Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
greevesi

Can't connect to the internet on my Samsung Smart TV UE40ES5500

Hoping someone can help.

I can`t connect to the internet on my Samsung Smart TV. It says "unable to connect to the network. I have tried automatic and manually putting in the IP and DNS settings with no luck.

My PC and XBOX live are connecting fine.

I can see that the MAC address on the TV settings is different to what I have on my xbox live settings but there is no way to change it.

Are other people coming across the same issue?

Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
Doctor9fan

Re: Can't connect to the internet on my Samsung Smart TV UE40ES5500

Is this wired or wireless? If wireless have set up the connection correctly - broadcasting your SSID & entering your passphrase correctly to allow the TV to find the connection.

Have you been able to connect previously?

Each item which connects to the internet should afaik have its own MAC address.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
greevesi

I'm connecting via a cable to my router. My PC and Xbox are working fine just haven't been able to connect the Smart TV to the internet since I bought it two weeks ago.

Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
Doctor9fan

I wonder whether it's looking for a wireless signal first, you may have already tried looking under the settings for network access on the TV to see whether it's set for wired or wireless connection, also if possible try another ethernet cable.

Please use plain text.
Human Answer Bank
VMCopperUser

I can`t connect to the internet on my Samsung Smart TV. It says "unable to connect to the network. I have tried automatic and manually putting in the IP and DNS settings with no luck.

When you say "Automatic" do you mean the option to use DHCP or "Get IP Automatically" or something like that... Hard to know for sure as I dont have this TV...

I can see that the MAC address on the TV settings is different to what I have on my xbox live settings but there is no way to change it.

what do you mean MAC address on the TV?..

If you mean the mac of the TV itself and it starts with something in this list then dont worry, that is just the identifier of the Tv itself to the network.  If you mean it doesnt list the WIFI Mac that the SH has then it sounds like it is trying to connect wirelessly.

What manual settings did you put into it?.. The subnet and gateway should match what it is on ther devices (255.255.255.0 and 192.168.0.1) and the lan IP you picked would need to start 192.168.0.x.

Was the TV new, You could try doing a full reset on the TV and see if it connects afterwards..

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.

I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

Read or Not ....
Please use plain text.
Crafty
JasonVG

If you're using a superhub, does the TV work when the hub is in modem mode at all?

You may also want to look at these vids from Samsung: 1 & 2, and it would be useful to the forum team to know where the network test suggested in the 2nd video fails, assuming you can get that far.

Jay.

----
I work for Virgin Media but anything I post from this account is my own opinion and not representative of the company. Please don't PM me either as I likely won't reply.
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
greevesi

Thank you for offering help.

I tried changing the settings to those suggested but it is still saying can't connect. Check IP setting and contact your service provider. (In answer to your other question the TV was brand new from John Lewis) I might try contacting John Lewis to see if they will exchange the TV but in all other respects the TV is working fine.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
greevesi

Thank you for the reply

I haven't got a Smart Hub. I am using the Scientific Atlanta Modem I received when I joined virgin and a router. I looked through the video links you sent but my TV doesn't have the same menus as the one shown. The network test just gets to the end and says IP address issue contact your service provider.

Please use plain text.
Crafty
JasonVG

[ Edited ]

Hello again,

Are you testing straight through the modem or through the router as well then? You do mention an xbox and a PC, just want to rule out things like a closed port or a router firewall...

Jay.

----
I work for Virgin Media but anything I post from this account is my own opinion and not representative of the company. Please don't PM me either as I likely won't reply.
Please use plain text.
Human Answer Bank
VMCopperUser

[ Edited ]

The SA modems are outdated and should have been replaced automagically..... Sadly the Magic that has been doing the AutoReplacement is a few years low and hasnt worked since the wonderus 10:1 uplift that happened in 2010...

That aside.

If you have a stand-alone router then is it close or are you using a really long ethernet wire?.

Have you logged into the router to see what the "Link Rate" is for the port in question?  That will be the "physical" connection speed that the devices are connected at.

So we know you have a SA modem, it should be connected to a Router that then shares the connection to your other devices.  So what we need to know is.

What router, and how is the TV connected to the router?

If wired then is it connected directly or do you use switches?

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.

I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

Read or Not ....
Please use plain text.