Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
anihubs

Linking a Samsung TV remote to the TiVo remote

When the guy came to take away my old Series 1 TiVo box and install my new one, he was pretty new at the job and couldn't find out how to make the TiVo remote control turn on and off my Samsung TV. I therefore always have to use two remotes and I don't think this is right. Can anyone tell me how to get my TV turning on and off with the TiVo remote. The TiVo remote does everything else e.g. volume etc.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
PrinterElf

Re: Linking a Samsung TV remote to the TiVo remote

Just go through the list of remote control codes here and one of them should do everything.

Loc: PR4 1, TV: XL+SkyHD, BB: 100Mbps
2x 1TB TiVo: {15.3.1.RC3-VMC-2-C00}
SuperHub: R37 {Modem mode}
I don't work for VM, and I don't plan to!
Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread (or if you're feeling brave, RTFM! :smileywink:)
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos + button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
bacus

If it's controlling some features but not others, then you may have the right code. If so, press and hold the green power button on the tivo remote. After about 2-3 seconds, the remote's LED will go green and it will send an on/off code to your TV.

Another useful one is to press and hold 'text' for a couple of seconds, again until the green led flashes. This allows the TV to cycle through it's inputs.

Hope this is of some help.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
anihubs

I appreciate your advice but that doesn't appear to turn off (or on) my TV. Even after carrying out your instructions, what happens is, when turning off both TV and TiVo, TiVo goes to bed but the TV makes a 'braaadding' sound and the TV screen springs back into life with "no signal" in the middle of it. I then need to find my TV remote to rid my screen of this message cos, if I press the TiVo green button again (as I did to turn off the TiVo box, it (the TiVo box) comes back on; same if I press the TiVo HOME button at the 'no signal' screen; good old TiVo goes 'braaadding' and springs back, ready to entertain me; when all I want him to do is bog off and let me go to bed.

How do I get TiVo and my TV to go to 'stanby' simultaneously?

Please use plain text.
Mythical
jb66

Hold power button for 4 seconds for tv to go off, 1 second for tivo
No longer registered
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
bacus

As jb66 says - about 4 seconds.

If your tivo is going to sleep, then you are not pressing it and holding it for long enough. If you press it long enough, the green LED on the tivo remote will come on at which point your TV should go off - then you can release it.

You cant put both tivo and TV into standby at the same time with one button press. You need 2 presses. One short for tivo and one long for TV using the same button.

Hope thats a bit clearer.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
anihubs

Hey...........success; that worked (holding the button down). Now, having said that; it worked to turn OFF TiVo and my TV. How do I reverse that to turn ON my TV and TiVo using only the TiVo remote?

Thank you so very much for your help.

Please use plain text.
Good to Know
Sarge

The exact same way, press & hold the button on the tivo remote & your tv will come on, press it quickly & tivo will come on.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
anihubs

Ooooooh yeah................duhhhh. Sorry for being a technophobic old dumbo and thanks again. You have made an old lady very happy :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Hunterdiver

Amazing .... I've spent days manually inputting codes, using 0999 and counting how far in I have got so I can skip when it doesn't work, trawled the internet for days looking for information.... and this is the first time anyone has mentioned you need a short and long key press .... Thank you :smileyhappy:  I shall be trying this when I get home

Please use plain text.