Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Crafty
Manj75

Pair device with YouTube should be a Tivo feature

I think the YouTube Remote and ability to pair a mobile device with YouTube on Tivo is a great feature.  I know that this carries out the searches on the mobile and then the selected video can be played on Tivo.  I always thought that the searching feature on the Tivo YouTube was poor and slow using the rubbish on screen keyboard.

What I don't understand is why don't Tivo/VM take this feature and implement as a core feature, pairing of a mobile device to Tivo itself.  So, that the mobile device keyboard can be used to type on Tivo and other second screen features.  The issue I have is that many apps implement searching and keyboard entry in different ways, e.g. YouTube use the on-screen keyboard not the number keys on the Tivo remote, whereas on the Music On-Demand app you can use the number keys on the Tivo remote.  Surely, Tivo should/must enfore a unified UI and best practices for third parties to develop to. This is why Apple is so successful with their products.

Currenlty, with all the apps and the Tivo UIs there are many inconsistencies in giving the user the best experience.  Now, I may be speaking my mind too early here as the forthcoming iPad/iPhone apps may address this, but who knows.

Tivo/VM look at what Microsoft are pushing with their SmartGlass technology for the XBox.  Again this second screen experience is a must on Tivo and is something you should've had months ago.  You must invest in growing your Software Development Teams and continue to innovate at a much faster pace than you currently are.  If not you will simply miss the time to market and in that time errode your customers confidence in your product (you may have already started to do this).

Note, that many of the Tivo customers are tech savvy and therefore are here to help you make Tivo a great success.  You should involve us and put out announcements of what is forthcoming with realistic roadmaps and timings, rather than the silly 'coming soon'.  Do not overpromise and then underdeliver.

I love the Tivo system but expected so much more as that is what was promised during VM marketing.  I am just dissapointed about the pace of progress and would like to see this rectified.  I'm a loyal customer looking forward to an improved experience of Tivo, with TV everywhere - this includes live TV/recordings/ondemand streamed to any device.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

Re: Pair device with YouTube should be a Tivo feature

[ Edited ]

The YouTube pairing is handled by Google, which is why it currently onlyworks on the YouTube app

Now, I may be speaking my mind too early here as the forthcoming iPad/iPhone apps may address this, but who knows.

This is what the iOS app for TiVo US can do, and on which the VM TiVo app is being based:

Program guide
Search TV & movies
Browse TV & movies
Explore cast & crew
Remote control
Schedule recordings
Manage recordings
Start playback on TV
Info on show currently playing
See recorded shows

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
Crafty
Manj75

The iOS capabilities list is a strong offering - do you know if and when it'll be available on Android?

The only thing crucially missing from the app is the integration of the Virgin Media Player to enable viewing of subscription content on smartphones and tablets, similar to Sky Go.  Would also be useful to view live TV and recordings on the go, but I know there is an issue with streaming rights with content providers.  I do hope VM can sort this out soon.

See my other post http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/Virgin-Media-Player-vs-Sky-Go-for-Tivo-on-the-Go/td-p/12920...

Please use plain text.
The Sorter
Tavis75

[ Edited ]

Manj75 wrote:

What I don't understand is why don't Tivo/VM take this feature and implement as a core feature, pairing of a mobile device to Tivo itself.  So, that the mobile device keyboard can be used to type on Tivo and other second screen features.  The issue I have is that many apps implement searching and keyboard entry in different ways, e.g. YouTube use the on-screen keyboard not the number keys on the Tivo remote, whereas on the Music On-Demand app you can use the number keys on the Tivo remote.  Surely, Tivo should/must enfore a unified UI and best practices for third parties to develop to. This is why Apple is so successful with their products.

There are 3rd party apps that can control the TiVo and which have full QWERTY keyboards that can used for text entry, i.e. Peanut and the API for basic control over ethernet is freely available (basically allowing everything you can do on the remote, plus text entry and a few other shortcuts).

Also, as you mention yourself, a lot the sort of functionality you're talking about seems to be covered by the iPad app. There are vidoes of the US version available on YouTube which should give you an idea of what to expect from it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6w3RUE8mhY

Please use plain text.