance is constant, not at any tme of the day or night.

My modem power and SnR look OK, according to a guide I found on here. But am not an expert. Here are the details from my modem:

Cable Modem : Euro-DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant
MAC Address : **:**:**:**:**:**
Serial Number : -deleted-
Boot Code Version : 1.1.2c
Software Version : 2.111.1002
Hardware Version : 1.9
Downstream Lock :Locked
Downstream Channel Id :25
Downstream Frequency :306750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation :QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate :6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth :taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level :5.4 dBmV
Downstream SNR :40.0 dB
Upstream Lock :Locked
Upstream Channel ID :1
Upstream Frequency :45800000 Hz
Upstream Modulation :QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate :5120 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level :48.2 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size :1

Can anyone help? I currently cannot use video over Skype with any kind of reliable quality and would like it to work to be able to show our baby daughter, who is due on 6th Feb, to her grandparents. I also would like to get the service that I am paying for.

Hopeful Regards,

Matt

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
mashton

Re: Packet Loss and High Ping Times - London SE24

Update.

AT 7:22am, today, I ran another test:

21-01-2011 07-28-04.png

It seems that this issue may not happen in the early morning, off peak time.

Can I please get a reply from support?

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Chris_K

Hi mashton

I have checked your connection and can see that you are affected by a local upstream utilisation issue on your UBR (local router) which will cause your speed to slow during busy periods. This issue is currently with our Planning team who will be publishing a fix date for this issue as soon as possible. The reference for this issue is F001462246

Regards,

Chris Kean

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
mashton

Hi Chris,

Thank you for this information.

2 questions:

1) How can I claim a discount on my payments whilst I am affected by this degraded service?

2) How can I check on the status of the UBR over utilisation and any published dates?

Thanks,

Matt

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Shortlist

Hey Mashton.

I am from SE24 (Herne Hill) also and i am experiencing exactly the same problems. Its pathetic some of us require the internet to work. But they are just using stall tactics.

Virgin.

I would like to speak to someone higher up because i cant stand it anymore. You take alot of money out of my bank each month and you aint slow about that. So why should we recieve slow internet. I would like to speak to someone about getting something back from this because i aint recieving what i am paying for. Its apauling what we have to put up with.

Please could you also send me a email or PM regarding the scheduled "Fix time" or is this just stall tactics like last time?

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
mashton

Hi Shortlist, I am also in HH.

How long has it been since you first complained to Virgin about this problem?

I have been experiencing the issue for some time but only complained about it with the post at the top of this thread :-(

Matt

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Shortlist

Hey.

I have had this issue before and they sent someone to solve it. It never done anything and i just let time go by and it fixed itself i guess. As you are about the experience their support is next to nothing. When i call the support line they just cant wait to go home or on their next break so they tell you exactly what you want to hear. Its pathetic.

Please use plain text.
Super-Solver
Lee_G

Hi mashton

If you wish to talk to someone regarding compensation please contact our Technical Support team on 151 from a Virgin Media line (0845 454 1111 from any other line).

The current estimated implementation date for this issue is end of March.

Regards,

Lee Grant

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.

Please can we ask you not to PM the Forum team unless requested to do so by us
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
mashton

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the information.

Can you confirm or deny whether me upgrading to the new 30Mb/s (DOCSIS 3.0) service fix this problem or will I still be on the same, congested hardware?

Thanks,

Matt

Please use plain text.
Super-Solver
Lee_G

Hi Matt

You are already connected to the DOCSIS 3.0 compliant chassis that services your local area so upgrading will not resolve this issue.

Regards,

Lee Grant

Please can we ask you not to PM the Forum team unless requested to do so by us
Please use plain text.