Ask a question
One to Watch
lukech

How do I set up a wireless repeater

I'm looking for a comprehensive guide on how to set up a wireless repeater for the (absolutely worthless) SuperHub. I get the full 60mb if I'm within a metre or two of the hub, but as soon as I go to the back of the living room (still a direct line), or upstairs, it drops to around 18-20mb immediately, and in the back bedroom upstairs, I'm lucky if I can get 5mb.

I think I'm going to have to run a Cat6 cable up the side of the house and into my office window (which is already annoying), but I'd like to try putting my Linksys WAG320N (which is an ADSL2 modem, but should still work if I'm only using it as a router, I think?) at the back of the living room wirelessly, as a repeater. To clarify, I'd like:

Superhub (which is stuck a foot from the floor at the front of the house in the living room thanks to the idiot engineer who gave me only a foot of cabling from the entry box), sending wireless, presumably in modem mode, picked up by Linksys, which then sends the signal back out (hopefully more reliably) through the rest of the house.

Can I do that?

Please use plain text.
Human Answer Bank
VMCopperUser

Re: How do I set up a wireless repeater

Your not looking for a "Repeater" your looking for an "Access Point" / "AP".

If your WAG can disable Lan DHCP then it's easy.

I would connect a pc to the WAG and set it up first.

Set it's LAN IP to be in the range of the ones that the SH hands out but you'll need to set the SH to not use that IP in it's dhcp handouts.  I think the SH uses 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0 by default so you would be looking to use an IP of say 192.168.0.2 for the WAG.  Disable it's DHCP server, and make sure that the mask is 255.255.255.0.  Configure the wireless side the way you want it.  You may get a loss of connectivity when changing the IP address and turning off DHCP.

Move the pc over to the SH now, Mak esure the DHCP range starts after 192.168.0.2

Connect any port on the SH to any of the LAN ports on the WAG and you should be good to go.

Since you set the WAG to have to be in the IP range of the SH then you should be able to log into both devices.  192.168.0.1 for the SH, 192.168.0.2 for the WAG.  Keep in mind that no firewall/guest network/time restrictions will really work in the WAG setings, It becomes a device that will generally do packet forwarding and nothing else.

Hope this helps.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.

I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

Read or Not ....
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
lukech

If I do as you've asked, can I still use the other LAN ports on the SuperHub? That's right next to my TV, Xbox, Playstation, and Mac Mini, all of which could do with an ethernet connection, too.

Would it be possible to do the access point thing entirely wirelessly? i.e. without needing to connect the SH and LAN via any cable? This way, I can put the Linksys at the foot of the stairs or something, which might help the signal upstairs, at least until Virgin get their asses in gear and get an engineer out to re-position the router.

Is asking the engineer to run an ethernet cable up my outside wall feasible?

Please use plain text.
Human Answer Bank
VMCopperUser

lukech wrote:

If I do as you've asked, can I still use the other LAN ports on the SuperHub? That's right next to my TV, Xbox, Playstation, and Mac Mini, all of which could do with an ethernet connection, too.

Would it be possible to do the access point thing entirely wirelessly? i.e. without needing to connect the SH and LAN via any cable? This way, I can put the Linksys at the foot of the stairs or something, which might help the signal upstairs, at least until Virgin get their asses in gear and get an engineer out to re-position the router.

Is asking the engineer to run an ethernet cable up my outside wall feasible?

The tech will not run an etherent cable for you, and unless you buy uv resistant ones you wouldnt want it on the outside wall anyhow.  He may be willing to put the modem connection in another room but I dont know if this would be free or not.

Yes, Linking it like I said would allow you to use the other LAN ports on both the SH and WAG.. So you go from 4 usable ports to 6 usable ports (counting the 2 losses for the interconnect).

With the device you have it currently would not be possible to do it fully wireless only.

For performance the best is to go ethernet.

Second best would probably be modern wireline adapters.(av500 and not Negear ones at that)..

After that WiFi based repeaters could work, but it is usually not ideal.  Seeing how you say it has a poor signal then I would be tempted to not use that option.

av500 kit should get you around 80 meg throughput. (On par with the max of most 11n 300 meg wifi links)

I should have asked this from the start as well.

Are you using the SuperHub on the 2.4ghz band (better for range) or the 5ghz band?..

If it's in the 5ghz band then it would explain why it is not doing well at going through walls and such.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.

I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

Read or Not ....
Please use plain text.