Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
One to Watch
themugger
Helpful Answer

Extending the RF signal from a cupboard.

Hi There, im hoping someone can help me with extending the RF signal from my TiVo box. I have just come over from sky and previosly used a sky link extender which connected to my sky box via a coax cable.

Setup

My TiVo box is in a media cabinet which has wooden doors next to my tv, i have all my audio/visual cables going through the wall to the back of the tv to keep things tidy. I currently still have the eye of the sky link rf extender wired through to the bottom of the tv.

The Tivo obviusoly doesnt have an coax output so i cannot use the sky link with the tivo box, has anyone any ideas on how i can extend the remote signal so i dont need to have the cupboard doors open all of the time and i can point the remote directly at the tv aswell???

Thanks

Tom

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
jpeg1

Re: Extending the RF signal from a cupboard.

I'm not familiar with the Sky box, but if what you want to do is control the TiVo when it's hidden in the cabinet then you can use one of the these. Put the IR receiver in an open place and run the extenders into the cabinet. Works fine for me with all my audio/video gear.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/remote-control-ir-repeater-115205 

Please use plain text.
Gandalf
Robert_W

Hi jpeg1,

Please note from the link you provided;

"Q) Does this work with cable set top boxes?

A) unfortunately not with many current cable set-top boxes as they use a remote technology known as IRDA which is not compatible with this device. if you are unsre it is worth checking with your STB box provider"

VM do not support anything like this, so while many have had success with similar products, if it doesn't work then VM will accept no responsibility for that failure.

Cheers

Robert Ward
Help & Support Forum Team

Got a problem? Check for faults online with our new service status and fault checker

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.
Brainbox
jpeg1

That's very interesting.

It works fine with my Humax terrestrial and satellite PVRs. I haven't tried it yet with my new TiVo as it's not yet fitted in the cabinet. When I've done that I will try it and report back.

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
themugger

Thanks for the info, does anyone have an alternative???

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Usually Always Right
sjp123

i think the remote is IR as opposed to IRDA

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
jpeg1

I have now moved the TiVo into the cabinet along with our other video and audio boxes, and it is being controlled perfectly with the Maplin IR extender. TBH I would have been very surprised if it didn't work because the device is effectively just an amplifier and doesn't modify the signal format in any way.

I didn't even need to fit one of the IR outputs against the TiVo sensor - it's picking up the signals scattered off the inside of the glass door from the three transmitters already in place near the other boxes.

Just to prove the point I moved a heavy chair against the front of the cabinet to block any possibility of the TiVo seeing the handset directly.     

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
themugger

Yeah, i got the wife to pick one up when in town just try this out and it worked perfectly so thanks for suggesting this.

Thanks

Tom

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
jpeg1

[ Edited ]

Glad it worked for you.

Forum Team  - please note that this IR extender does work with TiVo

http://www.maplin.co.uk/remote-control-ir-repeater-115205  

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
gmcgwam

I've just got a Tivo Box as a replacement for V+, which I have had moved to another room, and was using an IR extender like the one from Maplins, but it didn't seem to work.

Based on the advice here, I double checked with maplins, and they say this doesn't work with Tivos!  Is it the case that it doesn't work with the one I have, as I see that there are some people here using them with no issues?

Thanks

Please use plain text.