Ask a question
Gandalf
legacy1

Re: New Super Hub GUI...

[ Edited ]

mossman wrote:

And that also means that the SuperHub itself remains secure (or as secure as the choice od password allows) as regard children arttempting to reset those parental controls, website/keyword filtering or similar..

No as in resets the password and defaults and such or in case you forget your password.

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE...

"Note: if you ever forget the new administration interface password, you can set it back to the default password by resetting the Super Hub (this will also reset all other changes you have made to the Super Hub's settings). "

------------------Die-hard direct connection modem user :smileytongue:
Believing is catch 22 the VMDG280 should never of been made the Super hubs 1 & 2 could have been built better the years go by and we can't see the mistakes that were made to make things right.
The more that use modem mode the more we need IPv6: BQM, Outgoing ports test
Please use plain text.
Freakishly Helpful
mossman

Granted (although I was thinking along the lines of being able to log in and change something, but never mind), and the one of the first levels of security is physical security of course (although in a residential environment, unless the SH is in a locked and ventilated cabinet or similar, such physical security is rather difficult to enforce).

Please use plain text.
Superuser
horseman

legacy1 wrote:
Any normal modem wouldn’t have or need a login the only two reasons the hub has a login are remote access to it for router mode and parental control that can be reset.

A couple of points/observations/querries:

1. I'm curious to know how many older "Cable Modems" VM(NTL/TW/BY et al) had installed on legacy pre DOCSIS3 that DID NOT have some form of user/pw to access any "usefully comprehensive" stats - albeit some where not easily changeable anyway?

2. The Router stats (visible locally before login) on R36 gui ARE NOT ACCESSABLE IF YOU REMOTE ACCESS the SH!.   I'm not aware where else in stats you can actually view say "Provisioned Service stats" and a few other items?. VM replied to my query during Beta that this remote access restriction was for Security reasons. :smileysad:

So if you know an "Acceptable officially sanctioned method" to access all the missing stats remotely then please enlighten me here or via PM as it's a tad inconvenient "working around" this via other methods I obviously prefer not to publish!  :smileywink:

enquiring minds.....etc......would be grateful for any and all enlightenment!    :smileywink:

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Benjamin_T

Hi All,

I will certainly feed this back to the relevant people.

I had this concern myself but was advised that it does not contain any personally identifiable information. It also provides no way to change settings or alter anyting which could pose a security risk.

I work for Virgin Media but my opinions are my Own
Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
ImNuMBeR1

Thanks for the confirmation regarding the GUI. I don't see why VirginMedia had to change the router firmware...with this new "update" we are all assigned a static IP...there's no way to change my dynamic IP! - Don't say it's "a good thing" because it's not. Not if my External IP is targetted by a DDoS attack....I want to be able to change my routers external IP agian!

Please use plain text.
Freakishly Helpful
mossman

ImNuMBeR1 wrote:

Thanks for the confirmation regarding the GUI. I don't see why VirginMedia had to change the router firmware...with this new "update" we are all assigned a static IP...there's no way to change my dynamic IP! - Don't say it's "a good thing" because it's not. Not if my External IP is targetted by a DDoS attack....I want to be able to change my routers external IP agian!

Unless I have missed or misunderstood something, we are still assigned a dynamic IP. Granted, to all intents & purposes it operate as if it were static, but I think that it will change if you leave the SH/modem switched off for long enough (long enough so that the lease expires and the IP address is returned to the pool). And I think that if you change the modem's MAC address (e.g. by changing SH or  by cloning your router's MAC address) you will get a new IP address assigned to you.

Please use plain text.