Ask a question
Making Waves
icetrails

Connecting an Archos device to my internet connection

Can anyone tell me how I can get the Wi-fi connection on my Archos home tablet?  I have done everything I was told in the manual, to set it up, but when I try to connect the Archos tablet to my broadband at home, it tells me that the password is incorrect, so which password are they referring to?  Is it the one which I use to get into Virgin Media, as this is the one which doesn't work?

Please use plain text.
Superuser
apcyberax

Re: Connecting an Archos device to my internet connection

its the wireless password of your router. this might be printed on a skicker on the router
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
icetrails

I had a look earlier, but there is no sticker on the router and I have no idea what the password can be, since when I use my password to open my computer, the broadband internet connection is already there, to access.  This technology is sooooo confusing!

Please use plain text.
Superuser
apcyberax

the wired connection will not need a password. only the wireless will.

can you please tell us the make and model of your router and someone can tell you where to get/change the wireless password

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
icetrails

It is a Netgear WGR 614 wireless G Router from Virgin Media.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
apcyberax

Ok point your broswer to http://192.168.1.1

Username and password should be admin/password

once there look for wireless settings on the left side and click it

you will then be able to set your network game (if you want to change it) and the network key

Select WPA or WPA2 and enter the password then click apply.

that will then be the password for your wireles devices to connect

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
icetrails

Oops, I did what you suggested, but the system threw me out, saying I was unauthorised.  But,... since starting this conversation, I did find my Virgin Media password and it allows me to use the wi-fi for my laptop at home and to get into my account in Virgin Media, so it has to be the correct one.  So I tried this in the Archos, but no, it's having none of it.  So I guess I'll have to ask the people at Archos themselves, what might be wrong with this device, but thanks for your help anyway.  Cheers.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
icetrails

Hi again, Whiz Kid!  I've since gone up to Currys for something and whilst I was there, I spoke to someone who let me connect to their in-store wi-fi just to test the Archos 7 tablet out and hey presto, it worked just fine, so the problem lies with the Virgin Media broadband connection I have at home.  It might be that it is restricting me to just connecting one device, i.e. my laptop, but I should be getting someone to come fix our cable box shortly, so I can ask about that problem then.

The main thing is that the Archos 7 tablet is working as it should and the guys at Currys were really impressed with it.  But I just wanted to thank you guys for trying to help me solve this latest problem.  Cheers to you all, byeeee.

Please use plain text.
Wizard
John_HH

Hi icetrails,

Your router should certainly allow you to connect multiple devices. If your laptop is working know the wireless is working.

The password should have been something you have set when you initially configured the router ( you will have probably changed it from the one specified on the sticker on the side of the router)

If you cant remember what the password is then you can change it via the configuration pages of the router using your laptop.

Type 192.168.1.1 into the address bar of your browser - username and password on the side of the router.

Chose Wireless settings top left side.

At the bottom it has a passphrase box which you can type your new password into.

click apply to confirm changed.

Regards,

John H

Help & Support Forum Team

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.

Please use plain text.