Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Brainbox
WarrenR
Helpful Answer

TiVo on your Laptop

I am new to the forum, I have just joined today,

I have read somewhere that if your TiVo Box is on the same network as your laptop then you can watch recorded

Programs, from your box, on your LapTop but I cannot find anywhere where it tells you how to do set up your PC to do this. I am sure that this must be a common query and someone can direct me to the relevant instructions on the Virginmedia help site. This is not the same as Virgin TV Anywhere, which I have read is coming in the Autumn, but Virgin Upstairs or Virgin Other Room.,

Please use plain text.
Boffin
passingbat

Re: TiVo on your Laptop

WarrenRose wrote:

I am new to the forum, I have just joined today,

I have read somewhere that if your TiVo Box is on the same network as your laptop then you can watch recorded

Programs, from your box, on your LapTop

You can't do that ATM, and I suspect it will be a long time before you can, due to paranoid content providers.

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
WarrenR

If from the Home Menu on your TiVo box you select, Home & Settings then Settings then Network Remote Control sub-menus and finally select the Allow network-based remote controls the text above indicates the following:-

You can allow computers and mobile device that are connected to your home network to access and control this TiVo box. These devices may provide remote control functionality, allow you to schedule or cancel upcoming programmes , or play and delete your recordings. Visit virginmedia.com/help/tivo for more info. You will still need to authorise each device individually by entering your Media Accesss Key into a Virgin Media app on the device.

Maybe I have misunderstood the above and the laptop only replaces the remote control and the play option still refers to the output being displayed on your TV and not Laptop screen. It still would be useful to find out how to do this as well.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

[ Edited ]

WarrenRose wrote: 

Maybe I have misunderstood the above and the laptop only replaces the remote control and the play option still refers to the output being displayed on your TV and not Laptop screen. It still would be useful to find out how to do this as well.

Although there is the option on the TiVo box, Virgin Media haven't yet launched any companion apps for other devices. However this is going to change in the near future

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
Brainbox
WarrenR

Thanks, that may explain why I cannot find any help on the matter. Is there a date when these apps will be released?

I found the following instructions via

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=351820&CURRENT...

Remote Record on your computer

If you want to go online to set a recording, this is how you do it:
1. Go to
virginmedia.com/tvguide and sign in to your account.
2. Check that the region and package displayed is the right one for you. If you're not sure of your region, click
here to see a map. Once you have selected your region, package and premium add-ons, they should be automatically pre-selected next time you visit.
3. Use search to find your favourite show, movie, actor or director or browse the TV listings guide by category, channel, favourites or date & time.
4. Click the programme name of your selected show to view the programme information screen then you will see your recording options. If the programme is part of a series you will have the option to record the whole episode or the whole series with a simple click of the mouse.
5. If the programme starts in 35 minutes or more you will see an option to record the programme, your TiVo box does need to be switched on to receive the record request.
6. Wait for the message that tells you whether the recording was sent successfully.

but when I followed the above to try and record a test program my laptop indicated it had been set but the program was not recorded on the TiVo box. I think that I first need to authorise my laptop, by entering the TiVo box’s Media Access Key, but not sure where you do this.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
PrinterElf

Hi WarrenRose,

You don't need to enter your MAK anywhere if you're using the web-based TV guide.

What programme did you pick to record, and at what time did you submit the recording request?

Loc: PR4 1, TV: XL+SkyHD, BB: 100Mbps
2x 1TB TiVo: {15.3.1.RC3-VMC-2-C00}
SuperHub: R37 {Modem mode}
I don't work for VM, and I don't plan to!
Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread (or if you're feeling brave, RTFM! :smileywink:)
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos + button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
Please use plain text.
Brainbox
WarrenR

PrinterElf

Thanks for the reply; I am not sure whether or not I was using the web-based TV Guide as I just clicked on step 2, of the above instructions, and continued from there.

It was about 6pm yesterday evening, as I was watching the BBC news, and the test program I requested to record was University Challenge on BBC 2 at 8pm, later that evening. The success message, I received, indicated that it could take up to 35 minutes before the required Record message would be received and processed by the TiVo box.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
PrinterElf

If you signed in to your Virgin account through the web browser then you used the Web-based TV guide.

Have you had an entry in the Recording Hiccups log as to why it wasn't recorded?

Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread (or if you're feeling brave, RTFM! :smileywink:)
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos + button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
Please use plain text.
Brainbox
WarrenR

PrinterElf

When you refer to the Web-based TV guide I presume you mean http://virginmedia.com/tvguide . There was no request to sign in, only to check that the correct region and package was displayed, as there was also an option to sign out I assumed that I was already signed in.

Prior to the time of the program I checked My Planned Recordings and could not find the requested program. I have just looked at all the entries in Recording Hiccups and there is no sign of the program either. Anyway I have tried again, this time alllowing more time for the message to be passed to the TiVo box, as I have tried to record Pointless, on BBC1 at 17:15pm this evening, via my Laptop and I will let you later today whether or not I was successful.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
PrinterElf

Yup, that's the one.

Hopefully it will behave itself.

Please use plain text.