Ask a question
Emerging Talent
grb9uk

Re: Chat rooms

Are all these problems happening to people who have only joined Virgin broadband within the last week? My installer told me that it was the first week for installing a new Virgin Media hub, perhaps this is the problem

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
GaydarSupport

We’re sorry to hear that a number of Virgin Media customers are not able to connect to Gaydar Chat and we’re looking into possible causes. Thankfully some of Gaydar’s technical team use Virgin Media Broadband at home so we’re currently looking into all possible problems and more importantly solutions to get you connected to Gaydar Chat as soon as possible. In the meantime, we value your patience and support and hope you’ll work with us to resolve the issue. Please note this issue is only affecting Virgin Broadband not Virgin Mobile Broadband or any other service provider such as BT or Vodafone Mobile Broadband. We hazard a guess, it could be due to the new Routers or something at Virgin stopping customers accessing the Gaydar Chat rooms.

It would be very helpful if you could supply the following information as this will help us understand more about your connection to the internet and your PC or MAC set up. Please answer these questions as fully as possible and send to support@gaydar.co.uk

Broadband Supplier: Virgin Media Broadband

Do you own a PC or MAC:

Operating System: e.g. Windows 7, or Snow Leopard 10.6

Virus Software: e.g. Microsoft Essentials

Firewall Software: e.g. Norton Firewall Version XX.XX

Internet Browser: e.g. Internet Explorer 8 or Safari 5.0

Flash Version: e.g. Flash 10.1 (download the latest versions here: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/)

What is the make/model of your internet router: e.g. N+ Belkin, Virgin Media Hub, DLink

Do you have anything extra connected to your router: e.g. Vonage or other piece of hardware

Have you recently made any adjustments to the internal settings of your router? YES/NO

If YES please tell us what you’ve changed recently:

Where do you live: include Region and Postcode

If you need help in supplying this information, please call +44 (0)208 744 1287 anytime from 8am – 11pm 7 days a week and we’ll gladly help you collate the information required. We hope to have further information that we can share with you regarding the progress of our investigations in the next few days.

Thank you again for your continued patience. We are committed to providing our customers with the best possible service. If there are any other features of Gaydar you`re unsure about or need help with, please get in touch. We`re here 7 days a week, from 8am to 11pm (GMT).

www.gaydar.co.uk - millions of men
www.gaydarradio.com - award winning radio
www.gaydarnation.com - entertainment and lifestyle
Please use plain text.
Gandalf
Pete_R

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

I've attempted to register an account to see if we can perform further testing on this end but this appears limited at present due to the site functionality.

I can advise that the site appears to load without issue and I can see that the chat section launches from a scripts section of the site.  If the chat application is hosted on a seperate server to the site itself then this could potentially cause some issues.

Until we're able to test further, I would recommend contacting Gaydar with the details they've requested above.

Regards,

Peter Rafferty

Help and Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
grb9uk

Sorry, I don't understand why you can't register an account with Gaydar, thousands of others can manage it. I still get the feeling that Virgin Media are not taking this problem seriously 

Please use plain text.
Good to Know
Welcome__BHX

grb9uk wrote:

Sorry, I don't understand why you can't register an account with Gaydar, thousands of others can manage it. I still get the feeling that Virgin Media are not taking this problem seriously 

The sign up process is screwed at the moment.

As for people having problems with chat have they tried dumping the useless broken VM DNS and tried OpenDns for the DNS servers?

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
GaydarSupport

Good morning.

We've discovered that Virgin Media is blocking ports 843 and 8000 on an old NTL network. We have been told by a Gaydar customer (after talking with Virgin) that Virgin Media have refused to unblock these ports, yet we know Adobe Flash and more importantly Gaydar Chat utilise them.

We advise all Virgin Media customers who cannot connect to Gaydar Chat to call Virgin Media and request they review the information below and unblock the port. 

Adobe information regarding port 843;

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/fplayer9_security_04.html#_Configuring_Socket_Polic...

www.gaydar.co.uk - millions of men
www.gaydarradio.com - award winning radio
www.gaydarnation.com - entertainment and lifestyle
Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
grb9uk

Could the forum team make a comment on why Virgin are refusing to unblock these key ports.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
apcyberax

i am not currenly aware of any ports that VM block for any reason. if you can tell me the ip address of the server that you need to connect to on this port i will test it from my VM connection as well as t-mobile and BT and see if i can confirm the blocked port

Please use plain text.
Superuser
apcyberax

also port 8000 can't be blocked as i use this port for one of my services...

http://masterserver.aj-services.com:8000/

If VM were blocking access to port 8000 that would not work.

Please use plain text.
Gandalf
Pete_R

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

I was able to register an account without issue, but I was unable to enter chat to try and replicate the fault due to profiles needing to be authorised.

This has since been done and I've accessed the chat utility and have been unable to re-produce the issue.  This is however on the ex-telwest platform, as such I've raised a ticket with our network management team to investigate the issue further on F001349705.

Regards,

Peter Rafferty

Help and Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.