A regular III
sphinx

Fast Forward & Rewind

Am I the only person that HATES the annoying rollback whenever using FF or RW?   And before anybody starts describing how to use this 'feature', I know how to use it, I just would rather not have it.  It irritates me in the extreme.  The only way to stop the rollback is to press pause, then play, when stopping the FF or RW which is a pain in itself.  Why cannot there be the option to turn this 'feature' off!

Please use plain text.
Whiz Kid II
zeke

Re: Fast Forward & Rewind

It's highly unlikely there will ever be an option to turn this off as it is a patented, longstanding and integral part of the TiVo feature set.

That slight backpeddle after seeking at speed is a brilliant feature, trust me.  Once you adjust to the timing you won't believe how accurate it can be in skipping just past adverts and landing right back on the program.  If you think back to when you first used a media player that doesn't skip back slightly after seeking, you'll probably realise you had to learn your way around that and compensate for that.  This is no different, and is actually more intuitive and logical.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Samsung LE32C530, Virgin Media TiVo, Acer Revo R3610 HTPC 4TB, Xbox 360 Halo Slim, Sony PS2HDD, Sony STR-DE595 Home Cinema Amp
Please use plain text.
A regular III
sphinx

This is not a dig, but everytime I mention that I do not like this 'backpeddle' feature I always get accused of not understanding it, or not using it properly, or not giving it enough time to get used to it.  Please accept that I am fully aware of how to use the feature. I have used it for over a year, tried to live with it for over a year, and decided after extensive use that I would much rather not have it.  I find it incredibly irritating, especially when rewinding. 

I would not want to deprive anyone of this feature if they choose to use it, I just think that the option should be there for anyone who wants to turn the annoying thing off.

Please use plain text.
Knows the ropes I
WayneC

I couldn't get on with this feature at first but wouldn't be without it now especially for FF'ing through the ad breaks and usually start replaying exactly where I want it to. I'm not so sure about RW and can take a couple of attempts, say when rewinding to replay some dialogue I missed. So perhaps the best solution would be to allow us to dial in predetermined amounts based on how accurate we are with it, then you could turn it off and I could leave it as it is for FF and tweak it for RW...
Please use plain text.
A regular III
sphinx

I find it most annoying on rewind.  I genuinely feel that given the FF & RW is so important, we should be given options to turn it off if we want.

Please use plain text.
A regular III
FliesOpen

Personalised delays? Yet Another Configuration Option?

I think you're looking at this from an IT perspective, not a consumer device perspective. You don't see Apple giving configuration away easily.

Please use plain text.
Whiz Kid II
zeke

sphinx wrote:

I would not want to deprive anyone of this feature if they choose to use it, I just think that the option should be there for anyone who wants to turn the annoying thing off.

zeke wrote:

It's highly unlikely there will ever be an option to turn this off as it is a patented, longstanding and integral part of the TiVo feature set.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Samsung LE32C530, Virgin Media TiVo, Acer Revo R3610 HTPC 4TB, Xbox 360 Halo Slim, Sony PS2HDD, Sony STR-DE595 Home Cinema Amp
Please use plain text.
Whiz Kid II
zeke

[ Edited ]

FliesOpen wrote:

You don't see Apple giving configuration away easily.

I wish they would; I don't agree with the general consensus that Apple get it "just right" and "everything works".  Every single Apple device I've used has these annoying showy fades/wipes/twists/pops and all I ever want is to TURN EVERY SINGLE ANIMATION OFF IMMEDIATLY.  A good UI is about kinetic speed - things appearing in a millisecond or two - not some "here comes a window, it's popping into view about now, heads up!" like I'm a child and I don't know how to use a computer.

So in some ways I know how the original poster feels when he says he hates the backpeddling behaviour on the TiVo ◄◄◄ and ►►►.

Please use plain text.