Menu
legacy1
Hero
Message 31 of 96
Flag for a moderator

Re: Vivid 200 for gamers

Its beyond the level of craziness that by far exceeds my own that they are doing this package and must be with the hub 3 where the latency is worse then a SH2 I would say SH1 too and that will be correct in modem mode but for the sake of argument.

I mean no one will be able to question my craziness after this...and on that note....VM make a high end fast Docsis 3 chip with well coded firmware QoS modem only...I take one!

0 Kudos
lojelo5
Dialled in
Message 32 of 96
Flag for a moderator

This is what I couldn't understand.

Why can't the sh2ac handle the extra 8mb upload!! why did I have to change to the sh3!!

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 33 of 96
Flag for a moderator

lojelo5 wrote:

This is what I couldn't understand.

Why can't the sh2ac handle the extra 8mb upload!! why did I have to change to the sh3!!

Its a attempt to get gamers to buy the package without them knowing how bad the hub 3 really is and VM trying to get support that the latency issue has no impact on gaming but what VM don't seem to get is real gamers spend lots on their rig and likely have a good router too and their going to want to use modem mode for that.

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 34 of 96
Flag for a moderator

That's the point - what Legacy says. Modem mode and gaming is for real-time gamers.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
lojelo5
Dialled in
Message 35 of 96
Flag for a moderator

I told them I wasn't even a gamer and that all I need it for is the upload for personal backup use.

Then I was told the computer wouldn't let me have the firmware upgrade because it needed the sh3 to be sent.

0 Kudos
RailroadDeacon
Tuning in
Message 36 of 96
Flag for a moderator

Unless you're streaming your gaming sessions then there's nothing "for gamers" about this. Online gaming is all about latency and packet loss. The actual amount of bandwidth required is negligible.
legacy1
Hero
Message 37 of 96
Flag for a moderator

I've just had a theory about the latency issue with the hub 3 as best as I can work out its the ARRIS TG2492S which going by a pdf says it has a Multi Processor Technology with a 1.2GHz Intel Atom Core Application Processor so what if its power saving mode cause a random brief thread pause that does not happen all the time but if the power saving kicks in at just the right time or even when its increasing the processors ability to handle more then there is this random brief thread pause that could happen causing the extra xx ms delay.

Now I know what your thinking should I even be right that VM can just disable that...some how I don't think they will...

0 Kudos
boltedenergy
Superfast
Message 38 of 96
Flag for a moderator

Upgraded successfully...

but very jumpy latency spiking between a wired 1 gigabit connection and the SH3 router?? Smiley Tongue

SH3 with Broadband 200 Gamer EditionSH3 with Broadband 200 Gamer Edition

--I'm just another virgin user like you. Please mark my answer as helpful, if it helped Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Stythinator
Problem sorter
Message 39 of 96
Flag for a moderator

speed.png

Waste point having the extra upload speed 12mb isn't going to make much difference. However ... Hub 3.0 is really bad ... Much prefer the SH2ac just a shame we can't use that instead.

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 40 of 96
Flag for a moderator

legacy1 wrote:
Its beyond the level of craziness that by far exceeds my own that they are doing this package and must be with the hub 3 where the latency is worse then a SH2 I would say SH1 too and that will be correct in modem mode but for the sake of argument.

I mean no one will be able to question my craziness after this...and on that note....VM make a high end fast Docsis 3 chip with well coded firmware QoS modem only...I take one!

legacy1, NOTHING rivals your crazy. Not even mine and Im actually,officially, as mad as a box of frogs.

But I would agree it comes close.

Sheer marketing fluff of the first order. And not even RELEVANT fluff. The annoying thing is its ACTUALLY a good package- for streamers. Gamers that dont stream though will find nothing to impress them. Bizarre. Are marketing THAT far removed from what their potential client base actually want?