Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Making Waves
dwelly
Helpful Answer

Lights on Tivo - what do they mean?

[ Edited ]

Hi - I'm just over 3 weeks into a contract with Virgin (after 20 years with Sky) and I'm already totally scunnered by TiVo. This box was promoted as being the best thing since sliced bread - but unfortunately the bread I've bought is rapidly turning into toast!

I phoned customer services last week to ask why it takes so long for the box to start up. It's the 500GB TiVo. After being transferred through to three different people (not Tivo knowledgeable people apparently) a very nervous assistant told me it was normal for it to take between 5 and 7 minutes to switch on and even then I should wait another 2 minutes before selecting a channel!

I also asked why I was getting a red circle going round and round on my telly - it seems I was pressing the buttons too quickly. Oh, and I should always leave my telly and box on stand-by. I guess TiVo won't do much to save the planet then. Virgin of course didn't mention any of this before I asked for the TiVo box....

They also didn't mention my video and audio would be out of synch when watching programmes so when I'm seeing a mouth moving the words I'm hearing don't correspond to the image....very disconcerting. On the positive side, the picture on HD has been excellent but a bit blurry in "normal" digital, at least for football which I watch religiously. I also have two VHD boxes for multiroom which work well enough although disappointingly they don't record programmes. I had actually thought I had asked for two V+HD boxes in my original order but things got mixed up in the end because Virgin ignored their own original installation date and gave me no explanation for incurring a two week delay. I was very close to pulling out at that early stage and would have done so if it hadn't been for the insistence of my wife and son who were missing golf on Sky...

And then we get to today, the coup de grace.... no picture at all on the telly and lots of bright lights on TiVo. I told my wife I suspected this to be the sign of a dead TiVo - although I'm hoping that someone on here will tell me otherwise and knows how to fix it..... I've tried switching it off and back on, tested all the cables are properly connected etc but still not sign of life. I tried the support service but gave up after listening to background music for far too long. And now I'm here on this forum, moaning about the service I don't have and hoping someone has some answers and I can get my TiVo back working properly sometime very soon....is there any light out there in the darkness of TiVo land?

Forgot to say, the lights on the front of the box are, from left to right, orange, orange, green, red, red, red, purple. Is this the bad news I think it is? Either way, what are my options?

Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
Stepheninleeds

Re: Lights on Tivo - what do they mean?

I think you have a box that is about to die. Maybe one of the tech people can help you fix it, but be prepared to say bye bye to it & hello to a new one.

Yes, NEVER turn it off, it does not like that, it upsets it & VM send updates often so it needs to be on or on Standby.
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
dwelly

Thanks Stephen. The problem has not been resolved today and those lights are still on. Are there any tech people on here from Virgin who can help me with this?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
Stepheninleeds

YW. I think they will see this. There have been a lot of posts today, so that could be why they have not spotted this sooner.
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
dwelly

Still no techs....C'mon guys, surely there's someone with some advice... Is it not normal for a TiVo box to stop working after 3 weeks....?

Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
paultrademark

This forum is for community based support. If you’ve got a problem with one of our services and need to talk to us directly or it's an urgent problem, please contact us.

1TB TiVo, 500GB TiVo, V+,
XL TV, 120MB BB, M Phone
If you like my post or want to thank me, click on the Kudos Star or Mark my answer as helpful
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
dwelly

Paul - thanks for your reply. As my message clearly states I have been trying to contact VM (through official channels by phone and email) but in the absence of a meaningful response I've come over here for some support/advice.

I'm well aware this is a community support channel and not the official customer service area but clearly many others are having problems contacting VM and have come here for some help instead. It's also clear a lot of us are having problems with the 500GB TiVo box but VM either doesn't seem to have the capacity to cope or does not accept the seriousness of the problem. I'm not familiar enough with VM to know how they have dealt with these things in the past but surely it's not asking too much that they accept there's an issue with this particular box and remedy things as quickly as possible.

Update: On a more positive note, VM have now confirmed an engineer will come out to visit tomorrow afternoon. Fingers crossed for a good result....

Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
Stepheninleeds

[ Edited ]

Yes, the VM staff often help people posting here, sometimes resolving issues via advice or accessing the box, or by arranging engineer visits. It is not unreasonable for Dwelly to think this might happen with this issue.

Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
paultrademark

Am well aware of that, I merely posted the advise on the forums homepage that if its urgent its best to contact them direct as you might wait a good few days or more before you get a reply here.

Anyway, hope it gets sorted for you dwelly

1TB TiVo, 500GB TiVo, V+,
XL TV, 120MB BB, M Phone
If you like my post or want to thank me, click on the Kudos Star or Mark my answer as helpful
Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
Stepheninleeds

Then I apologise. We all know that calling them is like trying to win the Lotery!
Please use plain text.