Settled in nicely I
Fred_Blogs

NEW ISSUE WITH SUPERHUB FIREWALL

Hi all,

Sorry for the all-caps title but I want the post to be noticed by those in power ("don't we all" I here you cry!).

Following what appears to be the SuperHub firmware update (R25) *not confirmed at this time* there appears to have been a new issue created which may affect your downloads.

When downloading files you may recieve an incomplete download (file download completes immediately without error, has the correct size but is not complete), an error relating to your connection having been reset or a general loss of connection\timeout related error such as for example;

"the server returned an invalid or unrecognized response"

The problem seems to be related the the configuration state of the SuperHubs firewall feature in that when disabled the above described problem may occur.

I previously had the firewall disabled due to the issues with the previous firmware and issues descirbed here at the virginmedia.com forums. The problem started to manifest yesterday afternoon and while some downloads where unaffected others where and so the issue is likely to be around the transfer method employed in a download.

Why re-enabling the firewall makes a difference I don't know but it has been suggested by others that the problem could be that the firewall is still at fault (blocking when it shouldn't) and that the enable\disable feature of the SuperHub's configuration is somehow reversed.

The logic for that is that IF the settings AREN'Tt reversed it would make sense that disabling the firewall would fix the problem and not cause it as no firewall feature being enabled should mean no functionality and so let data pass. As it it, enabling the firewall lets data pass hense the idea that the settings if reversed (does that make sense?).

Anyhow, when I was affected by the problem I tried different browsers, download managers, software firewall software (on different machines), different software firewall configurations including disabling, different machines, connecting directly by ethernet to the SuperHub (i'm usually connected wirelessly via a superior router that is the only device connected directly to the SuperHub with the SuperHubs wireless features disbaled), and so on.

On a related note, I did find that regardless of the state of the hardware firewall, the Google Chrome browser was able to download files that where a problem for other browsers\download managers. This could indicate that either Chrome's download manager works in a way that circumvents the fault (rightly or wrongly) or that Chrome itself has some security issues in that it manages to get data throught the firewall that might otherwise be harmful. Either way it makes me a little suspicious of how secure the Chrome browser really is.

So, as you can see I have been qiute thorough in my investigations and so I hope any VirginMedia techs that read this will take my conclusion as factual that there is an issue with the configuration and functionality of the SuperHub's firewall features.

Thank you.

Fred

Please use plain text.
Just joined
Kukimonster

Re: NEW ISSUE WITH SUPERHUB FIREWALL

Hi Fred,

Got my 50mb installed yesterday getting good through out of 6100kb/s yes 6MB/ second however I have got r25 and experiencing the same problem as you have described. If you have a download manager and it supports resume this seems to work as it reconnecs and identifies the file has not been fully downloaded. However in YouTube halfway through a video then red bar finished as though the video has been fully downaded but when the playing bar moves ahead it just freezes.

You have defiantly nailed it on the head with the problem described let's hope VM resolve this and we see a R26 pretty quickly.

Kiki
Please use plain text.
A regular I
nickp8

[ Edited ]

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-50Mb-broadband/VM-Staff-Firmware-Rollback-Option/td-p/4369...

Enabling the firewall does indeed solve the file download problems but it causes another new issue which is some websites no longer will load. Turning the firewall off they load instantly. See my thread above.

I think they should roll back to R24 till they have a proper working firmware.

Please use plain text.
Knows the ropes II
jonandmarkuk

I have just discovered the file download issue :smileysad: I'm really not impressed that Virgin after 'testing' didn't spot an issue with downloading files?

I too would prefer to roll back to r20 as at least I was actually able to browse and download files, now I find I can't even complete speedtest.net when I do get something it gives VERY irratic results.

Suppose this would also explain why I have found watching videos on Youtube very irratic

This needs to be sorted!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
A regular I
keenrw

Sounds very much like the download problems i having at the moment .

Rich

Please use plain text.
Settled in nicely I
Cuemaster

Yep, i've got the same problem too and when the firewall is turned on it's ok, Virgin really need to look into this!

Please use plain text.
Settled in nicely II
rkbrown

This problem was reported (initially by me on 1st April, then confirmed by others) during the R25 beta test

AFAIK, no action has been taken. I am wondering what is the point of being a VM Beta Tester when critical problems like this are ignored..

Please use plain text.
Knows the ropes III
chrcoluk

so enabling the firewall works round this bug?

Please use plain text.
Knows the ropes III
chrcoluk

[ Edited ]

rkbrown wrote:

This problem was reported (initially by me on 1st April, then confirmed by others) during the R25 beta test

AFAIK, no action has been taken. I am wondering what is the point of being a VM Beta Tester when critical problems like this are ignored..

I can confirm this. It was reported during testing by multiple testers, R25 was only in beta for a very short time as well which was surprising.

Please use plain text.
A regular II
Flipshot

[ Edited ]

Wish I had seen this earlier. I have been playing around with Flash player and my browser trying to get it to play YouTube videos. They have been showing as fully downloaded but then won't play more than about 30 seconds, no matter how many times I refresh.

Please use plain text.