Menu
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 1 of 8 (640 Views)

Steam Offline Mode

Hi, this weekend my 200mbps broadband went down AGAIN, its been playing up over weekends for the last 6 weeks and now im getting the hump.

now i get BAttlefield 1, and 4 wont work without internet, but whats the score with Steam?

OFFLINE MODE? -- so why doenst a single game let me play single player even though all these games i have are single player as well as online, plus have cpu vs player modes?

am i missing some thing to make these games work without internet or is this just the way it is? (£40 games i cant play without internet>)

shocking! whats the point in offline mode in steam then?

****If I can help I will, I am an ex telecoms engineer and install/service engineer for Virgin Media and BT, Sky Talk Talk and Plus Net. If you like the answer I give please give it a thumbs up.. Glad to help Smiley Happy ****
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 2 of 8 (628 Views)

Re: Steam Offline Mode

It seems to be the norm that while games can have single player campaigns/story mode or player VS AI, there is a "login gate" to get by first. FPS games esp. are like this, even Diablo, Sim City and others have it.

I have a couple of random free games which work fine in steam offline mode. It's just the triple A games with the login gate that don't work for me in steam offline mode.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Up to speed
Message 3 of 8 (623 Views)

seems a bit harsh, we pay alot of money for these games £40+ and i pay more than that for 200mbps broadband, but when Virgin let me down i cant even relax and play a vs cpu of my games! thats just bloody annoying!

they need to change this so you can play singkle player without broadband! either that or virgin need to stop cutting us off

****If I can help I will, I am an ex telecoms engineer and install/service engineer for Virgin Media and BT, Sky Talk Talk and Plus Net. If you like the answer I give please give it a thumbs up.. Glad to help Smiley Happy ****
0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 4 of 8 (622 Views)

[ Edited ]

in my experience

1. you have to go online to sell steam to switch to offline mode

2.once you have succeeded with that, most stuff will run offline for 1 - 2 weeks before wanting re-authorisation

compare that with origin games - if the client cannot connect, it's a no gaming day:  Dragon age inquisition  point blank refuses to run in any mode without an internet connection and permission to run from the Origin client. And every ( frequent) origin update wipes my saved login credentials

& lets not even mention Uplay Smiley Happy

steam is by far the most forgiving of the 3, but their denuvo protection does them no favours

there's much to be said for ( and its arguably legal) downloading a DRM FREE version of your favourite single player purchased games, which WILL then run off line, and probably load faster also. Just get a file sync utility to back up your saves, as there  ill be no cloud saves or syncs.. 

some older games: mass effect 2 /3 , dragon age 2 can be frustratingly finicky to get the store bought version to run on a new PC., as the game server support is no longer a priority. or they demand obsolete GFWL rubbish ( yes, Fallout 3 - I'm talking about you ) the downloads are much more robust.

first thing I do with any new game is locate the save game folders and set up a backup of those into dropbox.. I don't fully trust steam/origin clouds

after much comparison timings, running from SSD etc I have to say that my dowloaded torrent version of ROTR loads much faster than my paid-for steam + Denovo protected version of the same game. - as in 30 - 60 seconds faster..

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 5 of 8 (609 Views)

sku11meister wrote:

seems a bit harsh, we pay alot of money for these games £40+ and i pay more than that for 200mbps broadband, but when Virgin let me down i cant even relax and play a vs cpu of my games! thats just bloody annoying!

DRM and authentication checks, that seems to be the bases of it. In some cases I just keep a game or two loaded, but minimized. So when I know I am going to be going through an intermittent outage. I get it loaded during the brief period it is up and make sure not to close it (just minimize it.)

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 6 of 8 (605 Views)

IN many games you can select connect to game servers or some such in game menus. Finding and disabling all such may help run things off line. You need to opt out of any rating tables, of having steam community running.... cloud saves, updates.

In the time all that takes you could have grabbed a fast torrent for offline use Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 7 of 8 (140 Views)

Using cracks to play the games offline isn't illegal as long as you own a copy of the game or you bought it from steam. 

0 Kudos
Up to speed
Message 8 of 8 (108 Views)

problem with cracks is they normally come with spyware/viruses or take ou to dodgy sites that just generally infect your pc with all kinds of crap

0 Kudos