Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Brainbox
WeeClare

Very noisy TiVo box

I have a very noisy TiVo box again. I have had it replaced twice and seems to be getting worse. It used to tick away mostly later in the evening but is the whole day now. It's a ticking vibrating noise that's obviously the hard drive. I have another one in my living room that's the same.
I had the series one TiVo since in came out and this was noisy through the night so I switched it off but was great throughout the day.
My first TiVo that I got in April was very quiet but only got noisy a few months later. This I can't understand.
Can anyone help? I switch it off at night as I can't sleep with the noise. I have checked if it's updating or anything but no just ticks away.
Any help would be great. Cheers Clare
Please use plain text.
Superuser
PrinterElf

Re: Very noisy TiVo box

Hi Clare,

That still sounds like a soon-to-be-dead HDD, potentially in both units. I'd suggest getting an engineer out again with some new boxes!

It will still be recording/caching through the night, but that should be no more noise than it makes in normal operation.

Loc: PR4 1, TV: XL+SkyHD, BB: 100Mbps
2x 1TB TiVo: {15.3.1.RC3-VMC-2-C00}
SuperHub: R37 {Modem mode}
I don't work for VM, and I don't plan to!
Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread (or if you're feeling brave, RTFM! :smileywink:)
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos + button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
Please use plain text.
Brainbox
sphinx

My TIVO box ticks away merrily and has done for about a month now.  At first I thought it was a problem with the box and posted as such on here, but other users have also said that they have the same ticking coming from their system too.  The sound from my box is low enough that I forget about it mostly.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
PrinterElf

I suppose it depends on your definition of 'tick' - the HDD in the box will be working the entire time the box is powered to buffer the actively tuned channels, and this is normal. The low-level and almost constant ticking/whirring will be the HDD heads moving around to read/write data to/from the disk.

If however it's a pronounced metalic clicking, heard intermittently over and above the normal noise of the HDD operation, then it's definitely a dud!

Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread (or if you're feeling brave, RTFM! :smileywink:)
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos + button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
zeke

Would be nice to disable channel buffering and allow the HDD to spin down when not being accessed and power if off, i.e. when no recordings are scheduled in standby.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Samsung LE32C530, Virgin Media TiVo, Acer Revo R3610 HTPC 4TB, Xbox 360 Halo Slim, Sony PS2HDD, Sony STR-DE595 Home Cinema Amp
Please use plain text.
cbc
Good to Know
cbc

zeke wrote:

Would be nice to disable channel buffering and allow the HDD to spin down when not being accessed and power if off, i.e. when no recordings are scheduled in standby.

You can get some rubber feet which you could use to stand the box on. This would dampen much of the noise.

Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
Phil_C

[ Edited ]

Perhaps I'm fortunate but I've never noticed any sounds other than the button press beeps. And before anyone suggests that my hearing is faulty, it is :smileyhappy: I've lost quite a bit of the treble end over the years and I use a hearing aid (occasionally two) when watching TV these days.

I suppose that the boxes could be made with different HDs. Some HDs can be quite noisy when the discs are spinning and the arms are moving, and some are very quiet.

Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
zeke

cbc wrote:

zeke wrote:

You can get some rubber feet which you could use to stand the box on. This would dampen much of the noise.

In my case the box is situated in a place where there are no vibrations and it runs very quietly, I was thinking more from a "preserve the life of the hard drive" stance.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Samsung LE32C530, Virgin Media TiVo, Acer Revo R3610 HTPC 4TB, Xbox 360 Halo Slim, Sony PS2HDD, Sony STR-DE595 Home Cinema Amp
Please use plain text.
Superuser
PrinterElf

zeke wrote:

In my case the box is situated in a place where there are no vibrations and it runs very quietly, I was thinking more from a "preserve the life of the hard drive" stance.

Most half-decent 1TB HDDs from 3 years ago came with an MTBF of ~500,000hrs, with 25,000 start-stop cycles, so I don't think HDD preservation is an issue.

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
carlgoss

Had a ticking Tivo replaced this week.. ahh the silence. Well until we get above 10% capacity when I am convinced it will start ticking again. Tivo.. a ticking time bomb. 

Meanwhile we can continue to enjoy the slow graphics, slow scrolling, slow jumpy menus, and the donut of death (not even jam filled!)

Updates are a thing of the past you know!

No seriously.. Tivo should be good, it's made by Cisco after all, and the US versions are I believe.. superb. So I hold out hope. It's just that it should never have been released in such a buggy format. The ideas are great, even though I'd like to kick Mr Tivo smoothy Mark Warren into the long grass. 'But what if this clever little box could actually record the right show without clipping the start or the end.. Wow now that's nice.. want some more?' At least they got rid of that awful 'full of herself' girl in the red dress at the start of the Tivo launch. She was truly sick inducing.

But then you've got to talk about something until the updates havent you? 

Tivo 1TB
100 Mbps (well 50 in truth)
V+
Please use plain text.