Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
stvg

TV Guide hanging causing Tivo to freeze

I had my Tivo box installed today.As much as I would like to be positive and not look for fault, I am frustrated rather than happy. Apart from the aspect ratio problems reported elsewhere I have immediately found a more annoying problem related to the EPG. 

On 3 occasions I have chosen one of the subsections such as 'Movies' or Sport' from the Home menu, and then used the blue button, positioned in the bottom half of the subsection of the guide, to get to the main channel list or another subsection, at which point, every time, the box has hanged every time, and the only option I have had is to reboot each time. The TV channel has continued to play in the top right corner. This does not happen if you use the programme guide without using the blue button as option. 

I have phoned VM, and was told that this has not been reported before. The installer returned to check my box and the signal, which he said was good.

Has anyone else had the same problem? Are the technical bods aware of this?

I also find the recording options,and in particular the series link options, tedious and anything but intuitive. Series link, even when requested to record only new programmes, seems set to record the same programme as many times as it appears on TV in the next few weeks, and not just at the time I would like it to record. Has anyone got any advice for me about how to stop this?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Boffin
Doudar

Re: TV Guide hanging causing Tivo to freeze

Taken from NickO's Welcome to Tivo stickey.

"When the TiVo service freezes on the EPG try the following key combination to refresh the EPG: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down, Play, Play."

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/Welcome-to-the-TiVo-forum/td-p/458723

Did it once to me yesterday and this fixed it.

JohnD

Please use plain text.
stvg

Thanks for that. I will try that.

And after 2 days I am beginning to really like the box, and have had no problems with recordings. I have programmed my Tivo remote to work my TV and the receiver, beginning to get pretty good suggestions, and no missed recordings.

So for all of you having doubts stick with it!

Please use plain text.
stvg

Hmmmm.

I tried the 'thumbs up and down, play, play shuffle' when the guide, using the blue botton as a link to other guide sections, again caused the whole box to hang, without success....

This effectively means I cannot use the guide the way it is inteneded, which is a rather basic function, I am sure VM will agree. I will be patient - I have another 25 days to return the Tivo if I want to, but I am starting to get attached... however these bugs really need to be fixed - and quickly

Please use plain text.
andycamb

Hi I have recently got the new Tivo box and the only issue I have had so far is this freeze problem, where if I go the guide page and then use the blue button to change to favourites,it then freezes and none of the buttons work..I found out that if I left it for 10 minutes it wouls sort itself out. I then found out by experiment, that if I  used the ok button to call up the mini guide, then used the blue button to change to favourites view in that screen, I could then call up the main guide and everything worked properly???

I am assuming that this is some sort of minor software glitch and a futeure update will sort this out..

Has anyone else experienced this minor fault??

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
srfish05

I don't think this has been fixed yet unless andycamb & stgv have had it fixed. I got my Tivo box a week ago and it has frozen 5 consequtive days. I press the guide button then the blue button then choose one of the sub option and press ok. This is when it freezes and can't do anything. This only happens intermittently. However, I have noticed that it happens more when the Tivo box is recording. How did VM solve your issue?

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
cgiscripts4u

We've had the Tivo for just over the week and the like srfish05 we're suffering with the EPG freezing when using the blue button.
Please use plain text.