Bright Spark
StNeots197

Annoying short broadband connection breaks

Hi,

I have been experiencing a quite annoying problem with my Virgin Media cable broadband internet connection for approx two or three months now. Generally the connection is okay, but a few times each day the connection is lost, i.e. no internet connection at all. When this happens there are two solutions to the problem:

1) Wait a few minutes (usually 2 to 5 minutes) and the connection comes back on its own.

2) Disconnect cable from the cable modem, restart cable modem, connect the cable to modem, and it works again promptly after that.

This problem got worse since last week or week before last week. Sometimes it happens 2-3 times within an hour. It is very annoying as then Skype calls disrupted, internet radio distrupted, any downloads pending disrupted (very often have to restart most/all of the donwloads), any online watched movies disrupted (I am a Lovefilm member with unlimited watch movies online package) etc.

Approx. 2-3 years ago we had this problem for a year(!) or so. Finally (after reporting the fault 4 or 5 times) a VM engineer finally solved the problem - the box just outside in front of our house needed some new cables and it was okay after that. But now the problem has raised its ugly head again, and it is getting worse. I have no idea what is the reason of this problem nor what the solution would be. Maybe the entire box outside (big green box that got all the phone/cable wires/lines in it) is obsolete? Maybe moisture gets in it? How could I achieve that VM fixes this problem for once and all? Anybody with similar problem and possibly a solution?

Thank you 

Please use plain text.
Superuser
Swt4ajp

Re: Annoying short broadband connection breaks

Hi Please Click Your Modem/Router from the list below

Legacy standalone modems like ambit, ntl, surfboard or any others

VM Hub VMDG280

VMNG300 (50mb) Modem

Superhub

and also Click Here to download a test file please click it twice and after about 1 minute calculate the speed together

and also Click Here to see how to run a tracert test

also can you tell us if your connection to the router is Ethernet or wireless

if your on wireless try to change the wireless channel (also try to download InSSIDer that will tell you what wireless channel isn’t being used or the least used) and also have you tried lowering the speed of the wireless? If not try this Wifi Speed work around

and post all the results here makes it quicker at diagnosing the issue

also if using Legacy standalone modems or the VMNG300 (50mb) Modem can you make sure you have removed the router and put the Ethernet lead straight into the modem and reboot the modem and computer. And if using the superhub try to put it into modem mode by following this guide Superhub in Modem Mode

Thanks
I do not work for Virgin Media, All advice is given at your own risk. Im A Computer Tech/Network Engineer If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Helpful Answer. | Connection Problems Check Here | Forum changes | Blackburnnet | GamesUnited | How to Test Your Speed | Blackburnnet on Facebook | GamesUnited on Twitter | VM SmartCall App
Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
StNeots197

When I click any of those links I get a security warning from my anti-malware software saying the page is blocked due to its possibly harmful content.

Anyway, I have a Cisco cable modem attached to a NetGear router. I disabled the wireless function of the router entirely, both of our computers are attached to it via high quality cables.

I seriously doubt that the source of problem is within our flat. First, I did not change anything to the modem, router or computers in the last two or so years, and everything worked find up until a few months ago. Second, I talked to one of my neighbours (in the same block of flats), who has Virgin Media cable broadband, and he is experiencing the same problem too! 

Please use plain text.
Superuser
Swt4ajp

StNeots197 wrote:

When I click any of those links I get a security warning from my anti-malware software saying the page is blocked due to its possibly harmful content.

hi

there is no harmful content on my site :smileyhappy: what malware security are you using? as i have another site with .co.cc at the end of the address and that has been flagged before but i can verify that there is no harmful content.

Thanks
I do not work for Virgin Media, All advice is given at your own risk. Im A Computer Tech/Network Engineer If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Helpful Answer. | Connection Problems Check Here | Forum changes | Blackburnnet | GamesUnited | How to Test Your Speed | Blackburnnet on Facebook | GamesUnited on Twitter | VM SmartCall App
Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
StNeots197

Hi,

Those particular webpages were blocked by Lavasoft Ad-Aware Pro with the following message:

"Visiting this site may harm your computer!
To keep you safe, this page was blocked by Ad-Aware 10 "Shop & Bank safely online" feature. To view this page please disable this functionality in your Ad-Aware 10 interface then try again." 

To the broadband dropping problem: I talked to my neighbour today and he confirmed that he still have the problem too. I had an idea today: maybe there is a "coincidence" between VM doubling the speeds and the dropouts? The problems started when the first speed increasements started.

Last week when I checked VM's broadband status checker with my postcode it said for a week that there were "intermittent broadband connection" problems. Then, apparently they fixed those on Monday (14 May) as the status changed to "good service". Maybe not all the problems were fixed...

Cheers,

Attila 

Please use plain text.
Forum Team
Jen_A

Hi StNeots197, 

I have sent you a PM regarding this.

Once we receive your reply we shall be able to progress this for you.

I would also like to point out that the technician may exchange your modem for a Superhub if he feels your current equipment is faulty.

Jen_A
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?
Please use plain text.