Crafty
stevemitch2

Re: Keep getting "Server Not Found and "Timed Out" pages

So how do we get VM to sort out this issue if spaking to them on 150 gets nothing but them blaming our computers?

Can't even supply my own router due to the connection required on the cable and all other routers are phone socket connections!!

Steve

Please use plain text.
Superuser
horseman

[ Edited ]

stevemitch2 wrote:

Tony what are you talking about man???

Direct meaning hard wired, via cable from one of the 4 Lan ports on the rear of router to the port on the PC - Not wirelessly!!

What is it you are trying to inform people about that it is NOT POSSIBLE on this router to do that?

If your post isn't helpful - please DO NOT POST at all!

pons asinorum!

The VMDG280 ("Hub") has both (CABLE) MODEM and ROUTER COMBINED.  

Obviously you can't physically connect/cable to  (CABLE)MODEM port.

Unless you can place the ROUTER in transparent bridging mode then equally you can't get the functional equivalent of connecting to the (CABLE) MODEM (part of HUB) either.

VM have procured this bespoke abomination apparently from Netgear and locked down firmware giving a limited user configuration. 

Unless you have found a way of disabling DHCP,NAT and SPI FIREWALL all together then I suspect you may have hit a problem with some sort of FW/connection buffer limit/timing buglet...   

If you haven't done so already also try DMZ option..... 

Check this thread > "VMDG280  modem + Router"

Even then if problem remains (using one PC and simplified setup) you'd need to recheck CM stats/data pages and perform speed/trace/ping in case you actually have a non-optimal line conditioning/congestion problem.

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"
(don't PM me - in case ignoring you offends)
----------------------
Please use plain text.
Brainbox
bemusedmonkey

stevemitch2 wrote:

So how do we get VM to sort out this issue if spaking to them on 150 gets nothing but them blaming our computers?

Can't even supply my own router due to the connection required on the cable and all other routers are phone socket connections!!

Steve

You can buy cable routers, I've not got the one Virgin sent me.

Please use plain text.
Crafty
stevemitch2

So what router with built in modem do you use? as i have not been able to find any with modem in that do not connect from the phone line.

VM now supply this VMD G280 with modem built in and the cable screws directly into it - made specifically by Netgear for VM - the nearest on general sale from Netgear or anyone else still only have a phone connection and therefore are ADSL as they have modem in built too

Otherwise a router (without modem) DSL - USED to be able to be bought for a VM connection as VM would historically supply a modem which then connected to a DSL Router. That is no longer the case - they supply this VMD G280, as I say - all built into one place

So have you overcome this or are you talking about pre 6 months ago when VM supplied you with modem and seperate router - and you simply replaced the router?

Regards

Steve

Please use plain text.
Crafty
stevemitch2

WORST SO FAR - TODAY

ALL PAGES TIMING OUT - Cannot load

This is absolutely disgusting for a so called fibre optic - more reliable etc etc - I have now only had this service 10 days and am completely disgusted with just how bad it is and over half the time cannot use the internet

even tried calling 151 and get taken thru to a silence and then get cut off - there is no one there, end up pressing 3 for a wireless service then silence then told i pressed wrong key then im cut off - just how do VM get away with this???

TimePriorityDescription
 Time Not Established  Critical (3)  DHCP FAILED - Requested Info not supported. 
 Thu Sep 02 14:41:22 2010   Critical (3)  Resetting the cable modem due to docsDevResetNow 
 Thu Sep 02 14:36:55 2010   Critical (3)  No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out 
 Thu Sep 02 14:35:46 2010   Critical (3)  Resetting the cable modem due to docsDevResetNow 
 Time Not Established  Critical (3)  No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out 
 Time Not Established  Critical (3)  SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/Q... 
Please use plain text.
Crafty
stevemitch2

Why is it that VM customer service have not once been of help nor have any similar replies from them appeared on here??

their 151 number, as i said before cuts me off after making the selection saying i have made a wrong selection or pressed a wrong key - when i have not, also seen other people say the same in the forums.

i read someone else having the same issue and thought i would try and so far (fingers crossed) it was only 5 minutes ago, seems better

basically TURNED OFF THE FIREWALL IN THE VMD G280 Router SETTINGS AND ALL CHANGED.......

it stopped hanging on every webpage or failing to load the webpages

if this is the solution, surely that is a major bug or issue with these 'ROUTERS with BUILT IN MODEMS' that are heavily restricted against customers and VM/Netgear should sort it out and apply firmware fix or replace.....!!!

Please use plain text.
Superuser
horseman

stevemitch2 wrote:

i read someone else having the same issue and thought i would try and so far (fingers crossed) it was only 5 minutes ago, seems better

basically TURNED OFF THE FIREWALL IN THE VMD G280 Router SETTINGS AND ALL CHANGED.......

it stopped hanging on every webpage or failing to load the webpages

Well done! - It's amazing what you can achieve when you spend less time procrastinating and more time  reading and/or searching! :smileywink:       

You actually had the potential solution 40 hours ago....    of course if you didn't want to be helped you shouldn't have really posted here?  "'et tu Brute "    :smileywink:

....and yes if you continued your searching you would have also discovered apparently VM & NetGear are already looking at various problems/idiosyncrasies  with the VM "Hub".

Let's hope it fixes the immediate problem but I'd still recommend taking the opportunity to benchmark your CM stats in case you also have associated line conditioning probs.

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"
(don't PM me - in case ignoring you offends)
----------------------
Please use plain text.