Ask a question
One to Watch
psywalker246
Helpful Answer

Low upload speed

Hi all,

I'm new here, and was asked to post here by VM 1st line tech support. I'm having very low upload speeds regardless of time of the day or night, it averages at aroung 0.08Mbps instead of 1Mbps, testing with speedtest.net. Here is my modem info

Cable Modem Information

Cable Modem : Euro-DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant

MAC Address : **:**:**:**:**:**

Serial Number : 0014A49BC6A5

Boot Code Version : 1.1.2c

Software Version : 2.111.1002

Hardware Version : 1.9

Cable Modem Status

Item

Status

Comments

Acquire a Downstream Channel

586750000 Hz

Connectivity State

OK

Operational

Boot State

OK

Operational

Cable Modem Downstream

Downstream Lock :

Downstream Channel Id :

Downstream Frequency :

586750000 Hz

Downstream Modulation :

QAM64

Downstream Symbol Rate :

6952 Ksym/sec

Downstream Interleave Depth :

taps12Increment17

Downstream Receive Power Level :

5.5 dBmV

Downstream SNR :

40.4 dB

Cable Modem Upstream

Upstream Lock :

Upstream Channel ID :

Upstream Frequency :

25800000 Hz

Upstream Modulation :

QAM16

Upstream Symbol Rate :

2560 Ksym/sec

Upstream transmit Power Level :

48.0 dBmV

Upstream Mini-Slot Size :

Cable Modem Operation Configuration

Network Access :

Allowed

Maximum Downstream Data Rate :

Maximum Upstream Data Rate :

Maximum Upstream Channel Burst :

Maximum Number of CPEs :

Modem Capability :

Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Enabled

trace root bbc.co.uk gives me following

C:\Users\Yuriy>tracert bbc.co.uk

Tracing route to bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.138]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     6 ms     7 ms    25 ms  10.231.8.1

2     7 ms     7 ms     7 ms  bmly-core-1a-ae1-1167.network.virginmedia.net [81.100.0.85]

3     9 ms     9 ms     9 ms  popl-bb-1a-as6-0.network.virginmedia.net [212.43.162.57]

4    40 ms    29 ms    19 ms  nrth-bb-1b-as3-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.105.172.13]

5    11 ms    41 ms    11 ms  nrth-tmr-2-ae6-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.105.159.34]

6    12 ms    13 ms    13 ms  tele-ic-1-as0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.184.2]

7    12 ms    13 ms    26 ms  pos6-1.rt0.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.239.237]

8    13 ms    13 ms    18 ms  212.58.238.153

9    12 ms    11 ms    15 ms  virtual-vip.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.138]

Trace complete.

Uploading 51MB file to my gmx.com email storage took 1 hour and 43 minutes, i then switched to wired connection and uploaded 21MB file to amazon cloud drive took 46 minutes

I have no issues with download speeds, and have no problems uploading from my pc locally as i often stream video to my windows media player extender connected to my router.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks 

Please use plain text.
Superuser
Swt4ajp

Re: Low upload speed

i cant understand why they will tell you to post here they should be able to sort it out on their end

well here goes never troubleshoooted upload but ill give it a go

go to www.speedtest.net and do a speed test and post the result and either me or someone else will reply

thanks

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
psywalker246

speedtest.JPG

Hi swt4ajp,

above is the screenshot from speedtest.net done just after 1am, i've done quite a few tests today and they all were in the range of 0.05-0.15 Mbps. An interesting observation, if i do a test immediately after i reboot my modem, upload was in the range of 1Mbps, but next test will drop to the usual figures. I did another reboot and it seems persistent, first test shows decent upload speed, following test speed drops, weird.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Dr. Yes
John_O

Hi psywalker246,

I have checked your connection and local network and am unable to find an issue. Can you confirm you are seeing these results when you have bypassed your D-Link router and and are connected directly to the modem via ethernet? Can you also confirm you have no other software utilising your connection at the time of testing? 

Regards,

John O

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
psywalker246

Hi John_O

I've tested this morning by connecting directly to the modem, and upload speed was consistently around 1Mbps, before I was using wired connection from my router. So I went through the settings on the router and found that my upstream settings where set to autoconfigure, but figure in the greyed out box was showing 100kbps. So I changed this setting to manual and set it to 1Mbps, did test again and upload jumped to 0.75Mbps, I then changed upstream to 2Mbps and speedtest now giving me 1.03Mbps. Well pleased with this result, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Regards

Psywalker246

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Justas861

One question, where did you find Upstream settings, becouse i cant find any in my router settings.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
andyree

Hi

I am in Bristol BS5 area.  I spent 3 housrs talking to 4 different Virgin Media personnel who all confirmed that they don't guarantee any upload speed and it can vary and there IS NOTHING THEY CAN OR ARE WILLING TO DO ABOUT IT.  I have 30 MB service and have previously had over 3 mb upload but now is 0.2 and they did a support connection to my computer, verified this is the case and said tough.  Get a different ISP.   I will when my contract runs out.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
andyree

ok re my last message.  I have solved the problem (not the one where Virgin refused to help as they said upload can fluctuate and is not guaranteed and tough lol but despite the rudeness it wasn't their fault and I have found the problem).  I had a new motherboard (Asus) which came with a cd full of goodies.  One of the programs claimed to manage and 'make the internet connection smoother' as part of the Asus AI suite (icontrol).  I switched icontrol off and hey presto my upload went from 0.2 back to 3.1 (I'm on a 30mb download).  So apologies to Virgin on this occasion.  I has only just had my download speed service restored after 2 months due to a problem at their end and countless techs and phone calls but though they compensated me I was still dubious about their service and again on this occasion I was wrong and the fault was at my end for the upload speed after my upgrade of motherboard etc.  If anyone else is running Asus AI that comes as a motherboard support cd try turning off icontrol.

:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Freakishly Helpful
Lindsey_P

Hi andyree,

Glad to see that your issue has been resolved. Thank you for keeping us updated! If you have any other queries, please don't hesitate to post again.

Kind Regards,

Lindsey P

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.