Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
jneil
Helpful Answer

I need a fixed IP address

Can anyone advise how I get a fixed IP address?  I need to provide my employer withone so that I can access our systems from home.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Fix-a-Lot
legacy1

Re: I need a fixed IP address

[ Edited ]

Tell your employer to give you a fixed IP because ISP for customers is a Dynamic WAN IP and can change at any time and they shouldn’t need you to have a fixed IP if they use VPN that you authenticate that you are you.

Or look here:
http://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk

------------------Die-hard direct connection modem user :smileytongue:
Believing is catch 22 the VMDG280 should never of been made the Super hubs 1 & 2 could have been built better the years go by and we can't see the mistakes that were made to make things right.
The more that use modem mode the more we need IPv6: Pingtest, BQM, Speed Test, Outgoing ports test
Please use plain text.
Community Lead
James_W

Hi jneil,

I'm sorry, but I have to confirm legacy1's advice to you: fixed (static) IP addresses are not available on our residential service. 

We have a lot of customers who use VPNs with a dynamic IP, so it should be achievable, depending of course on the technology your employer is using.

Virgin Media business currently offer static IP addresses on their basic package at an additional cost, so it might be worth checking their packages as legacy1 suggests, if your work are unable to resolve this.

Regards,

James W
Community Lead - Help & Support Forum Team

Problem Solved?Fault with your service?We did warn you!
Please use plain text.
Brainbox
itsadam

[ Edited ]

As a quick reply here; My IP hasn't changed once since joining Virgin Media; so I don't think the lease time expires ever :smileywink: I wouldn't worry about not having a static IP.

@legacy1  They will want him to have a static IP for security reasons, it's a generally accepted policy; people don't like to submit IP Ranges as it's less secure, any techie with a brain knows that the most basic firewall setup with only allowing x, y and z ip's is the absolute most secure way of doing things.

That said; if it's that important you business should pay for a second internet connection.

For how often your IP *may* change; an email with a new IP to the Sysadmin will take about 5mins to sort out.

Please use plain text.
Fix-a-Lot
legacy1

[ Edited ]

itsadam wrote:

As a quick reply here; My IP hasn't changed once since joining Virgin Media; so I don't think the lease time expires ever :smileywink: I wouldn't worry about not having a static IP.

And it may never change unless you want it to given VM setup for secure WAN IP so unless you change the MAC or hub or both your likely to get the same WAN IP but thats no guarantee that it can't change.

itsadam wrote:

@legacy1  They will want him to have a static IP for security reasons, it's a generally accepted policy; people don't like to submit IP Ranges as it's less secure, any techie with a brain knows that the most basic firewall setup with only allowing x, y and z ip's is the absolute most secure way of doing things.

Means nothing if you can't do anything about which is what VPN are for or the other way is to have a DNS name that maps to your IP for allowing list on lookup but if what your connecting too is not that secure in the first place should you not want anyone else connecting to it use a VPN with a long password.

------------------Die-hard direct connection modem user :smileytongue:
Believing is catch 22 the VMDG280 should never of been made the Super hubs 1 & 2 could have been built better the years go by and we can't see the mistakes that were made to make things right.
The more that use modem mode the more we need IPv6: Pingtest, BQM, Speed Test, Outgoing ports test
Please use plain text.