cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Are You Playing Right Now?

John_G
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

I've been a veteran of Gaming for many years now and seen it come from slow loading tapes like the BBC Micro (Which was released before I was born Robot wink) through the console wars of Megadrive vs SNES to Playstation vs Xbox to the modern day. 

So what are you playing now? Let us know what games you've been playing and give us a little description, the more obscure the better Robot Happy

I've recently gotten my hands on No Mans Sky on the PS4, one of the most anticipated games of 2016 and with good reason! So far I've only clocked about 6 hours but I've discovered and named 20 species of alien life, several planets and even named and entire Galaxy after myself. Because I have a massive ego Robot LOL There isn't much in the way of a tutorial so it's been fun just toying about and learning everything for myself. It's early days so I'm sure there's going to be more and more new developments for this game!

Let us know what you've been playing in the comments and happy gaming!

John

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

219 REPLIES 219

Shelke
Alessandro Volta

Naruto Ninja Storm's PVP side has died it seems, so few matchups happening lately... well the combat system in it is heavily flawed, so it's not too surprising really.

Currently my main played game for now is Dragon Age Inquisition GOTY edition. Also playing some other older games randomly on my PS3 and PS2.

John now you have clocked more time into No Man's Sky are you bored yet? lol

Majide!

Also as like Shelke looking forward to The Last Guardian have been waiting on that for years, so glad they waited to put it on the PS4 instead.

Also would have pre-ordered Final Fantasy XV but if I get direct from Square Enix, it will arrive later than the release date... which is very strange.

I played No Man's Sky with so much hyped eyes... close to 6 hours later the honeymoon was over, the game to me is the same grind every system, and it isn't fun. You can't be a pirate in the game either... which you were supposed to be able to do, or go after pirates - that is now if lucky an SOS signal when you scan the system. So much potential wasted 😞

There is Deus Ex Human Revolution soon as well as Legion at the end of the month.

So I will be busyish 🙂

Majide!

Shelke
Alessandro Volta

No Man's Sky did seem rather hyped... can you build bases in it? I think it would be cool if you could fly off somewhere and build yourself a base or space base etc. Just flying between planets for resources would get tiresome...

@DABhand did you pre-order FF XV through the PS store?

gds1972
Up to speed

I'm interested in trying No Man's Sky but I'm not willing to pay £45-50 I will wait until it's about £20, besides that I have a bit of a backlog of games to play on PS4 and Xbox One such as Fallout 4.

@Shelke wrote:

No Man's Sky did seem rather hyped... can you build bases in it? I think it would be cool if you could fly off somewhere and build yourself a base or space base etc. Just flying between planets for resources would get tiresome...

@DABhand did you pre-order FF XV through the PS store?

No Bases.

You start off on a planet not sure who you are with a damaged ship, you run around collecting resources to fix it, so you can leave the system... well you can identify new life forms and get money for it, or trade your minerals and learn languages while dealing with aliens.

But that is pretty much it, fly to a new system see what is cool, refuel ship, carry on, there is story progression at times... but meh it gets boring very very quickly.

Animals aren't as varied as they suggested, worlds are pretty much sameish, gravity is all the same on any planetoid.

As for pre-ordering, I wanted the Deluxe edition of FFXV for the Blu-Ray of the movie too, so will have to be physical copy. Besides downloading from PSN is slow, even with the virtual network method to grab a file and to send to the PS4.

Majide!

Shelke
Alessandro Volta

Gravity differences would have been nice. At the very least it would have to have buildable bases before I would even buy it. I'd fly around, find a planet I like and setup a home base. Maybe even have the ability to land/live/mine resources on meteorites, explore them also.

Does it have different kinds of stars (sun types)? like pulsars etc - maybe even blackholes?

I know that Elite Deadly has some of that stuff

There is a black hole or two, but that's part of the story.

I cannot say more without giving away that story.

As for stars, not really.

What was promised so long ago, did not make it in the end.

- No multiplayer

- No Pirates and you can't become a pirate

- The lifeforms are similar, and use the same models, you can only look at that alien pig face so many times... there was supposed to be dinosaur sized animals but not seen any.

- Everything is unique to you, nobody will ever see your planets or discovery, you do see ships of other players docking up in stations but you never see those players... which is weird because if the players are in the same station they must have discovered the same planets but yet they haven't.

It is a delight to start with, but gets repetitive very quickly. I had to get a refund via Steam and even then that was a fight until I got a hold of the Financial Ombudsman then got my refund.

I would wait until it is cheaper, as £39.99 is far too expensive for what you get.

Majide!

Shelke
Alessandro Volta

That's a shame, I was thinking of cool surprise events like arriving in a random galaxy expecting to find new planets etc. But all there is a super-massive quasar or something like that and it would be hard to hyper space jump away from Cat Very Happy

The game does sound boring in its present state.

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I've been playing No Man's Sky on PS4 since launch day and I'm still hooked, not sure how many hours I have put in so far.  From the reports I have seen the PC version is less stable.

It is a bit of a grind but I'm still enjoying the amazing landscapes and spotting shorelines of lakes that look like Mandelbrot sets, but I'm a bit of fractal geek. I'm only on my second system and I'm considering going back to my starting system as I hardly touched it in terms of exploration.  I have maxed out the journey milestones for "on-foot exploration", "alien colonist encounters" and "words collected" (results in babelfish rank which is nice).  I have learned 342 words, most of which are Gek and I am now able to follow most Gek conversations with still a few missing words.

The initial small number of inventory slots are a bit of a pain but now that I have found a few drop pods to get extra exosuit slots and got a better ship with more slots it is better. One of the things I discovered was that ship inventory slots can hold twice the number of stackable elements (Iron, Plutonium, etc) as the exosuit slots, 500 instead of 250. 

With regard to @DABhand's points:
I have been told once I was being scanned by pirates (i think) but haven't encountered any yet, just a sentinel ship that blew me up Smiley Sad  Although I have been sticking to mainly planetary exploration so far.

I encountered a few different creatures on my start planet but my current system is a bit sparse when it comes to fauna.  When you talk about alien pig face are you referring to an alien you interact with or creatures found roaming the planet?  The aliens you interact with are a bit samey, but as they aren't the randomly generated ones they will be. I've only dealt with the Gek and the Vy'keen so far.

In only my second system I have come across planets discovered by another player, but not any locations within those planets yet. AFAIK all the ships you see docking at stations are piloted by NPCs that you can interact with, not other players, so that would explain why they haven't discovered anything nearby. If you interact with them you can buy/sell goods or buy their ship if they have a better one and you have enough credits.  That is how I got my third ship after finding my second ship at a crash site and patching it up.

As for cost I used Tesco clubcard points to pre order it during their last double up promotion so it only cost me £24 in points and then I got a £2 refund on my credit card as they reduced the price at launch Smiley Happy

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks