on 05-01-2012 19:28
Following on from my post yesterday about **bleep**/fluctuating speeds after upgrade. Been reading about similar problems on this site & came across a response by "John_Hag" to someone having similar issues.
Quote - "We have seen Kaspersky and Avast! interfering with speeds so, if you are using either, please disable it when speed testing. Please also check that the power supply is 12Vac, 1.5A."
When the "engineer" was here (using this term lightly - box swapper might be more apt as engineer assumes a certain level of technical ability!) I specifically asked him to change the PSU rather than leave the existing. After reading the post I've just had a look - lo & behold, he's left the original one in that was fitted with the Ambit Modem 6 years ago. It is 10V 1.2 Amp.
Can anyone advise? Could this be the cause of my problems?
on 05-01-2012 19:45
on 05-01-2012 19:59
Thanks. Rather annoying when I stood there & asked him to change it - not impressed. It is rather warm, I'll try & get hold of another before the Dining Room curtains catch!
on 05-01-2012 20:44
Well that was a waste of time. I'm about ready to take a sledgehammer to the "super" hub. I've called 150. After going through a multitude of options I finally got someone in a faraway land that couldn't understand I WANT A NEW POWER SUPPLY. Then put on hold for a further 10 minutes for someone in the 100 meg team - also in a land far far away with only a loose understanding of the english language. How the hell do I get to speak to someone in the UK?
The upshot is someone at the far side of the planet has told me they can't send out another PSU on its own & I'll have to have another installation arranged for a replacement hub because the "engineer" didnt do his job properly & plug in the one that was in the box. This has got to be **bleep**.
on 05-01-2012 20:50
on 06-01-2012 00:34
on 06-01-2012 14:12
Speed sometimes looks OK when running tests now but it is simply completely unstable. One test 90 Meg next test 40 Meg yesterday (on speedtest.net, namesco server london) Prior to upgrade could reliably download TV & films on P2P very quickly. Tried the same last night & my upload was 4 times as fast as my download!
So it seems if I run a speed test it may briefly show that I am getting good speeds. However trying to download anything & it's a different story. Something is wrong.
After last nights contact with VM WORLDWIDE & getting nowhere - it'll be easier to source a new PSU myself because I cannot cope with the mental pain of another call to them on 150.
on 06-01-2012 15:34
on 06-01-2012 19:05
Yeah finally got someone in the UK. As is stated elsewhere in this forum, VM won't send out a replacement PSU on its own. I'll get a new Superhub in 3-5 working days. A bit gutted that the local depot won't drop one off but I've argued as much as I can & will just have to wait.
In the meantime I've replaced the PSU with a suitably rated 12V DC one to try. For my own piece of mind I tested the old supply with a calibrated Fluke meter & found that it was actually putting out 15.6V DC - not the 10VDC stated on the label. Not sure what the tolerance would be.
So far appears to be a lot more consistent. I've seen 6 consecutive tests to the London namesco server returning ping times between 35 & 40 ms & download speeds of 98 to 103 Mbps. I'll try & download some decent size files to see how things average out & will install the replacement as soon as it arrives.
on 07-01-2012 11:55