Menu
Superfast
Message 11 of 23 (585 Views)

Re: Retro Games

1st game was a millennia ago, football on the Binatone TV Master Mk IV Smiley Wink, since then I've had nearly all the consoles(hand held too) & early computers too, Where Time Stood Still on the spectrum 128, get near the end of the tape & get "tape error, rewind & reload" lol, played some amazing games over the centuries Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 12 of 23 (571 Views)

[ Edited ]

The original Space Invaders arcade machine was one of the first arcade machines I played in 1979:

along with Dog Fight on the Apple II for computers:

Combat and many others on the Atari VCS when it came out over here:

and the original Multi-User Dungeons (first MUD/MMO) in 1985:

Yes I've been gaming a looooooooong time. Smiley Very Happy

In the first days of the Zx81, Spectrum, Amstrad CPC etc we wrote our own games because there were none.

Superuser
Message 13 of 23 (552 Views)

I'm going to date myself a bit but this was the first games console our family had

il_570xN.462342703_6wrh

It had 4 games - all variants of pong

Tennis

Football - Like Tennis but extra bats to represent the defense and attack - also borders at the top and bottom to make a narrower "goal" area.

Squash

Practice - like squash but only one player.

Ahh those were simpler times.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Up to speed
Message 14 of 23 (546 Views)

I remember Pong coming out! 

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got. Jim Elliot

I work for Virgin Media but respond here on an individual basis. No comment or assistance offered is done in any official capacity.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 15 of 23 (539 Views)

unbiased wrote:

Giving away my age here, but first games, pacman and combat on the atari 2600 Smiley Happy then my spectrum took up most of my time with chucky egg and bruce lee Smiley Happy

Wish I was like you age wish, but yeah pretty much my experience too.

I have vague memories of a friend of the family having an Apple II and playing sommat on that (flight sim maybe? Cant recall) But Atari VCS at my friends house is my first REAL memory, along with ZX81 games...oooh the graphics....

0 Kudos
Rising star
Message 16 of 23 (537 Views)

AH, so this is the "Old Gits Gaming Society" eh?

I'm likely not quite as old but my first experience was with a ZX Spectrum 128K +2 back when I was barely 3 years old. I still remember the glorious (OK, horrific but as a kid it was fun) sounds when you loaded a tape. Not so fond of the dreaded R Tape Error, however. Never quite got my copy of Attack of The Killer Tomatoes to work, though.
Superuser
Message 17 of 23 (534 Views)

Kippies wrote:

unbiased wrote:

Giving away my age here, but first games, pacman and combat on the atari 2600 Smiley Happy then my spectrum took up most of my time with chucky egg and bruce lee Smiley Happy

Wish I was like you age wish, but yeah pretty much my experience too.

I have vague memories of a friend of the family having an Apple II and playing sommat on that (flight sim maybe? Cant recall) But Atari VCS at my friends house is my first REAL memory, along with ZX81 games...oooh the graphics....

Designing graphics for games in the Zx81 days was more like playing black-and-white Jenga.

Superuser
Message 18 of 23 (528 Views)

Take THAT  Unreal Engine 4.....

ra2.png

Dialled in
Message 19 of 23 (421 Views)

Definitely old gits gaming society and proud Smiley Happy
Was just talking with a friend last night about bards tale on spectrum, loved that, although having to load in every single level off tape was a big pain
Also anyone remember that trying to get lenslok working for elite on old TVs, couple of goes wrong and had to start tape again to reload game...
Superuser
Message 20 of 23 (409 Views)

unbiased wrote:

Also anyone remember that trying to get lenslok working for elite on old TVs, couple of goes wrong and had to start tape again to reload game...

I remember doing that. lol.

0 Kudos