Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
The Sorter
Mr_K

iPlayer fault - response from BBC

[ Edited ]

Due to iPlayer reguarly cutting off the end on programmes on VM's TiVo, I raised the matter with the BBC.  VM have been lacking in their response and have implied its the Beebs fault. 

The BBC response is below.  It doesn't inspire confidence, they don't appear to be aware of the issue at all. They say  'there are no issues from our end'.  Please could someone at VM liaise with them otherwise it will never be sorted.  Suggest people keep reporting instances when this happens to:-  

https://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/templates/bbciplayer/emailForms/emailPage

Dear Mr ************

Reference CAS-1390509-GL5HJW

Thank you for contacting the BBC iPlayer support team.

I understand you’re experiencing problems whilst streaming programmes via Virgin Media's TiVo box as they are truncated at the end.

As per our development team’s request could you please get back with the specific programme name so that we can investigate further as there are no issues from our end.

Meantime, we would recommend that you turn all equipment off at the wall and restart it to resolve the issue.

In addition, I do understand you that you feel very strongly about this issue, so I’d like to assure you that I’ve fully registered your concerns. This will be included on feedback reports that are available to personnel responsible for maintaining and improving the BBC iPlayer service.

These reports are viewed as important documents that can help shape decisions on future aspects of BBC iPlayer.

Once again thank you for contacting BBC iPlayer.

Kind Regards

BBC Audience Services

Please use plain text.
The Sorter
chops

Re: iPlayer fault - response from BBC

[ Edited ]

Interesting reply for it does seem as if it's the first time they've been made aware of the problem.

Is it purely a VM and TiVo specific problem then and BBC are not to blame ......

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
Jimbode

I have also raised this issue with the BBC and shall report back here when I get a response.

Virgin TiVo, LG 42" LED, Yamaha home theatre, Humax 9200T, Sony PS3
Please use plain text.
DT3
Bright Spark
DT3

I had a reply from the BBC. I said that since the iplayer on Virgin Media's Tivo has come direct from the internet instead of from the Virgin Media's own servers that the quality of picture is poorer particulary HD and that using the fast forward and rewind is rubbish having little control, with no picture as you move along, making a guess where you are.  It is inferior to the iplayer from the Virgin servers. Reply was --

Thank you for contacting the BBC iPlayer Support Team.

I understand that you feel that the quality of BBC iPlayer on Virgin Media Tivo boxes has reduced since a change to BBC iPlayer.

The service is relatively new and we appreciate user feedback. If there are any particularly bad examples please get back to us with specific programme information and we will investigate further.

If we identify a trend from feedback received, when we feel it can help others, we’ll update our help site accordingly, but unfortunately we do not offer a service for individual technical issues or for queries that are not directly related to BBC iPlayer support.

In such cases you may wish to know that there are external message boards that discuss everything BBC iPlayer related. Details can be found at:

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/using_bbc_iplayer/_messageboards

Please note that the BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.

We do appreciate the time taken to submit your enquiry as all feedback received helps us to develop and improve the service.

Once again, thank you for contacting us.

Kind Regards

Andrew Gilfillan

BBC Audience Services

Please use plain text.
The Sorter
chops

That reply is somewhat garbled, almost as if it's a few standard sentences strung together rather than addressing and acknowledging the general problem.
Please use plain text.
DT3
Bright Spark
DT3

Yes, chops, it seems incomprehensible.  I was generally criticising about the iplayer used by VM Tivo not giving a specific programme that was not working right. 

Please use plain text.
The Sorter
chops

Maybe worth bouncing it back to them asking for a coherent answer.
Please use plain text.
Good to Know
MattF

Having brushed against BBC IT projects in my professional life they always seem to involve 10 times as many people as needed and none of those people seem aware of what the others should be doing or what they are responsible for. I dont hold out much hope that this will be resolved anytime soon.

Please use plain text.
Boffin
WayneC

Mr_K wrote:

Due to iPlayer reguarly cutting off the end on programmes on VM's TiVo, I raised the matter with the BBC.  VM have been lacking in their response and have implied its the Beebs fault. 

The BBC response is below.  It doesn't inspire confidence, they don't appear to be aware of the issue at all. They say  'there are no issues from our end'.  Please could someone at VM liaise with them otherwise it will never be sorted.  Suggest people keep reporting instances when this happens to:-  

https://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/templates/bbciplayer/emailForms/emailPage

Thank you for contacting the BBC iPlayer support team.

I understand you’re experiencing problems whilst streaming programmes via Virgin Media's TiVo box as they are truncated at the end.

These reports are viewed as important documents that can help shape decisions on future aspects of BBC iPlayer.

Once again thank you for contacting BBC iPlayer.

Kind Regards

BBC Audience Services

Good post Mr K (kudoed). So it does seem worth contacting the BBC if we want the iPlayer improving, or they'll think we're all happy...

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
UnHappyBunny999

I've just reported my faults too ....
Please use plain text.