Ask a question
Making Waves
Pitkethly

Connecting Kindle to WiFi

Have just bought a Wi Fi Kindle and trying to connect it to my Netgear router, which Virgin supplied The Kindle detects a strong signal, but refuses to accept the passphrase (printed on the back of the router) as the password. I've now found out that the Kindle help pages say that Kindle is  "not compatible with passphrases. You must enter the complete WEP key, which contain letters a-f and numbers 0-9." But where do I get the WEP key from? No one at Virgin seems to know,. Does this mean I can't use the Kindle I have bought if I stay with Virginmedia?  Help!

Please use plain text.
Superuser
horseman

Re: Connecting Kindle to WiFi

Which Kindle model do you have (mine is currently downloading via a WPA-AES TKIP Wifi connection albeit not via a SuperHub)?

Depending on the SHub w/less configuration (mode etc) then WEP(option) may not be immediately available on say 802.11n higher speeds. However there's something odd if your Kindle is not supporting WPA?
Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
Please use plain text.
Superuser
griffin

[ Edited ]

You wil need to change the hub's wireless radio speed to up to 54Mbps to use WEP encryption.

I would thoroughly explore that if the Kindle is WPA capable before changing the hub's speed down as per Horseman's advice as WEP security is no longer secure.

Please use plain text.
Freakishly Helpful
Leanne_K

Hi Pitkethly,

Has the advice suggested helped answer your query?

I would first check to make sure WPA defiantly isn't available on the kindle, If its not you can change to WEP by accessing the superhubs configuration page and going into wireless settings.

Leanne K
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?
Please use plain text.
Superuser
horseman

Leanne_K wrote:

Hi Pitkethly,

Has the advice suggested helped answer your query?

I would first check to make sure WPA defiantly isn't available on the kindle, If its not you can change to WEP by accessing the superhubs configuration page and going into wireless settings.

Just testing my new "clairvoyance module" on my AI diagnostic cranial implant and guessing(using my remaining legacy human lobe) this user is possibly using a Kindle Fire then perhaps this link may help?  > WiFi Issues with Kindle Fire HD

:smileywink:

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
Please use plain text.
Freakishly Helpful
Leanne_K

Hi horseman,

It may indeed help, It certainly does make for a good read either way! :smileyhappy:

Leanne K
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Pitkethly

No not really. The trouble is tha tpeople trying to be helpful speak in technical language that is way over my head. I need some simple instructions tha ti cna easily follow.

If I look at Network info on the Kindle itself it gives a WPA as an option under 'Security type' but if I change it to that it make so difference.

When you mention, in your reply  'superhub', are you referring to my Netgear router? If so, how do I get into the 'configuration page' to do what you suggest and will it have any knock on effects elsewhere?

Sorry to be so painfully technically illiterate but I think I speak probably for a substantial majority!

Please use plain text.
Superuser
horseman

[ Edited ]

To avoid further assumptions, confusion and exasperation on your part (and ours! :smileywink: ) then two fundamental pieces of information that only you can provide by yourself (well Level2 could also remotely):

1. What model of Netgear "router" do you have? Look at the underside/back for a "tally" plate/sticker.

(eg if it's a SuperHub you should find "VMDG480" on label or it may be Standard media Hub with VMDG280 ? )

2. What model of Kindle do you have? Is it colour?, can you google on Amazon and find it?

Given the above then specific (but relevant) handholding step-by-step instructions can then be provided by the community?

Whether you have an old Cable Modem or a SuperHub then inserting "192.168.100.1" (without the quotes) in your browser address bar should giver you access.  Unfortunately you'll get a prompt for a user/password which depends on what specific CM/Hub you have.  Could be "root" for both user+pw or "admin" and "changeme" for SuperHub or even printed on rear/bottom of whatever you have?

Regards Tony
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Pitkethly

The only reference on the Virgin Netgear router that looks like a model number is DGN1000SP

The Kindle is the most basic Kindle. It is not colour

Please use plain text.
Superuser
horseman

[ Edited ]

Pitkethly wrote:

The only reference on the Virgin Netgear router that looks like a model number is DGN1000SP

Errrr - that's an ADSL2 router! Are you a cable customer or a National (BB via the Telephone) VM customer?

OK let's make it very simple, follow the cable from that Netgear and does it connect to a phone socket? (Your landline telephone will also be connected via a "micro filter" to the same and/or extension telephone socket?)

If it does then you're on the wrong forum (this is a cable broadband forum)!  :smileywink:

EDIT: ....and not to worry - if you are a National customer a mod will happily move this thread to the relevant board for you... (might cost you a few Hershey bars though! :smileywink: )

Regards Tony
Please use plain text.