Ask a question
Crafty
FunkyCrunky

SuperHub 2 DNS Settings?

Hi,

Is there anyway I can add/change DNS settings with the SuperHub 2? Previously I was using the super hub in modem mode and had an Apple Time Capsule (TC) to send the signal which allowed me to enable DNS through the TC, but I was losing a lot of the speed this way so I've reverted back to using the super hub.

I have 3 children so I like to keep them safe by using OpenDNS, but I cannot see anywhere where I can input the DNS in this super hub.

I know I can enable this in computer but as the kids are getting older and more computer savvy they might be able to disable it in the future. If I add it in the router they won't be able to get into the router and change the settings in there.

Thanks in advance.

Please use plain text.
Crafty
FunkyCrunky

Re: SuperHub 2 DNS Settings?

Also, cannot get into advanced settings as it says the file cannot be found. I lost internet earlier today and one of the call centre staff fixed that by taking control of my computer and restoring the superhub 2 back to factory settings.

All I've done since that is change the password to login to the superhub and change the SSID. Nothing else.

Please use plain text.
Gandalf
legacy1

Use your Apple Time Capsule to set the DNS.
------------------Die-hard direct connection modem user :smileytongue:
Believing is catch 22 the VMDG280 should never of been made the Super hubs 1 & 2 could have been built better the years go by and we can't see the mistakes that were made to make things right.
The more that use modem mode the more we need IPv6: BQM, Outgoing ports test
Please use plain text.
Crafty
FunkyCrunky

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
gary_dexter

You cant

the SH is a basic, user friendly home router

settings that seem complicated to some, such as DNS settings, are not added to keep the simplicity level

this is why modem mode is there, for users who want more advanced settings

Sky and BT are the same with their routers

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Please use plain text.
Gandalf
legacy1

FunkyCrunky wrote:

How else can I get around this and use DNS? I don't want to manually add the settings on each computer as they're easily removed. I need to add it in router since only I know the passcodes to get into it.

So is resetting the hub that clears the logon password.

The only reason its easily removed on computers is by allowing everyone admin rights on your computers which is a bit more troubling so by having a logon with limited/standard user rights for everyone and only you have a password for admin rights this stops the changing of DNS.

You are also thinking that because you set DNS up on a NAT router that it does not matter what DNS you set on your PC yet any DNS you enter in a PC will use that DNS and then it does not matter what DNS you set in any normal NAT router so you might as well set it in your PC and other devices with parental control.

------------------Die-hard direct connection modem user :smileytongue:
Believing is catch 22 the VMDG280 should never of been made the Super hubs 1 & 2 could have been built better the years go by and we can't see the mistakes that were made to make things right.
The more that use modem mode the more we need IPv6: BQM, Outgoing ports test
Please use plain text.
Superuser
Sephiroth

I have a SH2 in modem mode with an Airport Express as the attached router. From April through July I was in router mode as a SH2 triallist.

With firmware v26 performing perfectly well, I reverted to modem mode (which I had on SH1). My speeds remained the same in modem mode as router mode.

So what could be wrong in your case?

1/
Is your TC set to "Share public IP"?

2/
Have you tried changing the Ethernet cable between TC and SH2?

The problem must lie outside the SH2.
Seph - (My advice is at your risk)

Please use plain text.
Crafty
FunkyCrunky

I know that resetting the SH2 clears the logon password, I change all passwords and SSIDs for security so they're not the same as per printed on the bottom of the SH2 so only I know have access to the full settings, etc.

I already know about admin rights on computers and such. For personal reasons which I don't want to explain here, I'm trying to restrict bad websites on everyone's computers on our network and this includes my partners too. He wouldn't be too happy if I removed his administrative account, but he's part of the problem.

Please use plain text.
Crafty
FunkyCrunky

OK back to the old network and after the Ethernet cable change to a brand new one I'm still getting slow speeds: 

Between 10-11 Mbps so can't be the Ethernet cable?

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=1377359636&v=20418725

and

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2921334592

I'll try the settings next time when I know what to put in.

Also, I forgot to mention the DHCP range is 10.0.1.2 to 10.0.1.200. Whenever I try to set the IP address under network options I get a drop down...

