Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
huss121

How can I transfer Tivo recordings to my PC or Mac?

I would like to transfer recordings from my Tivo box to my PC (or Mac) but have been unable to do so. I have installed the Tivo Desktop software, connected my Tivo box to my router with an ethernet cable, checked the network settings to make sure it has automatically picked up an ip address from the router (which I can ping OK from my PC), and set the Media Access Key in Tivo Desktop.

The Tivo box is not being detected, giving the message "Tivo Desktop did not find a Tivo DVR on your home network". I would like some guidance as I think I have exhausted all my options.  I have tried installing on a Mac, and the software doesn't even install, giving the message "Tivo Desktop can't be installed on this computer. The specified message could not be found for the index 19."

I would appreciate any guidance anyone might have.  Many thanks.

Please use plain text.
Wizard
sonydan2k10

Re: How can I transfer Tivo recordings to my PC or Mac?

you can't not at the moment
Please use plain text.
Superuser
PrinterElf

A little more information - you've visited TiVo.com I'm assuming, which, while the box has the same name, isn't compatible with the same TiVo in the US.

Yes the hardware is a modified version of the TiVo Premiere (it has a SCART socket which the US don't for starters), and VirginMedia still have to ask TiVo to code all their software updates, but that's where the similarity ends.

It's a VM product in the UK and it's subject to the wonderfully restrictive UK copyright legislation which, coupled with the content licensing agreements, at present don't even allow the streaming of encrypted recordings between boxes on the same network, let alone ripping them out to a PC or Mac.

Loc: PR4 1, TV: XL+SkyHD, BB: 100Mbps
2x 1TB TiVo: {15.3.1.RC3-VMC-2-C00}
SuperHub: R37 {Modem mode}
I don't work for VM, and I don't plan to!
Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread (or if you're feeling brave, RTFM! :smileywink:)
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos + button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
_Humphreys

This sucks, they need to find a way to add this functionaility, I can't watch the new series of Red Dwarf in HD as the box is always being used by someone else.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
PrinterElf

_Humphreys wrote:

This sucks, they need to find a way to add this functionaility, I can't watch the new series of Red Dwarf in HD as the box is always being used by someone else.

As I've suggested above, it will likely never happen.

Which means you'll just have to take charge of the remote! :smileywink:

Loc: PR4 1, TV: XL+SkyHD, BB: 100Mbps
2x 1TB TiVo: {15.3.1.RC3-VMC-2-C00}
SuperHub: R37 {Modem mode}
I don't work for VM, and I don't plan to!
Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread (or if you're feeling brave, RTFM! :smileywink:)
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos + button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
Please use plain text.
Superuser
Ernie_C

_Humphreys wrote:

Can you explain further? You can't get access to the box EVER to watch a recording?

Please use plain text.