Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Crafty
barc0de

Streaming from a PC or DLNA Media Server app

Is there any news on a TIVO app for this? This would save me a lot messing about with my XBOX.

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
hologram1211

Re: Streaming from a PC or DLNA Media Server app

I just discovered by chance that my NetGear ReadyNAS has "Tivo streaming support" as one of it's built in services.  I got all giddy with excitement as I enable the service and rushed hurriedly to my VM Tivo to try and find the menu option that would give me access to all my ready to stream films, series and music etc.  I'm crushed to find this facility is not supported in my VM Tivo, IMHO it would be a welcome addition to the "app list" far more interesting to me that facebook, twitter, youtube etc - that's what I've got pc/laptop/smartphones with proper keyboards for, but watching locally streamed media, that's what I'd like to use my telly for in the comfort of my sitting room.

Please could this be added in the next software update?  If the functionality exists in US Tivo's surely it's just a case of switching it on in the VM Tivo isn't it?

Please use plain text.
Superuser
dannylau

hologram1211 wrote:

I just discovered by chance that my NetGear ReadyNAS has "Tivo streaming support" as one of it's built in services.  I got all giddy with excitement as I enable the service and rushed hurriedly to my VM Tivo to try and find the menu option that would give me access to all my ready to stream films, series and music etc.  I'm crushed to find this facility is not supported in my VM Tivo, IMHO it would be a welcome addition to the "app list" far more interesting to me that facebook, twitter, youtube etc - that's what I've got pc/laptop/smartphones with proper keyboards for, but watching locally streamed media, that's what I'd like to use my telly for in the comfort of my sitting room.

Please could this be added in the next software update?  If the functionality exists in US Tivo's surely it's just a case of switching it on in the VM Tivo isn't it?

unfortunately it's not just a case of switching it on, the content providers have to agree to this and so far have not done so though negotiations are taking place

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
tankstage

[ Edited ]

dannylau, Streaming "To" the TiVo, how would virgin know who the content provider was ?
If this option was available, I could get rid of two media centre PC's as all they are used for is watching my collection of DVD's streamed from a server.

Please use plain text.
Wizard
phi11ip

Would love to see DLNA on the Tivo.

Please use plain text.
Padawan
jez1971

Because the feature is designed to be used for recordings made on other TiVos

tankstage wrote:

dannylau, Streaming "To" the TiVo, how would virgin know who the content provider was ?
If this option was available, I could get rid of two media centre PC's as all they are used for is watching my collection of DVD's streamed from a server.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
thesaint

I gather that your Tv is not dlna enabled then? if it was you could just stream all your content of your nas to it, as I do to my Samsung 8000, Alternatively do you have a PS3?.

Please use plain text.
Wizard
A2DY

Has an Xbox, says in OP
Please use plain text.
Expert Opinionator
mike_gain

hologram1211 wrote:

I've fairly sure that Netgear NAS products such as the ReadyNAS and the Stora only support streaming of your ripped/purchased/downloaded music and access to pictures. I don't beleive you can stream video content unless it has been archived to the NAS from a TiVO which rules out ripped MKVs. The idea being that you can use your NAS as an archive for content that you'd like to keep (or play on another box as any TiVO box in the house can access the NAS)

The is probably why we don't have access to this functionality (and the multi room streaming) as Virgin Meida have to keep to agreements with broadcasters and they are a bit bemused by all this technology. Bit of a shame, I'd love to use my existing setup (2 TB RAID NAS + 2 XBMC machines) with my TiVOs, seems the perfect combination.

Please use plain text.
Padawan
malbin

Why do content providers have to agree to DLNA streaming from a PC, This is a feature

that is available on every smart TV and they do not seem to have problems with providing

this feature?

Please use plain text.