Ask a question
Making Waves
Celidh

Keep losing IP settings (Ethernet)

[ Edited ]

I am having problems with a PC which loses its IP settings once or more a day. It's connected to my router by ethernet. When this happens:

• At boot up, the IP address  is 192.168.0.207
    (The IP addresses should be in the range 192.168.1.x) 
  • Hovering over Network connection icon, it says "Access: local only"
  • I can't get on the internet

If I run Windows Network Diagnostics, they say: “The IP settings on this computer are not valid”. Choosing option 1. "Automatically get new IP settings for the adapter “Local Area Connection” generally does the trick. 

I never used to get this problem. Though I first noticed it when trying to switch to a new Wi-Fi router, it's persisted when I went back to my previous one.

Can anyone suggest what's wrong, plus a more permanent solution than doing this bodge every day?

Thanks, Celidh

Equipment

• Windows Vista, latest SP
  • Belkin Wireless G plus MIMO router
    Have had the same problem with a TP-Link TL-WR741ND
  • Cable modem is a Motorola Surfboard SB4100
  • Other laptops seem to be able to connect wirelessly to the internet during the times my direct ethernet connection is failing, so I wondered if the problem is more with the PC connected by ethernet cable.
  • When working correctly, the readings from my router are:

Wan IP         

Default gateway82.32.8.1

DNS Address     194.168.4.100

IP address      192.168.1.1

Subnet mask     255.255.255.0

DHCP Server     Enabled

EDIT: Removed personal information

Please use plain text.
Superuser
apcyberax

Re: Keep losing IP settings (Ethernet)

when you start up can you do ipconfig /all in a command prompt and paste the output here.

Sounds like you might have a dhcp on the networks somewhere giving out the wrong settings
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Celidh

> when you start up can you do ipconfig /all in a command prompt and paste the output here.

Ok, see below.

I noticed that DHCP is set in both the Belkin router and the Virgin Cable MOdem. However I have seen people say that DHCP on the modem is only used when you are connecting a single PC to it and it gets ignore if you connect a router????

Celidh

C:\Users\Admin>ipconfig/all
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : My home PC
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Belkin

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : Belkin
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82562V 10/100 Network Connection
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : **:**:**:**:**:**
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::a0c1:e1ab:421e:3d71%19(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.207(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 19 June 2011 07:04:21
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 26 June 2011 07:04:20
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.50
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 318775664
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : **:**:**:**:**:**-**:**:**:**:**:**-7A-61

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 194.168.4.100

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Please use plain text.
Superuser
apcyberax

thgough so you have a device on your network at 192.168.1.50 thats giving out bad ip information.

If this is a access point. nother router or even a network drive try disabling the dhcp server on it your dhcp server should be 192.168.1.1 so your not getting your ip address from your router.
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Celidh

> you have a device on your network at 192.168.1.50 thats giving out bad ip information.

Well interestingly, 192.168.1.50 is my DNS-323 NAS box, which is assigned a Static IP address. I also have a netwprked printer with static IP of 192.168.1.60. Each of these devices are working fine and their addresses fall within the range available.

I did a quick check of my NAS box. Whilst it does offer the option of acting as a DHCP server, this is disabled.

Any other thoughts?

Celidh?

Please use plain text.
Superuser
apcyberax

well it might be disabled but but thast teh where you ip is getting its ip from you can see that in your ipconfig
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.50

disconnect the nas drive and see if the pc gets the correct ip.
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Celidh

> disconnect the nas drive and see if the pc gets the correct ip.

Interestingly, the PC has booted & seen the network & internet fine for the past 2 days. During this time, the NAS box has been connected, so I don't think that's the cause of my problems.

I wonder whether, if the router is working correctly when the PC boots, it then hunts around and finds alternative sources? This has all arisen during a period when I've been trying to move from a Belkin Wi-Fi router to a TP-Link one.

Any other ideas?

Please use plain text.
Superuser
apcyberax

it will get the ip from the first device that replies.

dhcp requests are sent to every device on the network and any dhcp server will respond offering a ip.
you pc will access the first ip it gets.

If the router replies first thats teh ip the pc will use.

you can check what dhcp server gave you the ip in the ipconfig /all by looking at the ip of dhcp server:
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Celidh

That's interesting.

At the moment, I've assigned a Static IP address of 192.168.1.50 to my NAS and this falls in the range of valid IP adresses set on the router (192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.199).

Can I avoid this problem by setting the Static IP address to value outside this range (eg. 192.168.2.1) or do you think that the problem is happening just because this device is capabal of acting as a dhcp server (even though this function is disabled on it)?

As you can see, I don't know enough about network fundamentals......:smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Dr. Yes
John_O

Hi Celidh,

I'm afraid your issue does not fall within the Forum Support Scope, perhaps one of our more experienced community members will be able to advise you....

Regards,

John O

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.