Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Good to Know
umbrokhan

Re: WHY AM I BEING THROTTLED?

just ring virgin media and see what they say. ring 150 or 151

i got 100Mb broadband i get throttled on week ends. sometimes get buffering on youtube full HD..

you can try your wireless mode 144Mb to 300Mb and see if you get full speed. but it might cause problem to neighbours..

wireless mode 300Mb use's two channel so can mix more with neighbours channel

and 144Mb uses 1 channel..

i think of down grading to 30Mb broadband after my 12 months contract or maybe talk talk 2 save money

Please use plain text.
Boffin
Bigwilkey

simple fact is guys ou may not be getting throttled at all, its the network not being able to handle the 100mb they are trialing the 120mb as we speak yet they cant even give a stable 100mb, Virgin Media as a broadband supplier are running before they can walk.

Regards

VMG300 Most Reliable Modem To Come From Virgin Media, twitch.tv/bigwilkey youtube.com/bigwilkey twitter.com/Bigwilkey
Please use plain text.
Brainbox
SherlockHolmes

Bumped for Virgin Media reply.

Please use plain text.
Wizard
bma1445

I've had the same thing a couple of times before - and virgin just said "it must just be the utilisation in the area", even though my connection matched the limits perfectly.

It happened again last week. According to my router stats, during the entire day (from midnight to 6pm) I'd downloaded a total of 1.5GB, yet I'd been throttled. Didn't even bother calling for that one since virgin never seem to do anything (they appear to have no way to reverse the throttling if it's triggered wrongly).

I still find it hillarious that throttling can be (legitimately) triggered after just 13 minutes though :/

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
ethan103

Im pretty sure, the more you bump, the less likely you are to get a response.
================================================================================================

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2158764361.png
Please use plain text.
Brainbox
SherlockHolmes

Ethan, could you explain the reasoning behind your logic? Thanks for your useless input.

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
SherlockHolmes

"Well this is a forum, so its expected it will atract people with problems. Thats the main reason why its here, to help people."

The above is a post you made Ethan.
Now its been shown in plenty of threads by other users of the forum that the staff who monitor the forums can take days on end to reply to posts. So how can consistently bumping a post in hope for a response be counter productive? Are you implying that because my post has been ignored by staff it doesn't deserve an answer? Instead of insisting on being given an explanation for a problem, should Virgin Media customers just accept that no one will provide any help and forget about it? If you have nothing intelligent to say it's perhaps best if you don't say anything at all.
Please use plain text.
Brainbox
SherlockHolmes

bma1445, I to find the over utilisation excuse hard to bvelieve too. I've noticed when I appear to have been throttled its always to the 50% reduction as stated in the STM policy. The speeds are not eratic like one could expect if it simply was over utilisation. Speed tests always show a consistent 50-51mb speed limit which is consistent with a 50% reduction to a 100mb connection.

Atleast we know we are not alone with this problem. I'm still amazed there hasnt been any input from virgin media at all in thid thread. Contrary to Ethans ideas I'll bump this thread every day if I have to.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
ethan103

SherlockHolmes wrote:
"Well this is a forum, so its expected it will atract people with problems. Thats the main reason why its here, to help people."

The above is a post you made Ethan.
Now its been shown in plenty of threads by other users of the forum that the staff who monitor the forums can take days on end to reply to posts. So how can consistently bumping a post in hope for a response be counter productive? Are you implying that because my post has been ignored by staff it doesn't deserve an answer? Instead of insisting on being given an explanation for a problem, should Virgin Media customers just accept that no one will provide any help and forget about it? If you have nothing intelligent to say it's perhaps best if you don't say anything at all.

Because the forum Staff work their way from the bottom - up.

They look at the oldest first and reply because those are the ones getting no replies and therefore as others cannot help, a Staff member will look there first.

If you keep replying and bumping it will stay at the stop and a staff member most likely wont reply, as you can see.

You will have to stop posting for around 3 - 7 days to get a proper response.

I would guess and say a forum staff member cannot help you anyway.

If the system triggers STM on your connection, i doubt you can prove otherwise and have it reversed anyway.

It has happened to me also but you have to deal with it.

So yeah, I would calm down and wait for my response.

If not, phone 150....

================================================================================================

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2158764361.png
Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
James_C

Hi to all concerned,

If you feel you are being traffic managed incorrectly you will need to call us when you feel this is happening.  We have the tools to then determine if you are or not and we can deal with it.  In this instance I have not got the times and dates you were traffic managed so we will need to see this in real time.

I am sorry for the inconvenience this may cause you.  With regards to "bumping" it generally has the opposite effect to that intended.  The reason for this is that the order in which we reply to posts is based on the date/time of the last post within the thread. Each subsequent post within this thread essentially put the thread to the back of the queue. 

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

James_C
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?

Please use plain text.