Menu
Superuser
Message 1 of 13 (625 Views)

Retro or Nostalgia?

[ Edited ]

By dint of the fact that in our house the kids get the latest version of consoles etc and Daddy gets the cast off's, Ive become a bit of a retro gamer.

But actually Im quite enjoying it. I dont have a lot of time to play games, but when I do, current faves are my elderly GameCube titles (now running on Wii as my GameCube finally gave up the ghost) and some PS2 running emulated.

I was quite surprised at how some of those titles  stand up to today's. Okay the visuals aren't as good , but Zelda titles, Super Smash Bros, Pikmin are still great fun. Colony Wars on PS2 anyone?

Theres a thriving sub culture that does silly things like running Phantasy Star ONLINE servers so idiots like me can pay on em.

Have you revisited any titles from a while ago? What stands the test of time and what makes you think "what was I on?"  (I'm looking at you Paradroid Smiley Sad)

Superuser
Message 2 of 13 (609 Views)

Re: Retro or Nostalgia?

Hey - don't knock Paradroid.  It was actually a brilliant game.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Super solver
Message 3 of 13 (605 Views)

Zelda, good games, I still play tiger woods golf, but total annihilation is my all time fav, still have version of doom somewhere as well
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 4 of 13 (603 Views)

ravenstar68 wrote:

Yeah, WAS. Going back to it now I was completely baffled as to what I though was so good about it.  "Uridium" on the other had, still rocks. Andrew Braybrook the dude who wrote both also ported Rainbow Island's to the Atari ST. Rainbow Islands is one of my kids faves, still one of the best platformers ever.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 5 of 13 (602 Views)

J0hn wrote:
Zelda, good games, I still play tiger woods golf, but total annihilation is my all time fav, still have version of doom somewhere as well

Lmao just actually been playing the original Doom on a hacked up homebrew capable DS... Still great fun

0 Kudos
Super solver
Message 6 of 13 (597 Views)

I remember playing it for the very first time, I owned what was a very high end self built PC with the fasted HD, memory, discrete top ranged video card, it was great, the first time the pink blob popped up it made me jump, my boy then about 10 laughter his head off at me, and still mentions it, then of course when I let him play, he said, dad you have to sit with me as I don't want that pink thing to scare me Smiley Happy

You can get it to play in a browser on your PC, playing in a dosbox iirc

http://www.myabandonware.com/game/doom-1nd/play-1nd
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 7 of 13 (593 Views)

J0hn wrote:
I remember playing it for the very first time, I owned what was a very high end self built PC with the fasted HD, memory, discrete top ranged video card, it was great, the first time the pink blob popped up it made me jump, my boy then about 10 laughter his head off at me, and still mentions it, then of course when I let him play, he said, dad you have to sit with me as I don't want that pink thing to scare me Smiley Happy

You can get it to play in a browser on your PC, playing in a dosbox iirc

http://www.myabandonware.com/game/doom-1nd/play-1nd

And then- QUAKE!!

Still play that as well, runs quite nicely on my cobbled together out of spare parts the kids dont want PC....

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 8 of 13 (588 Views)

Kippies wrote:

ravenstar68 wrote:

Yeah, WAS. Going back to it now I was completely baffled as to what I though was so good about it.  "Uridium" on the other had, still rocks. Andrew Braybrook the dude who wrote both also ported Rainbow Island's to the Atari ST. Rainbow Islands is one of my kids faves, still one of the best platformers ever.

For me what was great was that it was original.  You started off as a lonely influence unit and had to hack or destroy all the robots on the ships.  The hacking minigame was fun, and if you got a good circuit layout you could hack a droid several levels above yours.  Add to that the loading screen that depicted a space battle.  It was definitely one of the top games for it's time.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 9 of 13 (579 Views)

Yeah the hacking mini game was good, it was one of the things that drew me into it first time round. The layouts became progressively more difficult, but still do-able (for the most part). Dunno what it was but when I fired it up on a C64 emulator I just couldn't get back into it...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 10 of 13 (569 Views)

I think the N64 had some unusual games - I loved Blast Corps

0 Kudos