Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem

Downstream Receive Power Level : -1.31 dBmv

Downstream SNR : 34.93 dB

Upstream Transmit Power Level : 47.00 dBmv

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000 bps

Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000 bps

Maximum Number of CPEs : 1

Software Upgrade File Name : ntlhm120_ntl0002.cpr

Other than that there isnt much else, the status page all reports say "done". And there is no error log that I can  find for it. The only data I have ommited is my IP and Mac adresses.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Hawmaw

Re: Awful speeds on 10Mb

Lexandro ,

I'm also near Glasgow.

At 7pm today (Saturday) I got

Download : 3.7 mb/s

Upload : 0.45 mb/s

Ping : 73ms

I'm also on the Virgin 10mbps.  It's the upload speed that bothers me most as I advertise stuff on ebay & Gumtree and this afternoon I couldn't upload photographs at all.  I honestly don't think I've ever been capped , I just think the service is **bleep** !

I'm seriously thinking of getting O2 basic broadband which gives a max of 8mbps with unlimited use for £7.60 for existing O2 customers , which I am.  The only problem is I would have to keep the Virgin as well as I get the telly from them at a good price.  It would cost me to go to Sky and I've heard too many reports of the TV reception being poor during certain weather conditions.

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
SkUnKaDeLiC

Hi there. I joined a couple of months ago to the 10mb broadband service (+ TV/phone but they are ok) and the speed has been brilliant, up to 1100kbps, now it has slowed down to 200-300kbps, it was 1000 earlier on in the day then all of a sudden it went back to 200-300kbps. Anyone else having similar problems? Anything we can do about it? Cheers, Ryszard.
Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
Lexandro

@Hawmaw - You can now get Sky TV via an XBOX 360 system. There is no need for a dish or any extra peripherals the 360 does it all. Its streamed over Xbox LIVE, so all you need is an internet connection.

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
SkUnKaDeLiC

Speed seems to be better today. Hope it stays that way for tonight!. Ryszard.
Please use plain text.
Superuser
horseman

Lexandro wrote:

Modem data as requested;

Other than that there isnt much else, the status page all reports say "done". And there is no error log that I can  find for it. The only data I have ommited is my IP and Mac adresses.

OK - as you correctly surmised nothing seems glaringly obvious - however "smack hand" for not doing as your were told (daddy knows best) and supplying all the pages and info cos now I have to ask again to confirm:

1. You're still bimbling along on an NTL 120 CM?

2. I'm assuming you are not still using USB?

3. Therefore wired - you have checked/tried setting full duplex both ends and certainly not Autonegotiate?

4. I'll make a leap of faith that also these levels don't fluctuate or change during your "speed problems"?

If you really are intent on retaining that museum piece for posterity then we could potentially waste a lot of time "tweaking" other options and checking the rest of the currently unanswered points.....

and even though you might still have to sanity check what NIC you're using (speed wise).....then ......

I suggest as you're not future proofed for 100Mbps DTE speed or other service tier uplifts then you should first consider whizzing off to say the VM newsgroup (virginmedia.support.broadband.cable) and I'd be surprised if they don't automatically send you at least a new Ambit 256 without any argument?

Just in case you don't get anything else for Xmas perhaps?

Drop back if you have any problem(my son's an AstroPhysics fresher at Herts uni and still mistakenly thinks I'm capable of doing his homework!) or a chat or just want to be insulted some more.....

Good luck...

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Crispy

A little update

An engineer came round on Friday to sort my broadband out (10mb, Manchester Area)! He found out that I had too much signal coming through, so he put a 4dB cable simulator & 6dB forward path attenuator on (he even try to change the modem twice but they wouldn’t boot up, so I still have my NTL:home 200 modem)! That was one reason why my speed was slow & he also said that my speed is slow is because I’m in a high student area & they can’t cope with the demand that they are getting! He told me they no about the speed issues & are working on a solution!

After he had been I did a couple of speed tests (between 7pm & 8pm) & I was averaging about 4mb! I also did a couple at about 1am (was bored lol) & got an average of 8mb!

Today its back to being slow (1.6mb), so I’m going to give them a couple of weeks to see if they can sort it out, if they cant I’m off the sky (already enquired about it)

It just seems that they have bitten off more than they can chew & they can’t cope, but won’t admit it!

