Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Making Waves
TimJP

Tivo Box Ethernet port / Virgin Media Player

I'd like to know the purpose of the Ethernet port on the Tivo box and the advantage if any of connecting it to the modem/router.

Also how can I see 'My Shows' recorded on my Tivo box when using Virgin Media Player on a PC. 

Please use plain text.
Usually Always Right
sjp123

Re: Tivo Box Ethernet port / Virgin Media Player

at the moment it allows wi-fi access to your TiVo from any wi-fi remote control app on any smartphone you may have.

it will have further uses when the much touted iPad app is released the autumn, word is an android app will be released next year.

Please use plain text.
Proof’s in the Pudding
mildenhall

[ Edited ]

sjp123 wrote:

at the moment it allows wi-fi access to your TiVo from any wi-fi remote control app on any smartphone you may have.

Technically that's not correct any more. Perhaps "Once upon a time it allowed wi-fi access to your TiVo from any wi-fi remote control app on any smartphone you had." With the 15.3 update they stopped all remote control apps from working.

Please use plain text.
Expert Opinionator
mike_gain

sjp123 wrote:

it will have further uses when the much touted iPad app is released the autumn, word is an android app will be released next year.

I would be surprised if the iPad app made a connection via the ethernet port (which would be connected to the router). This was the connection method that VM were not keep on at all. It is more likely the iPad app will connect to the VM servers which will in turn comminucate to the box via the built in modem.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
PrinterElf

mildenhall wrote:

sjp123 wrote:

Technically that's not correct any more. Perhaps "Once upon a time it allowed wi-fi access to your TiVo from any wi-fi remote control app on any smartphone you had." With the 15.3 update they stopped all remote control apps from working.

Technically that's not correct either :smileywink:
The TiVo Commander-esque apps don't work anymore, however the basic HTTP remote control apss, RCX for TiVo as an example, do still work.

Loc: PR4 1, TV: XL+SkyHD, BB: 100Mbps
2x 1TB TiVo: {15.3.1.RC3-VMC-2-C00}
SuperHub: R37 {Modem mode}
I don't work for VM, and I don't plan to!
Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread (or if you're feeling brave, RTFM! :smileywink:)
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos + button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
Please use plain text.
Usually Always Right
sjp123

mike_gain wrote:

sjp123 wrote:

I would be surprised if the iPad app made a connection via the ethernet port (which would be connected to the router). This was the connection method that VM were not keep on at all. It is more likely the iPad app will connect to the VM servers which will in turn comminucate to the box via the built in modem.

even the "manage your TiVo while watching a recording" features?

Please use plain text.
Expert Opinionator
mike_gain

sjp123 wrote:

mike_gain wrote:

sjp123 wrote:

even the "manage your TiVo while watching a recording" features?

Yes.

Please use plain text.
Proof’s in the Pudding
mildenhall

PrinterElf wrote:

Technically that's not correct either :smileywink:
The TiVo Commander-esque apps don't work anymore, however the basic HTTP remote control apss, RCX for TiVo as an example, do still work.

Oh, cool! I hadn't realised that!

Please use plain text.
Boffin
passingbat

TimJP wrote:

I'd like to know the purpose of the Ethernet port on the Tivo box and the advantage if any of connecting it to the modem/router.

Also how can I see 'My Shows' recorded on my Tivo box when using Virgin Media Player on a PC. 

Well, if you have two Tivos, you can connect them both to your router and you can delete shows from box using the other, but you can't stream them from one box to another. Tivo to Tivo treaming is planned at some stage and at one time it was assumed that a router connection to both Tivos was required and VM were working on a foolproof way to do that. Some people are wondering if that is actually the way that it will be done now. Personally, I don't care how it's done, I'd just like it ASAP ----- they've been talking about it for long enough!

Please use plain text.