Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
Igzilla

Re: tivo lip sync issues

We've just upgraded to Tivo two days ago - what a mistake that was! Lip synching is atrocious across every single channel - the sound drifts away from the pictures after only a few seconds. Have tried following the steps elsewhere on the forums but this has absolutely no effect. As far as I can tell, it is typical VM attitude of "we've got your m oney and we don't give a **bleep**."

In case a mod is reading this, this has nothing to do with HD or 5.1 - that's complete BS. We have this issue on EVERY channel, through a HDMI cable direct from the Tivo box to the TV. In fact, what seems to happen is:

1. We turn on the TV (say BBC1, which I'm watching as we speak)

2: After a few seconds the sound starts to drift

3. About a minute or two after, the sound goes fuzzy and distorted (as if there was atmospheric interference like you used to get on the old TV aerials!)

4: Sound is back in sync. Wait ten minutes. GOTO Step 2...repeat

I'm paying good money for this - they must have seen me coming. I'm really tempted to dust off an old pc, install Mythbuntu, hitch up to Freeview and stick two fingers up to VM forever. I'd even consider reactivating our BT line. if they've known about this for months, they should have pulled their finger out and done something about it. But no - too busy counting their loot. As far as I'm concerned they've sold me something that's not fit for purpose. I'm fed up of being treated like an idiot by these faceless companies who think they can get away serving me up substandard services and junk products. Time for OFCOM maybe...?

Please use plain text.
Crafty
buckmp

I've just started getting it, noticed on a recording from Discovery HD last night then checked ITV HD and it was shocking, although other channels seemed ok..  Have to say, TIVO has been dissapointing since we upgraded.  I'm wondering if if the HD channels are unwatchbale we can use that as a reason that VM are supplying an usable product!? if so i'll go back to using my samsung V+ box which i never had a problem with, and I may say, produces a better picture aswell!

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
gsteruk

just something that seems to have helped me - change from dolby digital to dolby to pcm.  i know this isnt ideal - especially if u have kit to make the most of dolby, but for myself i just output to a tv - no amp. i too was gettin a lot of HD lip sync probs, but after changing to pcm.....all better :-)

Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
CarpathianUK

I got my Tivo installed on Wednesday and had been having all sorts of sound sync issues when watching HD channels or on recordings from them. I just came to post the same thing having just accidentally chanced on it but you just beat me to it!

I too found that switching the audio from "Dolby Digital" to "MPEG1" via the audio options in the info bar has got it back in sync every time AND also corrects the volume difference some of the HD channels have.

I know it's not a fix (Virgin have that to get their heads around & fast!) but it saves the issue in the meantime while they do. More a temporary workround than a fix but definitely works all the same.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
WhippetVFR

[ Edited ]

I've noticed lip sync problems too, hope Virgin sort it.

Mind you, overall happy with the ability for TV on demand and series links that the Tivo gives.  So, it's good but could be better.

Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
kmufc77

[ Edited ]

I see this is still an ongoing issue for many Tivo Users.

I had Tivo from DEC 2011 till April 2012, i got sicked to death with the constant Out of sync with channels, in particular ITV 1HD.

I also had bad picture quality which is also heavily featured on these forums with all channel 5 channels, VM said on a number of times that ITV and Channel 5 were to blame for these faults??

I have since cancelled my Tivo contract and bought a couple of Hummax Freesat boxes.

I can tell Tivo users that i have no lip sync issues now with ITV 1HD and no poor pictures with any channels at all.

This is with 2 seperate TV setups the same TVs that VM said could be causing the lip sync issues lol.

I also have a lip sync option to adjust, if needed that is built into the Hummax boxes, why hasnt the Tivo box got this? as the Tivo is meant to be the best Digital box for its options, yet they leave out a cricital option on there menus?

I feel sorry for any Tivo users that are still having these issues and its quite clear these problems are VM and not the broadcasters. I still cant believe the lip sync still hasn't been fixed, what is it now, 8 months or so when first reported with no fix confirmed?

The Tivo box is not fit for commercial use and VM need to be honest with there Tivo customers instead lieing to there customers.

I expect this post to be deleted, i just think its fair to let ppl know that the lip sync fault is 100% Tivo and not there TV system setup, my case has proven this.

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
zilch

Which is all rather odd as I have never experienced any problems with lip sync or picture quality so the issue cannot be nationwide.
Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
zeke

CarpathianUK wrote:

I too found that switching the audio from "Dolby Digital" to "MPEG1" via the audio options in the info bar has got it back in sync every time AND also corrects the volume difference some of the HD channels have.

I know it's not a fix (Virgin have that to get their heads around & fast!) but it saves the issue in the meantime while they do. More a temporary workround than a fix but definitely works all the same.

Such a simple yet effective fix, can't believe I missed it!

This doesn't excuse either VM or the channel providers broadcasting the main audio out of sync though.  Absolutely no point in having 5.1 sound if it's out by any more than 50ms.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Samsung LE32C530, Virgin Media TiVo, Acer Revo R3610 HTPC 4TB, Xbox 360 Halo Slim, Sony PS2HDD, Sony STR-DE595 Home Cinema Amp
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
StevieT

I have the same problem with HD chanels on my new Tivo box, in particular witrh BBC 1 HD. Everything was fine (and still is) with my old V+ box, so it has to be the Tivo box (not rocket science!).

Checking on the forum (1st time for me) this appears to be a well known problem, yet the engineer did not mention it. I did find a suggested fix as follows:

From home Screen go to Help and Settings >> Audio>> Dolby Digital>>

Here change the settings from Dolby Digital to PCM

This fix worked for me (even though I have no idea what PCM is!), the sound is now in synch and seems fine. What annoys me most, is that if this is such a well known problem (and indeed solution in my case), why did the engineer not look for and resolve the issue during installation!!!!  Perhaps no-one told him about it!

Good Luck  with finding a fix, hope VM fulfill their promise "to find a solution"!

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
blumoonhasrisen

Thank you to the person who made the suggestion of putting the TV into Game Mode, it actually works. Most channels on my TV had major issues with the lip sync being well out since putting my Samsung TV into Game Mode they are 100% perfect. :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.