P.S don’t use speedtest.net to check your speed as it isn’t accurate! At the time of writing this it says I have a speed of 3.81mb, but thinkbroadband.com & broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk say I have a speed of 1.6mb (my PS3 says 1.6mb as well)

Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
Lexandro

[ Edited ]

Horseman that is all the data from the modems data page.

1.)If thats what the modems are called that they first handed out for NTL then yes I am. I have asked for a new one over the phone before but both times I did the person on the line said there was nothing wrong with the one I had so they woudlnt send a new one.

2.) Never ever used USB I have the modem plugged to my ethernet port and always have. The rig I have is a good one and the Ethernet is a 100mb data rate.

3.) Forgive me, I know little of networking. How would I go about setting its negotiation?

4.) There is some fluctuation in the modem data, however its the power level up/ down that fluctuate about 0.5 I assumed that was normal.

And I have never used a newsgroup and wouldnt know how. That would need explaining as to what it is and how it works.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
horseman

Lexandro wrote:

Horseman that is all the data from the modems data page.

1.)If thats what the modems are called that they first handed out for NTL then yes I am. I have asked for a new one over the phone before but both times I did the person on the line said there was nothing wrong with the one I had so they woudlnt send a new one.

2.) Never ever used USB I have the modem plugged to my ethernet port and always have. The rig I have is a good one and the Ethernet is a 100mb data rate.

3.) Forgive me, I know little of networking. How would I go about setting its negotiation?

4.) There is some fluctuation in the modem data, however its the power level up/ down that fluctuate about 0.5 I assumed that was normal.

And I have never used a newsgroup and wouldnt know how. That would need explaining as to what it is and how it works.

1. Well if you're not intending to go to 20Mbps in future then theoretically he could be right. There were issues with these modems on XL tier and they were being swapped out.

However they are so cheap it seems somewhat petty to refuse. I still think VM newsgroup support would both be far more sympathetic and also guide you thru remaining diagnostics more effectively than here where we don't appear to have a tame L2 network engineer with access to VM network utilities for essential UBR checks and logs.

2. Good on both counts 

3. While it essentially applies to XL tier try > 20Mbps Optimisation

Just save/note existing settings before changing anything so you can backout.

The point about half/Full duplex and Auto negotiate is > Robins Tips-Ambit 120

4. Doesn't look to be  significant if measured during speed fluctuations as well.

Admittedly I don't have an Ambit120 with NTL firmware to dispute/check what you've already stated. However I'm somewhat dissappointed that there is no "error log" and no setting for Half/FullDuplex/Auto on CM side?  

Perhaps v2 ntl firmware removed that ability?

This must be set to Auto on CM side if above supposition is correct so if you try 100Mbps FD on PC NIC properties this may produce some improvement. Ideally I would want to fix both ends(the same).

Again VM NG will hopefully shed light on this even if they  don't feel modem replacement is justified.

One cautionary note on any potential CM swap is that a new service config file will be required and while I don't think current activation (server) problems would affect this -  it's worth asking an intelligent VM person(which clearly isn't me on both counts<g>)

That probably leaves us with a number of  working hypotheses:

1. Using speedtest type web sites can be sporadically inaccurate.  Downloading 2 large files concurrently from say VMGamesfile server and timing/checking d/l rate is more consistently accurate.  

2. UBR utilisation impacts - while doing both single and multistream downloads and comparing any difference might give us a clue this is best checked by VM NG

3. False STM trigger/profile - I feel this is so unlikely that it's akin to clutching at straws.

4. UBR noise/ uncorrectable FEC errors - Again only VM NG can check.

5. What I call 50Mbps/2-10Mbps Rollout co-lateral impacts.

There is circumstantial or tenuous evidence (including activation server prob) that while these upgrades are rippling thru various franchises then groups of users are experiencing not dissimilar sporadic probs to yourself. In fact I personally had 1 days sporadic disco and then got stalled on different d/s frequency to what I had been on before which neccessitated an engineer visit to reset the line (curiously couldn't be done remotely?)

Finally as regards NG access then various newsreaders are available.  I use cross platform mozilla based Thunderbird  and you just plugin appropriate server/news group

news://news.virginmedia.com:119/virginmedia.support.broadband.cable

You may be able to figure it out from the above  "location" if not will need to post step-by-step guide.

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
SkUnKaDeLiC

Okay, what is happening is I was getting 10mb, then at 7:30PM (it seems to be around that time every night!) it went drastically down to a 'stable' 2-3mb. What is going on?! I am paying for 10mb......
Please use plain text.