Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
mhickson

Re: Very Slow BBC iPlayer

I, too, have recently been experiencing extremely slow BBC iPlayer downloads to the point at which the service is less than useless.

I have a 100Mb cable account with Virgin and a superhub in modem mode feeding an Apple Airport Extreme router.

Speeds are generally very good, the problem is only with BBC iPlayer downloads. Why is this and what can be done to fix it?

Please use plain text.
Expert Opinionator
ricardo1

[ Edited ]

mhickson, during the times of your slow downloads can you please run a speed test on the London Namesco server on speedtest.net to see if speeds can be affecting your issue. When you say you are getting slow BBC iPlayer downloads do you mean streaming content is slow? There are currently issues with virgin media and streaming at the moment. Check the link below which I am sending to you.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-60Mb-Speed/Video-Services-Buffering-pt3/td-p/1582824

Please use plain text.
Wizard
nigelr

ricardo1

My area has utilisation issues (upstream and downstream), no getting away from that.  However, the problem with iPlayer desktop over the last month or two is that even when it's a good speed period and I say get around 30-40 down on a speed test, including the London Namesco, with no real packet loss on the TBB graph, the iPlayer downloads simply refuse to go above perhaps 4mb and usually settle at less than 1mb.  This is actually downloading the desktop versions of the programmes rather than streaming which is naturally broken anyway.

I've reinstalled the iPlayer desktop and Adobe Air - had to roll back a version of Air a couple of weeks back as the latest bullsed up the application - known BBC fault.

At around 7am I can pull down around 35-40mb on iPlayer desktop.

It's as if there is some sort of severe traffic throttling or congestion going on other than at very off peak times.  VM's response to my post on this was the utilisation issues but this doesn't really in my mind explain why this particular service would be hit so badly over other downloads.  I'm not convinced there isn't some sort of peering congestion somewhere to whoever supplies the iPlayer desktop assets; or something within the VM network (perhaps on the local UBR due to it being under strain) is flagging this particular traffic as low priority or indeed perhaps P2P.  The speeds are certainly reminiscent of P2P traffic during peak times.

Nigel

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
mhickson

BBMax currently showing 30880kbps - iPlayer simultaneously downloading at 299kbps.

This is downloading programmes to iPlayer desktop rather than streaming.

I have no speed issues with anything other than these iPlayer downloads.

Please use plain text.
Forum Team
Jen_A

Hi to all who have posted on this thread,

The issue with BBC iplayer is linked to the problems we have with YouTube streaming. Please read the post by Mark Wilkin on this by clicking here. That post also contains additional links to updated posts, so ensure you read those too.

In short though, this issue is under investigation and is in the process of being resolved. However, if you have problems with anything besides BBC iplayer or YouTube, please let us know so that we can investigate your issue individually.

Jen_A
Help & Support Forum Team

Problem Solved?Fault with your service?We did warn you!
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
mhickson

[ Edited ]

I've been meaning for a while to post and say that this issue seems to have been resolved.

Thank you!

Please use plain text.
j26
The Sorter
j26

mhickson wrote:

I've been meaning for a while to post and say that this issue seems to have been resolved.

Thank you!

Been resolved for me for about 2 weeks now.

Thanks from me also! 

Please use plain text.
Community Lead
James_W

[ Edited ]

Hi mhickson and j26,

Glad to see it's all sorted, and many thanks for letting us know.

Kind regards,

James W
Community Lead - Help & Support Forum Team

Problem Solved?Fault with your service?We did warn you!
Please use plain text.
j26
The Sorter
j26

Sorry but It seems it's now unfixed as of yesterday for me :smileysad: 

Both are just not working. 

Please use plain text.
Usually Always Right
Steve_Brett

Hi j26

Everything on the network looks fine. Modem power levels are also OK. Couple of short periods - 30 min max - over the past 3 days where utilisation has peaked to a level that may have caused some buffering, but these periods really are few and far between.

Are you still experiencing issues today ? Is it all content or just certain vids that are slow to load/play.
Kind Regards,

Steve Brett
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?

Please use plain text.