Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
Geoff395

Tivo Box to Surround Sound

Ok, really stuck on this one now.

I have connected an old Sony Surround sound system to the TV. It used to work fine through my old Sky box but doesn't through the Tivo box that i now have. I only have RCA inputs on the back of the Amp and not the Optical Audio imputs. I connected the TV direct to the Amp via red & white RCA leads from "Line Out" on the back of the TV to the "TV In" on the rear of the Amp and everything else works like PS2, DVD etc through the extra speakers. Is there a way to connect the Virgin box to the Amp so i can have the sound from the TV through the extra speakers?

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
m-o-r-g

Re: Tivo Box to Surround Sound

Geoff395 wrote:

Ok, really stuck on this one now.

I have connected an old Sony Surround sound system to the TV. It used to work fine through my old Sky box but doesn't through the Tivo box that i now have. I only have RCA inputs on the back of the Amp and not the Optical Audio imputs. I connected the TV direct to the Amp via red & white RCA leads from "Line Out" on the back of the TV to the "TV In" on the rear of the Amp and everything else works like PS2, DVD etc through the extra speakers. Is there a way to connect the Virgin box to the Amp so i can have the sound from the TV through the extra speakers?

Not knowing what sort of surround sound amp you have or TV, but presumably you have Tivo hooked up via HDMI? . . . does you surround sound amp have the ability to take HDMI and pass the TV signal through to the TV?

. . . also check under tivo settings for audio output, and play around with the settings see if that helps (can't remember the options?, and my tivo is at home)

Happy tivo'ing (if you can sort it :smileywink: )

Please use plain text.
Superuser
dannylau

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Geoff395

No, the Amp doesnt have HDMI facility, it is the old Sony AV Amp TA-VE110 system. Had a good old look on this and i think the only way is to connect an Opitcal Audio cable from the back of the Virgin Box to an

"Optical to phono RCA converter" then plug this via RCA leads into the Amp. Prob is the Optical to Phono converter is about £35 and even then i am not too sure if it works... the Tivo hooked up via HDMI to the TV..

Please use plain text.
Superuser
dannylau

Geoff395 wrote:

No, the Amp doesnt have HDMI facility, it is the old Sony AV Amp TA-VE110 system. Had a good old look on this and i think the only way is to connect an Opitcal Audio cable from the back of the Virgin Box to an

"Optical to phono RCA converter" then plug this via RCA leads into the Amp. Prob is the Optical to Phono converter is about £35 and even then i am not too sure if it works... the Tivo hooked up via HDMI to the TV..

or you could get what I posted at a cost of £1:50

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Geoff395

Where would i connect that from and to?

Please use plain text.
Superuser
dannylau

you plug it in the scart port on the tivo select "out" and plug your rca leads into the phono sockets

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Geoff395

Yes got it now.....many thanks for your help its been an experience lol

Please use plain text.