Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Crafty
Manj75

Virgin Media Player vs Sky Go for Tivo on the Go

I was one of the early adoptors of Tivo signing into a 1TB Tivo on the marketing claims that customers will be able to watch recordings on the go, i.e. I recall VM saying something like a partially watched recording could be resumed online PC/tablet/mobile.  It is clear this is an overpromise that VM has underdelivered.

When looking at Virgin Media Player (VMP) it allows watching of TV programmes, i.e. TV Choice, Catchup TV and On Demand, depending on the subscription.  I understand that if I watch programmes online on a PC there is no added cost, but when on the go using VMP on the moblie carries a cost of a Player Pass for 3G.  I simply do not understand why I should have to pay for this priviledge if I subscribe to XL package and a Tivo system that is meant to 'eventually' provide TV anywhere.  The data usage is as allocated by my mobile provider so this PlayerPass cost is simply to access the VMP content if not on Virign Mobile.

Why can't VM think out of the box and start to compete with the likes of Sky properly.  In comparison Sky Go is a much better offering.  Firstly, if you subscribe to Sky then you are able to access Sky Go and content at no extra cost other then on 3G it will use you data and may cost if you exceed mobile package allocation.  Secondly, using Sky Go you are also able to watch live TV for channels that are in your Sky subscription and supported on Sky Go - this is truly TV anywhere, and is what VM promised in their marketing.

Suggestions to VM:

1) Remove the added Virgin Media Player PlayerPass cost when using mobile 3G

2) Why on earth are we not able to watch live TV through VMP already - if Sky can do it why can't VM

3) Make the VMP an elegant app for tablets and smartphones - Sky Go may not be perfect but is pretty good

There is a Virgin TV Guide and Virgin Media Player app available for Android but why separate them

On your website there is no mention of Android apps being available as you refer to going to'my.virginmedia.com/player in your mobile web browser' - not promoting the apps available

Live TV integration in to the VMP is a must

I know VM have been working on the iPad/iPhone app but I understand this will not allow Live TV

4) Simply look at what Sky has achieved with Sky Go - you should've had this FIRST!

Overall, my main gripe, which VM can immediately change if they want, is point 1) - unless you can justify the added PlayerPass cost, other than as I see it being just profit.  Viring Media really need to step up their game in this area of Media anywhere, which is what customers want.  They've had a head start in this race with Tivo when it came out, but are losing pace against Sky and other parties.

Would love to read your thoughts on this.

Please use plain text.
The Sorter
Tavis75

Re: Virgin Media Player vs Sky Go for Tivo on the Go

[ Edited ]

Viring Media really need to step up their game in this area of Media anywhere, which is what customers want.  

Would love to read your thoughts on this.

No, it's what you want, I couldn't care less about it, and I would assume that is the majority view. I've got no interest in watching a jerky, pixelated image due to streaming over 3G, on a tiny screen!

Please use plain text.
Wizard
glenn4009

No, it's what you want, I couldn't care less about it, and I would assume that is the majority view. I've got no interest in watching a jerky, pixelated image due to streaming over 3G, on a tiny screen!

The firgures for sky go would say otherwise... Lots of people watching on tablets and smartphones...
Please use plain text.
Crafty
Manj75

The key benefit is that in a household individuals can access content freely for which the account holder has subscribed to.  Consider the following example:

Wife: watching a recording on the main Tivo 1

Child 1: watching Power Rangers live on Disney XD on Tivo 2

Child 2: Able to watch Bob the Builder from TV Choice ondemand on iPad via WiFi

Me: stuck on the train back from work can watch recordings/ondemand/catchupTV/liveTV(if made available) on my 4.8" screen smartphone or tablet over 3G

This is the future now and is what Tivo is capable of in the US.  In the US they have announced 2 new devices to stream the content to other Tivo boxes in the house and to stream to devices on the Go.  This is similiar to what Slingbox offer.

I'm sure many people would use this if it was available with smooth user experience.

Please use plain text.
The Sorter
Gordy1965

It would be a good idea but the content providers have to agree first, without that VM are knackered.

Please use plain text.
Crafty
Manj75

The issue with content providers agreeing is more to do with allowing recorded programmes to be streamed to other devices, and I understand this is an ongoing issue, which I hope VM are actively working on.

We still can have a better VMP which allows watching of live TV that is in the package we subscribed to, in addition to what VMP can access today (TV Choice/CatchupTV/OnDemand).  This is exactly what Sky Go offers.

Futhermore, I'd like to see the VMP Player Pass cost removed as I don't see the reason behind this charge. Again, on Sky Go you get the app on your smartphone/tablet and signin and you have access to the subscribed content at no extra cost as long as you are using WiFi or mobile allocated data.

Would be good to hear from Virgin Media Forum Team too.

Please use plain text.
The Sorter
Gordy1965

Would be good to hear from Virgin Media Forum Team too.

2 chances..........both ending in "all"

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
keeop

Have you even tried it? I had Sky Go streaming to my iPhone and it was seamless. On the other hand, I try and watch iPlayer at home on my Tivo and the thing is more stuttery than Arkwright from Open All Hours. Sky Go is a damned good selling point for Sky. The number of days I wasted at work watching cricket at full resolution on my iPhone............

I'm sorry, but this is another area where VM are way behind in the TV arena.

Cheers.

Keeop

Please use plain text.
Usually Always Right
sjp123

just don't mention Sky Go to android v4 - ICS owners :smileyhappy: seems Sky haven't quite got round to updating it yet.

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
keeop

You need to get yourself a real phone :smileywink:

Cheers.

Keeop

Please use plain text.