Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
One to Watch
Jedra7609

Re: tivo lip sync issues

bigfergie wrote:
I also have random lip sync issues on various channels, but let me make this clear, it is not specific to VM or TiVo. I also have freesat and freeview and the lip sync issues are as bad on these platforms. I have just returned from my in laws who have sky, and I have seen it for myself on various channels on sky+ hd box. From what I can see, it's pretty obvious that all platforms suffer from this to some degree, so those of you leaving VM over this issue are going to be disappointed.

Regards

I have a Humax FreeSat HD box running through the same HDMI switch into the same TV and the lipsync issues are nothing like what they are on the TIVO.  On the FreeSat box, there are occaisional problems with ITV HD, but it's only just out of sync when there are problems.  With the TIVO box there are issues all of the time with every HD channel and the sync is way out.

I also had a SKY HD box for a number of years and the sync was nowhere near as bad as with the TIVO box and besides it had an option in the settings to work around syncing issues.

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
bigfergie

Your welcome Mick.
Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
bigfergie

It's not really a fair comparison as there are very few hd channels on freesat to compare to virgin, I have a panasonic freesat hd box and at times the lip sync on many chanels is way out, so it's possible that the brand of equipment is also a factor.

Regards
Please use plain text.
Crafty
wattsy

I had Sky for years connected to an AV Amp via an optical cable and it had similar problems to be fair. But the Sky box allowed you to adjust the delay to compensate which was a way around it (you can do it on AV amps, I know, but my own Denon amp is a royal pain in the butt to alter) and I was surprised to find that this was not an option on Tivo. This would be a good feature to add into future software updates IMO.

Cheers

Pete

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Johnerz

BigFergie,

I have left Virgin over this issue and the poor response I recieved. I am not dissapointed with my new service provider and i have not seen any further lipsync issues despite the new box being set up in the same place to the same TV etc. The issue suffered by TiVO customers issue is a TiVO only problem as the severity of the lip sync issue in some cases makes channels unwatchable. Before leaving Virgin I checked forums of other service providers and this is not an issue as it is with the TiVO. Check for yourself. This is simply not acceptable (please read my previous posts in this thread regardnig my experiences with this issue) 

I was sad to leave Virgin Media but I lost patience and was not willing to continue paying £100 per month for a package that was not working. If I am paying money for a service I expect it to work as advertised, we should not simply accept poor standard when there has been no form of compansation discussed, no updates etc. 

Very dissapointing as the TiVO service could have been good if Virgin took more time to work with/develop the software.

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
drummerbod

ITV is unwatchable! Horrendous lipsync. Audio is way behind video by about 160-200ms.

Haven't noticed any issues with the other HD channels yet.

Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
grizgut

Can I have this logged as a fault on my account as well please? ITV HD is unwatchable as the audio is so far behind the video. Reboots make no difference at all, I have yo watch the SD channels which makes HD pointless!

Any update on a fix?

As I understand it AV receivers allow an audio delay but this will only make this fault worse?

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
bigfergie

Johnerz I don't need to check other forums to see this problem, as I can see it first hand on my own tv, how can it be specific to TiVo if I can see it on freeview and freesat on my own tv, it also existed on my vhd box prior to upgrading to TiVo, and I witnessed it on sky on various channels on Sunday. I made a point of checking all my channels this morning on all platforms, and they are all perfect except channel 5 which is slightly out on TiVo, freesat and freeview, so as well being a problem on all services, it is also intermittent. Regards
Please use plain text.
Boffin
greybeard

There is threads on lip sync. issues in satellite forums, particularly on ITV HD. Here is one thread.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Johnerz

Bigfergie if you check the forums you will see that the scale of the problem with Virgin TiVO customers is huge and appears to be growing( or maybe more people are just loosing patience). you maybe one of the lucky ones that only has a minor issue, I had it a little on the V+ box but it wasn't a frequent problem and it didnt make the programme unwatchable, when I upgraded to TiVO, I would turn on to regularly see audio approximately 2-3 seconds out (approx)on some channels making the programme unwatchable. This was far worse than any lip sync issues I saw on Sky, the V+ or Freeview, to be honest I didn't see many issues with others, and I have not had any so far since leaving. If your happy, then great, but lots of people are not and Virgin are not doing anything about it, other than saying they are looking into it. The first engineer that came to help asked me to monitor the channels for a week, I did it and gave him a list. When the third engineer came round he asked similar questions, I asked what was done with the list of channels and info I provided (2 months before), he said "err nothing, mate" before saying it's a problem with their head unit in Luton (he explained to me that basically, this head unit sends the signals out to the local area controls) and they will "look into it". Virgin do not appear to be taking this seriously which is clearly fuelling more and more replies on this thread. I am monitoring because when/if it gets sorted and improvements are made to TiVO I may come back, if the price is right. i didn't really want to leave. The comment on here from the Virgin staff saying its a national problem not just for Virgin says it all for me. No matter who is effected they should be doing everything possible to communicate with virgin customers and actually resolve the issue.
Please use plain text.