DHCP lease is currently set to 4 hours.

After attempting to just set the default host address as is speed increases, but not half as enough as it should be:

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=1377360209&v=20418800

and

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2921344289

Please use plain text.
Superuser
Sephiroth

[ Edited ]

I hope the setup instructions below clarify what needs to be done to have it working properly assuming that there is no Ethernet cable impairment between ATC and SH.

ATTACH AN AE/ATC ROUTER TO A VM SUPERHUB

1/
Plug a Cat 5e Ethernet cable from your AE/ATC WAN port into the first LAN port on the Hub (Modem Mode) or any port (Router Mode).

2/
Plug your PC into any AE/ATC LAN port and invoke the AIRPORT UTILITY

You're now ready to configure the AE/ATC.

AIRPORT EXTREME CONFIGURED FOR VIRGIN CABLE

AE = Airport Extreme (and AIRPORT TIME CAPSULE)
AU = Airport Utility v5.5.3 or later

Check/configure:

AU
--\Manual Setup -> Supply password if needed
----\Internet------\Internet Connection
------Connect Using -> Ethernet------Ethernet WAN Port -> Automatic (Default)
------Connection Sharing -> Share a public IP address (Modem Mode)
------Connection Sharing -> Off (Bridge Mode) (Router Mode)

------\TCP/IP--------Confifgure IPv4 -> Using DHCP  (Not to be used in Router Mode)
--------IP Address -> Renew DHCP Lease (should set itself to your VM static ip-address)
--------DNS Servers -> set to the OPENDNS values. 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220
--------DNS Servers -> or set to the fast Google DNS values. 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4
--------Domain Name -> should set itself to cable.virginmedia.net once the IP address lease is obtained

------\DHCP--------DHCP Beginning Address -> 192.168.1.2 (just a suggestion). (Not to be used in Router Mode)
--------DHCP Ending Address -> 192.168.1.200   (This is your router's DHCP scope.)

------\NAT
--------Default -> leave blank unless you want to make a specific assignment (not part of this topic)
--------Enable NAT Port Mapping Protocol -> tick

If the AE light turns green, it won’t be necessary to switch off all PCs & networking equipment and switch back on (slowly) in order, VM modem --> AE --> any Homeplugs or switches --> Finally PC/Laptop Xbox etc.

SETTING UP WIRELESS ACCESS

The AE router supports both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radio modes (simultaneously) depending on the mode of the PC or other device that wishes to connect to the AE.

Configure as follows:

AU
--\Manual Setup -> Supply password if needed
----\Airport
------\Wireless
------Wireless Mode -> Create a wireless network
------Network Name -> xxxxxxx (xxxxxxx is a name of your choice. 
--------Allow this network to be extended -> Do not tick this box during this initial setup
------Radio Mode ->  Automatic  This will allow both 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz modes
------Channel:  Automatic

------Wireless Security -> WPA/WPA2/Personal
------Wireless Password ->  8 to 63 characters.  A connecting device will need to enter this password.
--------Remember this password in my keychain -> It's up to you.  I didn't, preferring to use a memorable word

Click UPDATE to save your settings. 

If you want to keep your SSID from being broadcast, then you can go into Wireless Options to make that setting.

Otherwise, at this stage, Wireless Options need not be considered. It contains options to allow you to specify a Region, the Multicast Rate and Transmit Power (default 100%) and a couple of other options that may be considered at a later date if necessary. 

A word about  Access Control.  By default it is Not Enabled. In my opinion, it need not be enabled unless you've chosen WEP security which is much weaker than WPA2.

A quick word about a blinking orange light

You might think the engineer left you in Modem Mode when in fact he hadn't.  You may thus have followed the Modem Mode instructions above.  You will then see the AE light blinking orange and the AU Status page will show the orange lamp against the warning: "Double NAT".

Note that you are still able to use the internet for normal browsing and if you put the AE into Bridge Mode, the light will turn green.  If you definitely want Modem Mode, you'd set the SuperHub into Modem Mode, it will reboot and when everything is up and running, the lamp will be green.

Seph - (My advice is at your risk)

Please use plain text.