on 22-07-2012 21:29
I am on virgins 20XL package on the old legasy network, ive had a few slow downs over the last few months but generally my service works most of the time.
My only issue seems to be some evening and weekend the speeds do drop to as low as 3MBs, ive been running a think broadband monitor for the last few days and things dont look to bad on that despite the speed dropping.
Now the forum team have sent me a SUPERHUB as they say my modem is old a may need replacing, my modem is the cisco scientific atlanta cp2100r2, do you think i should switch to the SUPERHUB or stick with my current modem for the time being.
One of the forum team checked my area that is area14 SL2 postcode and said he could not see any downstream or upstream issues on DOCSIS 3 NETWORK, i check the upgrades for my area and it says my area is currently being upgraded and should be finished by the end of july 2012
My worry is all the problems other forum members seem to be having with the SUPERHUB what with it keep resetting, i would use it in modem mode.
This is todays TBBM as you can see ive been using it on and off.
So come on wizz kids what would you do stick or twist
on 22-07-2012 21:46
I have had my Superhub since February 2011 and it has never rebooted or lost setting of its own accord, at present it is in Modem Mode and just sits there giving me the below speed day in day out.
22-07-2012 21:53 - edited 22-07-2012 21:54
i'd get a superhub, haven't had ANY problems with mine in router/modem mode, ignore all the horror stories.
on 22-07-2012 23:37
The simple answer is try it out, if it improves your BB speed then keep it connected if there's no difference or the speeds are poorer then go back to the old modem as it obviously isn't the cause of the speed drop. If you think you've been upgraded but aren't getting the new speeds make sure you turn off the modem then turn it back on again; you can check the modem's configuration page to see if you've been upgraded to the new speed beforehand if you wish.
on 23-07-2012 04:16
So come on wizz kids what would you do stick or twist
I can empathise with your indecision as I'm on a legacy 10L tier myself via Ambit 256 albeit serviced by a DOCSIS3 chassis running mixed mode DOCSIS1.
In my case the decision is a little easier as post SpeedDoubling I can for a period utilise existing 20XL configuration file and retain Ambit256. Personally 10mb is still more than adequate for my limited usuage profile and I'm not really overly concerned on the price differentials.
In your case there is no viable option to obtain the Speed Doubling (or trebling in your specific case) as there is no current config file for your Cisco SACM to enable 60/6mbps tier under DOCSIS1/2 even if the CM was technically capable of utilising it fully.
Unfortunately eventually we'll both be dragged kicking and screaming into DOCSIS3 as that is the strategic (and technically most obvious) direction anyway. Running DOCSIS mixed mode on same linecard has some performance hits anyway(but also for a lot of other reasons).
It really depends on how you play the "futures market" and guess how long it'll take for VM to release another more stable "UltraHub", firmware/hardware revision. Considering the sheer logistics of 4million Cable subscribers it's going to take some years for price differentials,attrition,churn rate to (encourage) migrate every user to DOCSIS3 anyway.
If future marketing drives alters the Homes Passed per Node takeup rate capacity plan then further major resegmentation may well alter our utilisation dynamic irrespective of whether we're still hanging on to DOCSIS1/2 with our finger nails anyway.
The whole things dynamic and area dependent, a post code lottery so unless your content to remain at 20XL for a XL60 price then there's not much choice anyway.
Just be aware that changing back to Cisco SACM once you've activated SHub may be for all practical purposes somewhat more problematic than others may suggest. Worst case you'd probably may have to escalate via Retentions/Complaints/CEO to enable a Level2/3 with necessary access rights to manual over-ride VM's current process/system control restraints.
That said some have been fortunate enough to encounter no difficulty reverting although usually this has been typically from a SuperHub to a VMNG300 (DOCSIS3 SACM) which really isn't applicable to your case.
Good luck whatever you decide.
on 23-07-2012 17:12
Thank you all for your input all very interesting and it seems most of you think i should take a chance and move over to DOCSIS3, just one comment to Doctor9fan as i think tony horseman said in his post once you move from DOCSIS1/2, their is very little chance to be switch back, this is why ive been so slow in changing over.
I think what im going do is wait till the end of this month because according to my account my area is being upgraded now and should be finished shortly.
I think i am intitled to move to XL60 i am paying for it so may as well give it a go
Once again thank you all for your input i will update this post when ive switched over and let you now how i get on.
on 24-07-2012 14:58
I think what im going do is wait till the end of this month because according to my account my area is being upgraded now and should be finished shortly......
Apologies but I think I'm about to potentially "rain-on-your-parade" again! That expectation of forthcoming upgrade may no longer be feasable in the previously published timescale! I would re-adjust your "dissappointment index" to allow for it changing (If Usain hasn't already) in next week or so..... Depends at what stage they are in your area already?
on 24-07-2012 19:55
Oh no dont say that , although anything is possible with virginmedia, according to Usain Bolt my area SL2 1SL AREA14 is being upgraded now with a possible finish date of the end of july.
I dont no if it makes any difference tony but we have only had a virginmedia fibre service in my area since around june 2010 witch is when i took their 10L service, my thinking is as we have very new infastructure would that not mean the upgrades would take less time to finish.
on 24-07-2012 20:06
Oh no dont say that , ....
You're right - ignore me (everyone else does! ) - just give it 4 weeks past the end of the Olympics before you start escalating?
You never know that might still just squeeze it in before Friday!